Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

10 of the Hardest Players in Leicester City's History

Gary Coatsworth was as hard as anyone we have ever had. That tackle in the play offs against Derby sent Paul Simpson about four foot in the air.

Also saw him in a ressies game where he managed to take out 2 of his team mates and 1 of the opposition in a challenge. Absolute nut case.

I think the age of the hard man is dying out but perhaps it is something we are lacking. 

Players like Maddison, Mahrez , Ghezzal, Gray etc look like they might fall over in a stiff breeze.  Harry and Wes are rocks but not dirty.

I reckon that Vardy in the current team would be a bit of a handful.  Small and wiry but spiteful and in your face.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Gary Coatsworth was as hard as anyone we have ever had. That tackle in the play offs against Derby sent Paul Simpson about four foot in the air.

Also saw him in a ressies game where he managed to take out 2 of his team mates and 1 of the opposition in a challenge. Absolute nut case.

Coatsworth all day. A panel beater from Darlington, says it all

I remember an early 90's league cup game (I think) where he took out Tony Cottee in front of the main stand, got up by stamping all over Cottee while still writhing on the ground, then just carried on with the game.

Also the Tommy Johnson play off final Wembley tunnel story - hilarious, but basically put Johnson out the game before a ball was kicked.  If anyone wanted that game at all costs, it was Coatsworth.

Mauchlen comes a close second.....

2 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

I wouldn’t say he was the Hardest and no one had mentioned him  but I reckon Iwan Roberts could look after himself 

I just think he had less to lose than other people when squaring up.

• Haha 3

After reading,again through this,reading others idea...Hardness is not about being plain  dirty,or wasting an opponent.

but taking it as well as giving it,but at the right time.Getting in a hard,solid but for your oppo,still a decent challenge,that only the players know & see or feel!!

being Awkward,fair,stubborn,and sometimes a downright bastard,but clever not slimey or just brutal...with some skill.!!

D.Nish

Appleton

Woollet

Sjoberg matched with Wasi.

Elliot,Cross matched with Huth

Mclintock  matched with Walsh

only examples,but I am sure there are 100s of individuals or match ups..

Ian Banks matched with Machlen..

David Gibson,with all his skill was no shrinking violet,though he also had the enforcer B.Roberts at his side.

Stringfellow,Leek,Weller,J.Sinclair,Goodfellow,and L.Glover,R.Fern  had to take some stick and Brutal knocks,aren they just has hard!! ?

Edited by fuchsntf

3 hours ago, huggybear said:

I remember an early 90's league cup game (I think) where he took out Tony Cottee in front of the main stand, got up by stamping all over Cottee while still writhing on the ground, then just carried on with the game.

Also the Tommy Johnson play off final Wembley tunnel story - hilarious, but basically put Johnson out the game before a ball was kicked.  If anyone wanted that game at all costs, it was Coatsworth.

I don't know the story.  What happened?

I wouldn't say he put Johnson out of the game since he scored.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, huggybear said:

Johnson ran us ragged in the first half and scored a superb goal.

8 hours ago, Foxes1 said:

None were as hard as this little lady.

Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of her. Thing is though most of this is just plain dirty.  not the same as hard at all.  To me hard implies a certain fairness, certainly within the spirit of the game if not the letter of the law. There are certain players that others don't like coming up against because they know they are going to have a few bruises at the end without necessarily  being constantly fouled but are also prepared to take it as well.

That all said I just loved it when Huth tried to yank Fellani's wig off. When he subsequently got an elbow on the nose that would have had most writhing around on the floor he just gave the hair bear THAT look. If I was him I would have cr*pped my pants

On 26/03/2019 at 20:16, sm1 said:

Steve Walsh, his run ins with Steve Bull were great

Marcin "flying elbow" Wasyl

Matty Elliot

Was thinking about Bull and Walsh ‘s running battles and trying to think of any similar spats since then. The only one I could think of is Morgan vs Deeney having had some good scraps over the years.

On 27/03/2019 at 04:27, Foxes1 said:

None were as hard as this little lady.

Elizabeth Lambert of the New Mexico Lobos ... I'd almost forgotten her.   Her dating clip was a classic

Edited by KingsX

On 27/03/2019 at 13:20, MC Prussian said:

As a striker, he only half-counts, but Steve Howard was a unit. Very hard to bully off the ball.

68136-stevehoward.jpg

One of our most under-appreciated players. Clearly not one of our best, but for where we were at the time, his contribution was second-to-none.

I'm also disappointed that there's been no mention of Tunch yet.

That list is laughable though.