Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

10 of the Hardest Players in Leicester City's History

3 hours ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Since my first season, 1987/88, would say 

Steve Walsh

Gerry Taggart

Gary Coatsworth

Marcin Wasilewski

Ali Mauchlen and Paul Ramsey - though not sure about these two?

Toughest opponent seen, there IS only one

Billy Whitehurst. 

Didnt Walshie stand his ground against Whitehurst?

3 hours ago, woznotwos said:

No Mauchlen , always be the handiest player to grace an LCFC shirt IMHO and still looks like he would bite your nose off! Loved the guy.

Followed by Was and Walshy.

FEIBnOqW.jpg

Looked hard, sounded hard and he was never afraid to go in where it hurts ( usually the opposing recipient)

• Like 1

I remember Mick Harford was a sub for Wimbledon towards the end of his career.  As he was warming up and wearing a pair of leather gloves he was staring at Walshy and punching into his palm, psyching himself up. A bloke in the crowd shouted "HARFORD YA' B*****D" and broke his concentration!

I don't know about hard but Chris Kamara was a dirty so and so who had rucks with Ali and probably Walshy and Ramsey, just all filthy late challenges and a gob on him. Now he's making cabaret act CD's and hosting Sunday morning shows WTF!

It's got to be Walshie. Doesn't he still hold the record for red cards received in English professional football? For those too young to remember him, check out his tackle on David Hopkin in the 1996 play-off final. Hopkin's scream of agony can clearly be heard as Walshie puts in a thunderous tackle, which it has to be said was a perfectly fair challenge under the laws of the game as they then stood.

18 hours ago, woznotwos said:

No Mauchlen , always be the handiest player to grace an LCFC shirt IMHO and still looks like he would bite your nose off! Loved the guy.

Followed by Was and Walshy.

FEIBnOqW.jpg

Leicester season ticket holder is our Ali 

EDIT: By that I mean he goes to every game... probably gets the ticket for free, but still...

Edited by Houdini Logic
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 11:52, ThaiFox said:

They were three of my picks too. Along with Steve Walsh, Marcin Wasilewski and Neil Lennon.

You have missed out Len "Chopper" Chalmers who played for us in the early sixties but, rather ironically, was badly injured in the firs part of the 1960-61 Cup Final against Spurs, and was a passenger for the rest of the game.

S.Smith...

Chalmers,

Gillies 

Revie

I.King.

R.Norman

Appleton 

Rodrigues

Cross

Sjoberg

Gibson. Silky skills,but could dish it out....

B.Roberts..

Mentioned in dispatches...Wasileski

Maybe then Carlin,Kember 

I believe they were all harder, than anything we have seen the last 40yrs..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

On 25/02/2021 at 19:59, fazzyfox said:

I remember Mick Harford was a sub for Wimbledon towards the end of his career.  As he was warming up and wearing a pair of leather gloves he was staring at Walshy and punching into his palm, psyching himself up. A bloke in the crowd shouted "HARFORD YA' B*****D" and broke his concentration!

Vinnie Jones reckoned Harford was the hardest of the Wimbledon hoofers. Hard as in didn't feel pain!

Of the other candidates Walshy has to be the pick. He could hack it (and them) at centre-half and centre-forward. Nine red cards is inarguable evidence.

I recall Alan Woollett taking down George Best one Boxing Day fixture and standing over him tipping his hand as if drinking wine. But those were the times when refs allowed real thuggery to go on. I think Wortho mentioned in his autobiography that he'd once ghosted past a Leeds defender and been told by Johnny Giles that if he pulled the same stunt again he's leave him with a broken leg!

I recall a match on MotD when Ian Ure and Denis Law were engaging in fisticuffs while play was at the opposite end of the field - the cameras swung off the football to see which Scotsman was winning the scrap. David Coleman was going on about what a disgraceful exhibition it was :D.

Any centre-back and centre-forward before tighter controls came in had to be exceedingly tough - especially in old First and the early Premier. Crossy was tough - proven by the fact that he very nearly played 600 games over 16 years. I suspect both Frank Large and Andy Lochhead could dish it out. I'm left with the impression that Lenny Glover was a tough bugger too. Ali Mauchlen was a very 'determined' defender.

Elliot and Taggart and Ian Marshall. I stood next to him once at Leicester races. He was huge!