Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

12 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Lots of things in life aren't fair though, like being born into the wrong body. I'm glad it's something I'll never have to experience. Come on, your really think blokes are going to start turning up en masse to slog women out of the park in club games because they think they can get away with it? Get real.

Are women at a lower standard "putting up with it"? Because the criticism in that article you linked wasn't coming from any cricketers and the photos of her with her team-mates show them all looking pretty happy. And I don't think the ECB's rules re trangender people and pro cricket have been drawn up because they know it's "unfair" on a physical level. To me it just seems they're trying to stop anyone pulling a fast one to gain financial advantage - a situation you're clearly worried about - without due process being carried out to make sure they genuinely live with the condition and aren't seeking to defraud the sport.

Would I let someone who was born male into a boxing ring with a woman? Well, that's not my call is it? There are people in the medical and boxing worlds far better placed to carry out due process on those decisions and make those judgments than you or I are.

Do I think blokes en masse will turn up pretending to be women? No. Although that's really relevant here.

This really is a bizarrre case, it's not like an under 14 team with a couple of growth spurts, it's a player playing at the same level of cricket they always have but just changing gender and now dominating the sport to the point where they are the best player.

As for the team mates being happy - are you surprised? They are a club/county team who have stumbled on the greatest "female" cricketer in history, a genuine wicket taker with the ball and someone who averages what Don Bradman did with the bat - I'm sure they are delighted. 

Maybe a balanced view would be asking what the second place team thinks of it all?

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Do I think blokes en masse will turn up pretending to be women? No. Although that's really relevant here.

This really is a bizarrre case, it's not like an under 14 team with a couple of growth spurts, it's a player playing at the same level of cricket they always have but just changing gender and now dominating the sport to the point where they are the best player.

As for the team mates being happy - are you surprised? They are a club/county team who have stumbled on the greatest "female" cricketer in history, a genuine wicket taker with the ball and someone who averages what Don Bradman did with the bat - I'm sure they are delighted. 

Maybe a balanced view would be asking what the second place team thinks of it all?

As I say, there doesn't appear to have been any complaint from cricketers about this. If the rest of the Women's County Championship was up in arms about it, then fair enough. But they're not.

Like it or not, Maxine Blythin is a woman who has every right to play the sport to the best of her ability - she'd be bringing the game into disrepute if she didn't. Physical advantage has only got her so far, she's still had to possess the sporting talent in order be able to exploit that properly. It's not her fault she's a good cricketer who was born into the wrong body.

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

As I say, there doesn't appear to have been any complaint from cricketers about this. If the rest of the Women's County Championship was up in arms about it, then fair enough. But they're not.

Like it or not, Maxine Blythin is a woman who has every right to play the sport to the best of her ability - she'd be bringing the game into disrepute if she didn't. Physical advantage has only got her so far, she's still had to possess the sporting talent in order be able to exploit that properly. It's not her fault she's a good cricketer who was born into the wrong body.

I haven't seen much comment either way, although in the current climate they'd probably be scared to speak up - you'd have the mob straight onto attack them as terfs etc in the same way the feminists have been attacked for trying to defend women's sport from this in cycling and athletics. 

I do agree on the second point though, she's only doing what she can under the rules - although she's actually an average cricketer, as her stats in the game suited to her body show. She's now an absolutely exceptional one because she plays in a format that her body shouldn't be.

In the same way I'd probably still be the best player in the under 12's league.

36 minutes ago, MattP said:

I haven't seen much comment either way, although in the current climate they'd probably be scared to speak up - you'd have the mob straight onto attack them as terfs etc in the same way the feminists have been attacked for trying to defend women's sport from this in cycling and athletics. 

I do agree on the second point though, she's only doing what she can under the rules - although she's actually an average cricketer, as her stats in the game suited to her body show. She's now an absolutely exceptional one because she plays in a format that her body shouldn't be.

In the same way I'd probably still be the best player in the under 12's league.

I completely understand the argument, though I do agree with VB in that she is completely entitled to compete in the eyes of the law and under the current rules of the game. The notion that somebody would go through a sex change in order to win a competition seems far fetched too, and a possible sequel to Nuns on the Run. Would you want people like Maxine to continue to compete with/against men, or to not compete at all? There doesn't seem to be a 'fair' and reasonable answer. I know there was a similar debate about a cyclist who's been dominating her sport too. 

Sport also has always been morally questionable over certain regulations and rules too, particularly with it comes to nationality. Cricket, football and athletics in particular. We can't produce top level long distance runners because the environment and climate can't compete with parts of North Africa etc so we are effectively buying success there. An argument could also be made that 'British' athletes are missing out as a result, or 'English' cricketers are being overshadowed for South Africans and the like. Yes that's a completely different situation to the one in question, but it still results in unfair competition and people missing out. 

As for the argument of a body being more suited to a sport etc, one could easily twist that in numerous ways. For example, in the Paralympics there are undoubtedly athletes who are 'more disabled', for want of a better phrase, than others. Of course organisers do their best to make it a level playing field, but it's not always possible. Yes you have to draw the line somewhere, but that seems like somewhat of a slippery slope when said athletes and para-athletes are entitled to be there. To be facetious, you could even go as far as to say that unnaturally strong, tall etc sportsmen and women have an unfair advantage because they are more suited to a sport than their peers. Like the time we played Leicester Nirvana at youth level and their entire team had the physique of a fully grown athletic man, whilst we had the physique of a weak Stephen Hughes. 

Edited by David Guiza

The Ashes should become a protected event and be broadcast on free-to-air television, peers have suggested in a report by the House of Lords Communications and Digital Committee.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/banner/peers_ashes_free-to-air_challenge_pay-tv.html

Really hope this can be looked at and seen as a compromise current rights holders can live with. Sky must see that they need to let some international cricket be shown on FTA, or face being lumbered with a channel dedicated to a sport no-one's interested in in years to come...

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/banner/peers_ashes_free-to-air_challenge_pay-tv.html

Really hope this can be looked at and seen as a compromise current rights holders can live with. Sky must see that they need to let some international cricket be shown on FTA, or face being lumbered with a channel dedicated to a sport no-one's interested in in years to come...

I just don't see how this is going to be feasible, it's just too valuable to the ECB to be handed over to terrestial TV.

That said I'm not that addicted to the Sky team now the channel has broken up the best sports commentary team I've ever heard booting out Botham and Gower.

Some sort of compromise is possible - but it can't come at the expense of the quality of the coverage. It's not just the cricket Sky do brilliantly, it's the preview shows, the documentaries, the verdict etc

Would this apply to away series as well? 

33 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Good to see Sibley and Crawley get scores, but I have to question again what good these stupid glorified two-day net sessions do them when we're trying to prepare them for Test matches? They're an absolute farce.

They’ll say it allows the batters to get in good nick, I’d say due to the lack of quality bowling to “test” the batters in these 2 day games they’re largely a waste of time, better than a net though but not by much.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 13:32, walkerleeds said:

Yep, very odd. Really like the look of the team they put out though. Seems a good mixture of youth and experience:

England

• Rory Burns
  • Dominic Sibley
  • Zak Crawley
  • Joe Root(c)
  • Ben Stokes
  • Ollie Pope
  • Jos Buttler(wk)
  • Chris Woakes
  • Jofra Archer
  • Stuart Broad
  • Jack Leach
  • Saqib Mahmood
  • Matthew Parkinson

It was enlightening to see Sibley and Crawley both hit tons still, and I really do like the look of that side, seems to be good balance throughout and I think with that batting line up in the Ashes, we may well have won the series. It's time to give Sibley and Pope a good run in the side for a while.

I like the look of this first test team under Silverwood, happy they have gone with the extra batsmen to aim to try and get above 350! If they get off to a good start i could see 9/10 of this same team play against the Aussies in two years time.

Rory Burns, Dom Sibley, Joe Denly, Joe Root (capt), Ben Stokes, Ollie Pope, Jos Buttler (wk), Sam Curran, Jofra Archer, Jack Leach, Stuart Broad

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh I love winter Tests. Starting your day all cold and disappointed when you check the score first thing in the morning.

This is going to be a good, if all too short, battle of a series. C'mon lads.

Love the Boxing Day Tests.

Get hammered and well in to a food coma on Xmas Day. Few hours in to Boxing Day, whack the cricket on :D