Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Newcastle (H).. Up next.. Early thoughts.

Vardy clearly was struggling with his groin problem, when he came off a few minutes early on Saturday.Hopefully the medical team will patch him up, otherwise we may struggle to breakdown the toon. Must sign a proven goal scorer next season, to take  the pressure of Jamie,and use him more sparingly, to prolong his premiership career.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FoxInTheBox89 said:

Watching on the radio is very impressive actually

The ultimate test of a great football/sport announcer. Adding to our ability to visualize the match and its atmosphere. Something I miss in football broadcasts more and more is the space the announcers allow in so that you can feel the atmosphere of the game. Instead its incessant unimportant jibber jabber that occupies the game wall to wall. When I watch football I want to feel the stadium, crowd, players, singing, clappers what ever make me feel part of the match.

God I hate the incessant Americanization and crapification of everything. I'm here to watch English Football. The best of the best. To escape and to feel something different.

2-1 win. Won't be a walkover I'd imagine but we'll have just enough.

Only real concerns are silly ones really. Our record on TV this season is so bad its almost freaky and I seem to remember Puel having an early run of 4 straight wins, the 4th which was 1-4 away from home, before then losing the fifth game of that run 0-3 lol 

Obviously a must win if we’re to have any hope of 7th.

I’d like to see Soyuncu get another shot here. With Newcastle playing Rafa’s usual bus parking style his ability to initiate out of the back could be very useful.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FIF said:

Nah, Morgan should be phased out. He had better not be in our plans as a starter next season, so why bother wasting game time now when we have little to gain or lose from trying others.

I imagine that we intend to keep and play Evans so for me it'd be Evans and Soyunço - with the excuse of giving Harry time with his new family. If not I'd play Harry and Soyunço and have the most attacking, dribbling CBs in the league.

My 11 would be:

Ward (because he deserves some game time)

Chilwell

Maguire (or Evans) 

Soyunço

Ricardo

Choudhury (or Ndidi)

Tielemans

Maddison

Gray

Barnes

Vardy

I'd also be happy trying a formation with the same back line but 2 Dms in Ndidi and Hamza behind 2 AMs in Maddison and Tielemans and Barnes and Vardy upfront.

Why would we make so many changes to a team that has just won 4 in a row? I'd be amazed if either Ward or Choudhury start. We are building momentum and aiming for 7th, we don't want to start tinkering with a winning combination. I Think it will be the same team as against Huddersfield with Maguire possibly coming in for Soyuncu. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Why would we make so many changes to a team that has just won 4 in a row? I'd be amazed if either Ward or Choudhury start. We are building momentum and aiming for 7th, we don't want to start tinkering with a winning combination. I Think it will be the same team as against Huddersfield with Maguire possibly coming in for Soyuncu. 

We won't make changes and I'm also sure that Ward and Choudhury won't start but I think the rest of your thinking is flawed.

Here's why I would do it , even though I am 100% sure we won't.

1. We are at best the 3rd likeliest team to finish 7th. 

2. There is a 1 in 2 chance that 7th doesn't even give Europa qualification.

3. If there is no Europa qualification for 7th, or if for some reason we don't want to go through Europa qualifying, the small financial advantage of making 7th or 8th rather than 9th is outweighed by other matters relevant to our real goal of doing better next season.

4. Wes isn't starting next season, we should be using the remaining 5 PL games to help decide who is going to start/be kept and who Rodgers needs to replace. So Drop Wes and play Soyunço for all 5 games. Soyunço gets the chance to gain real experience and realise that he's part of the set up and so training hard over the summer will get him a place in the team. Brendan gets the chance to compare Soyunço to Benkovic in real match conditions.

5. Have we decided that we are keeping Maguire or selling him? If we're selling him then there is no need to play him again, it won't improve his price and only risks injury. Therefore play Evans - I think he gets us better results anyway and would be a great aide to Soyunço. If we're keeping him, then he's going to be a starter - let's see if he and Soyunço can form what would be a very dynamic, attacking partnership.

6.I'd play Ward for the last 5 games so that Brendan can see what he has and Ward can get some game time incase he's needed next year through a Kasper injury. Kasper has nothing to prove and has played a lot of games over the last few years - almost every league game and most internationals.

7. Hamza deserves some pitch time. I think he's something special. Brendan can check him out in real conditions whilst giving Ndidi a rest (again he has played a lot of minutes and internationals). Then he can decide whether Hamza should be on the bench - freeing up Mendy for possible transfer - or shipped out on loan. It's a no-lose situation.

8.I'd also have been tempted to bring in Iheanacho for Vardy, for a five match run to see what he has but Vardy is on fire with the new manager so I've changed my mind.

9. None of the changes I've made weakens the team, we'll lose no extra games because of the changes, so 7th is as likely ours with the changes as without.

10. Brendan will learn so much and be in a much better position for the beginning of next season.

7 minutes ago, FIF said:

We won't make changes and I'm also sure that Ward and Choudhury won't start but I think the rest of your thinking is flawed.

Here's why I would do it , even though I am 100% sure we won't.

1. We are at best the 3rd likeliest team to finish 7th. 

2. There is a 1 in 2 chance that 7th doesn't even give Europa qualification.

3. If there is no Europa qualification for 7th, or if for some reason we don't want to go through Europa qualifying, the small financial advantage of making 7th or 8th rather than 9th is outweighed by other matters relevant to our real goal of doing better next season.

4. Wes isn't starting next season, we should be using the remaining 5 PL games to help decide who is going to start/be kept and who Rodgers needs to replace. So Drop Wes and play Soyunço for all 5 games. Soyunço gets the chance to gain real experience and realise that he's part of the set up and so training hard over the summer will get him a place in the team. Brendan gets the chance to compare Soyunço to Benkovic in real match conditions.

5. Have we decided that we are keeping Maguire or selling him? If we're selling him then there is no need to play him again, it won't improve his price and only risks injury. Therefore play Evans - I think he gets us better results anyway and would be a great aide to Soyunço. If we're keeping him, then he's going to be a starter - let's see if he and Soyunço can form what would be a very dynamic, attacking partnership.

6.I'd play Ward for the last 5 games so that Brendan can see what he has and Ward can get some game time incase he's needed next year through a Kasper injury. Kasper has nothing to prove and has played a lot of games over the last few years - almost every league game and most internationals.

7. Hamza deserves some pitch time. I think he's something special. Brendan can check him out in real conditions whilst giving Ndidi a rest (again he has played a lot of minutes and internationals). Then he can decide whether Hamza should be on the bench - freeing up Mendy for possible transfer - or shipped out on loan. It's a no-lose situation.

8.I'd also have been tempted to bring in Iheanacho for Vardy, for a five match run to see what he has but Vardy is on fire with the new manager so I've changed my mind.

9. None of the changes I've made weakens the team, we'll lose no extra games because of the changes, so 7th is as likely ours with the changes as without.

10. Brendan will learn so much and be in a much better position for the beginning of next season.

Hamza in for Ndidi would weaken the tesm. I like Hamza and he has a bright future, but Ndidi has been immense since Tielemans came in. He really compliments Tielemans and Maddison and I'm not sure Hamza would have the same effect right now. I understand your thinking about Ward but we all know Kasper loves playing and I reckon he'd be ****ed off if he was dropped for the rest of the season. As regards centre backs, I agree about Wes as hes not going to play much next year and you're right that if Maguire is going then we have no need to play him either. 

Also, as regards thinking to next season, we want to finish this season strong which would give us confidence going into next season. We finished the great escape season in amazing form and then carried it on the next season, not that we will ever repeat that but im sure you get my point. I'm pretty sure Brendan will already have a good idea about the quality of the likes of Hamza and Ward without having to play them for the rest of the season. 

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whilst there is still something to play for i.e. the small chance of European qualification we should not make needless changes to disrupt the run we are on.

Its also key to keep the mood, confidence and form up until the end of the season, remember the last time we won most of our games at the tail end of the season? We won the league the next season on that momentum and belief. I'm not saying we'll win it again but the potential of this team is very very good.

Last thing we should be doing now is chopping and changing.

• Like 1

I think Morgan has to play to deal with Rondons physicality. I'd also let Maguire and Evens both have another rest and be fit and fresh for the big games coming up were we'll need experience. So that gives us another opportunity to see Soyuncu play again and again some more experience.

The rest of the team picks itself. It won't be a pushover but with our new found to your we should have too much for them.