Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Job

On 11/05/2019 at 15:36, Dr The Singh said:

Looking forward to getting a promotion at the end of the month, if not, I've been offered another job....happy days

Have you been cast as Fonz in a remake? You seem a cool enough dude for that.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently working on a river cruise line as a Chef de rang. We travel from Budapest to Amsterdam, going through Germany and Austria. But hopefully want to save the money to start my own business. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/05/2019 at 10:55, egg_fried_rice said:

Is there anyone who feels like they found their calling in their occupation?

As for holidays, I get a measly 20 days plus bank hols, and I have to take some of those 20 days over the enforced Christmas shutdown. Pathetic really.

Yeh...paid-early-retirement.

Perfect!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2019 at 15:58, Merging Cultures said:

I've got two written assessments to do for the UN, today and Monday. Bricking it. I've no idea what to expect. I've been doing some research, but it's not 100% clear on what format they take. Send some good thoughts this way!

How did you get on?... or is this whole bloody Iran thing down to your watching Leicester instead of writing good UN reports?

2 hours ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

Anyone work for an electrical installation company? Going to start getting in touch with some companies this weekend. 

Via an Apprenticeship route?

Quite a few small electrical firms are becoming more willing to take one of these on.

6 minutes ago, Vince Vega said:

Just being made redundant.  Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that.

What is it you did? Maybe look at what skills you have and what areas you think you are good at / would like to do, eg, would you prefer to or are you creative / are you good with logistics / do you like managing people, etc.

Maybe when you break in down that way then you give you an idea on what types of roles demand those skills.

Also be realistic on how much time and money you are willing to put into place (if thats neccessary for a change).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The job hunt post Uni is a bit disheartening. Not necessarily the potential rejections, just the waiting behind each stage and the inevitable companies that don't bother responding to you.

I must admit the process seems to be designed to be as depressing as possible and I agree with you 100% that it is the fact that often you do not even get feedback that is worse than rejection.  All I can advise is to keep plugging away and save every application that you put forward so that you can copy and paste and use for future applications to save time.

Edited by RumbleFox

15 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I must admit the process seems to be designed to be as depressing as possible and I agree with you 100% that it is the fact that often you do not even get feedback that is worse than rejection.  All I can advise is to keep plugging away and save every application that you put forward so that you can copy and paste and use for future applications to save time.

It really does bug Me, after you've spent time applying that places can't put together a standard email to reject you. 

Yeah I've got the classic cover letter and other applications saved to be able to copy over.

• Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

It really does bug Me, after you've spent time applying that places can't put together a standard email to reject you. 

Yeah I've got the classic cover letter and other applications saved to be able to copy over.

Yeah, I used to work for a charity that helped people back into work and it was the number one complaint from people.  It really doesn't reflect well on a company if they cannot even be bothered to inform you of their decision.  Good luck with it all!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

The job hunt post Uni is a bit disheartening. Not necessarily the potential rejections, just the waiting behind each stage and the inevitable companies that don't bother responding to you.

I remember it well. 

I was desperate to get into the music industry (notoriously difficult to get your foot in the door) and I recall being sat at my parents jobless and penniless emailing, calling and applying ad nauseum. HR departments not even bothering to feed back to you on your applications I remember being particularly irksome.

I was about to give up when I got the break I needed and that set my career off. 

Persevere, dude. Don't change your career aspirations because of a few knock-backs. Rejection is all part of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

I remember it well. 

I was desperate to get into the music industry (notoriously difficult to get your foot in the door) and I recall being sat at my parents jobless and penniless emailing, calling and applying ad nauseum. HR departments not even bothering to feed back to you on your applications I remember being particularly irksome.

I was about to give up when I got the break I needed and that set my career off. 

Persevere, dude. Don't change your career aspirations because of a few knock-backs. Rejection is all part of it.

This basically sums it all up perfectly. 

I've got about 7/8 jobs to come back, all that I believe I have the skills/experience to get. It's not as if I've gone for jobs I know I have no chance of getting.

Thanks, it's the waiting and being in limbo that I'm not enjoying. 

• 3 years later...

I’m late 30s now and never had a job that pays above minimum wage. I’ve had data admin and van driving jobs mainly, but I’m basically fed up now. I’m not sure what I can do though as I’m not qualified to do anything that would get me better paying job. Any advice welcome 🥹

14 hours ago, ozleicester said:

@UniFox21
Hows the employment situation these days? :)

It's been an eventful couple of years since that last post for sure! 

Recently started a new job, after my lab was closed, so still getting my head around that.

Still absolutely no idea what I want to do or where I want to go, which sometimes stresses me out and other times I'm completely fine with lol

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

I’m late 30s now and never had a job that pays above minimum wage. I’ve had data admin and van driving jobs mainly, but I’m basically fed up now. I’m not sure what I can do though as I’m not qualified to do anything that would get me better paying job. Any advice welcome 🥹

You're still fairly young, mate.

Even as a 31-year-old, I think am getting on a bit at times and feel like time is running out. lol

Even though money/pay to quite a big extent is important for obvious reasons (to me, as long as you have enough to pay the bills and enjoy life money isn't everything), what's even more important is doing something you think you'd enjoy really.

Do you have any interests which you could possibly pursue as a job/career at some point?

Edited by Wymsey

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Do you have any interests which you could possibly pursue as a job/career at some point?

My only interests are football and music, and I'm never going to make money through those even though I've tried - recently been an academy scout for a rival club but this position has ended (no more voluntary positions from now on). I enjoyed that, but it was never going anywhere. Work has just been delivery driver for the past year and half and today was the first time I enjoyed it when Youri opened the door! even though he wasn't happy, well he had that same glum look he has on the pitch so I hope it wasn't me lol I've got a bad knee now though and not sure I can carry on with this, physio said its tendon damage and the work isn't helping, but that's just made me realise how limited I am in what I think I'm capable of doing.

• Like 1