Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Summer Targets

2 minutes ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Especially given he’s an Arsenal player!

Didnt realise he was still at Arsenal. Shows he can't be that good if Arsenal have loaned him out again. They aren't exactly blessed with great centre backs themselves. Chambers is nowhere near the level of player we should be going for anyway, regardless of who he plays for. 

Here's a random one for a summer loan signing.. how about Diego Costa from Athletico Madrid..  think about the fear in prem defences seeing him and Vardy in the line up.

A loan because I can't see him as a long term solution due to age and possible attitude.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Pinfox said:

Here's a random one for a summer loan signing.. how about Diego Costa from Athletico Madrid..  think about the fear in prem defences seeing him and Vardy in the line up.

A loan because I can't see him as a long term solution due to age and possible attitude.

We thought Slimani had a bad attitude.

Costa is on a whole other level. Avoid.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Celta have a couple of other players we have been linked with this season in Lobokta and Brais Mendes. Are they still in danger of going down?

They could still go down, but it is looking unlikely now that aspas has come back. He makes everyone else tick and got them going again after they barely picked up a point while he was out injured for a couple of months. Very good battle at the bottom which could go down to final day with about 4/5 teams all starting to pick up points and their 3/4/5/6 place teams all dropping points to them just like in the prem. Mendez would definitely be a good signing for his buy out clause 

17 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Guy on the Celtic forum I'm on, seems to have a decent source at the club and is right more often than he's wrong when he airs things believes Calum McGregor is pushing for a move to Leicester in the summer as Rodgers wants him, I'd imagine he'd cost at least £15m but I'm hoping we'd get nearer £20m for him.  I can see there being an element of truth in this one as Rodgers loved him and turned him into the player he is today, he was largely a fringe player before Rodgers arrived.

I'd be disappointed to lose him as he is a terrific player but if we got £15-20m for him it would be good business for us as it's an area we are pretty strong and would add to the funds we already have to strengthen areas where we are pretty weak.  Also if we got Benkovic for another year (unlikely I know) as part of any deal I'd drive him down there myself!

In terms of what you guys would be getting with McGregor.  A very comfortable and accomplished footballer and technically excellent, never wastes a pass and it's not sideways passing like a lot of midfielders these days he attacks and exploits space very well with his passing and running ability.  Where he would fit in, in your side I don't know, particularly if you sign Tielemens, the thing about McGregor however is he is equally effective playing in a deep playmaking position as he is in an advanced attacking midfield role.  

Thanks for that.

What is your opinion of Benkovic and should his injury history be a concern?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tiny earl said:

Thanks for that.

What is your opinion of Benkovic and should his injury history be a concern?

No problem, Benkovic is a great player, has no obvious weakness in his game and could see him coping comfortably in the EPL, nothing seems to faze him and he always seems very calm.

His injury record is a concern it has to be said, looking at it positively though, given european qualifying, europe proper, cup competitions we play in excess of 60 games every season (from early July it took until April before we had a midweek without a match), with effectively a 2 week break between the season ending and starting so we don't get the chance to rest players and manage them properly, with less games you could manage him in that regard a lot better at Leicester which may see the end of his injury problems.

48 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Guy on the Celtic forum I'm on, seems to have a decent source at the club and is right more often than he's wrong when he airs things believes Calum McGregor is pushing for a move to Leicester in the summer as Rodgers wants him, I'd imagine he'd cost at least £15m but I'm hoping we'd get nearer £20m for him.  I can see there being an element of truth in this one as Rodgers loved him and turned him into the player he is today, he was largely a fringe player before Rodgers arrived.

I'd be disappointed to lose him as he is a terrific player but if we got £15-20m for him it would be good business for us as it's an area we are pretty strong and would add to the funds we already have to strengthen areas where we are pretty weak.  Also if we got Benkovic for another year (unlikely I know) as part of any deal I'd drive him down there myself!

In terms of what you guys would be getting with McGregor.  A very comfortable and accomplished footballer and technically excellent, never wastes a pass and it's not sideways passing like a lot of midfielders these days he attacks and exploits space very well with his passing and running ability.  Where he would fit in, in your side I don't know, particularly if you sign Tielemens, the thing about McGregor however is he is equally effective playing in a deep playmaking position as he is in an advanced attacking midfield role.  

I think this is who we will go for if we don't get Tielemans, is he anywhere near as effective as him? Likely not, but if he can create enough forward passes to the attackers then he'd be more than good enough for us. I've not seen enough of him, how's he faired when against the best in Europe?

56 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Like I've said to you before, I'd 100% take Calmac. Even if we did get Tielemans, id still like to see this happen as he could play instead of Maddison OR Tielemans, adds that depth of creativity and is a bit more box to box than anything we have just now. £15m sounds about right to me for an international with bags of European experience who's in his prime. 

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think this is who we will go for if we don't get Tielemans, is he anywhere near as effective as him? Likely not, but if he can create enough forward passes to the attackers then he'd be more than good enough for us. I've not seen enough of him, how's he faired when against the best in Europe?

He's no Tielemans but can definitely see a pass. What he does have over Youri though is he is a bit more all action. More of an engine that sees him get box to box all game. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

He's no Tielemans but can definitely see a pass. What he does have over Youri though is he is a bit more all action. More of an engine that sees him get box to box all game. 

Sometimes with uber-creative players like Tielemans, it's not about a lack of engine or pace.  I think they like to disappear at times, observing rather than participating, looking for opportunities for a quick strike.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Put in man of the match performances and scored in the Champions League and Europa League against Bayern Munich and Zenit St Petersburg.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Like I've said to you before, I'd 100% take Calmac. Even if we did get Tielemans, id still like to see this happen as he could play instead of Maddison OR Tielemans, adds that depth of creativity and is a bit more box to box than anything we have just now. £15m sounds about right to me for an international with bags of European experience who's in his prime. 

This post is bang on the money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Hope there's truth to this as he looks quite a special talent 

We might be more financially restricted than we think. The training facility is obviously very expensive and taking a lot of funds. It’s also our first summer without vichai, and as much as I think Top will be fine, he might be cautious spending large amounts given how unsuccessful lots of our other big money signings have been. Just a thought more than anything.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Celta have a couple of other players we have been linked with this season in Lobokta and Brais Mendes. Are they still in danger of going down?

It’s tight, two points outside the drop zone with 3 to play. 

I know Aspas is 31 but his record in that Celta side is very good, and Rodgers loves him. I’d take him on the cheap as an option. I’ve prefer him to Sturridge 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dusty said:

We might be more financially restricted than we think. The training facility is obviously very expensive and taking a lot of funds. It’s also our first summer without vichai, and as much as I think Top will be fine, he might be cautious spending large amounts given how unsuccessful lots of our other big money signings have been. Just a thought more than anything.

I think we will know the answer to that if we let Maguire or Chilwell go for a price below what we think is low for a team not under pressure to sell. Don't forget infrastructure can be paid for without it being generated by the revenue of the club, now i'm not saying Top will simply chuff it up out of him and his families wealth but the fact they can do without it impacting on FFP is important. I suspect there'll be numerous loans linked to this that will be paid off over a period of time that enables us to still carry on progressing the team on the pitch. Rodgers has talked a fair bit about us potentially needing to spend significant amounts of money, he did say in his first press conference they hadn't discussed actual figures but i'd be amazed if he hasn't by now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Manini said:

It’s tight, two points outside the drop zone with 3 to play. 

I know Aspas is 31 but his record in that Celta side is very good, and Rodgers loves him. I’d take him on the cheap as an option. I’ve prefer him to Sturridge 

I don't think Aspas at his peak had the physicality or athleticism to be a success in the premier league so at 31 now I doubt he'd be a good signing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I don't think Aspas at his peak had the physicality or athleticism to be a success in the premier league so at 31 now I doubt he'd be a good signing.

He played 14 times and was in the same Squad as Luis Suarez and Sturridge when he was also on fire. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you but I don’t think he had a fair crack of the whip either. 

3 minutes ago, Manini said:

He played 14 times and was in the same Squad as Luis Suarez and Sturridge when he was also on fire. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you but I don’t think he had a fair crack of the whip either. 

All valid points I just don't think he's suited to the premier league.