Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

Climate change: What can we do?

Guest MattP
28 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That they may be and again I agree this probably isn't the way to get things done, but once again, that changes nothing about the facts of the situation that they may or may not (clearly dependent on opinion) be trying to raise and simply dismissing what is going on isn't going to make it go away.

I guess I'm going to leave this particular part of the discussion at that because I think it is becoming rather circular.

Fair enough, to be honest as annoying as these people are I'm glad they are doing it.

I want to see progressive environmentally friendly policies if possible but it's a also a good thing the wider public know what would happen if the real hard left eco-loons actually took charge.

we as individuals can do all we can to help prevent climate change but it is down to governments and big companies and corporations to go above and beyond to minimize how they pollute the earth. with the protests in London all they are doing is creating havoc for ordinary people, what they should be doing is targeting governments and organizations. these companies make huge profits and do very little to put back into saving the environment. it is about governments promoting greener and more eco efficient companies and hitting the biggest polluters again and again. it is about sticking to international recognised treaties to protect the environment and punishing those who don't stand by them.

With regard to the topic question - persaude those disrupting in the UK to go to China, USA, India (the largest carbon emitters) if theythink their demonstrations serve any purpose.

On 16/04/2019 at 14:26, Dr The Singh said:

That's why we need better synthetic meat, at a affordable price.  Cows are smelly stupid creatures, and should have there own country, and we should let them have it, by giving them Coventry, where they can die on there own accord.

According to PETA "According to research, cows are generally quite intelligent animals who can remember things for a long time. Animal behaviorists have found that they interact in socially complex ways, developing friendships over time and sometimes holding grudges against other cows who treat them badly."

Relevanco of Coventry?

54 minutes ago, MattP said:

Some of the protesters have now glued themselves to Jeremy Corbyn's house lol

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/17/extinction-rebellion-halt-london-docklands-trains-carriage

So it’s working it raising awareness even if people say “bloody extremists” or take the piss at least they are talking about it.

You can guarantee gluing yourself to Jeremy Corbyn’s house will get a mention on HIGNFY or the news quiz or mock the week. It’s like any force for change you seem to need the extremists to rub people up the wrong way then the moderates come in and their approach seems a lot more palatable. 

You ask the government nicely to pledge to reduce emissions by 10% every year for the next 5 years you might get 5% total reduction over 2 years. Send in a bunch of nutters gluing themselves to houses, demanding cows be fitted with catalytic converters and we all drink our own piss then suddenly the moderate target looks a lot more achievable.

Edited by Captain...

22 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Which is why I put "" either side of the word poor.

Most First World people would consider them poor, but like anything, it's all relative.

It's been in the news that sanitary products are being given away free to girls at school who can't afford them... girls who probably have smartphones. I'm generalizing of course, there may be are a few genuine cases, but seriously, this shouldn't happen.

We live in a world of skewed values.

On that,I agree totally....But we see this grab for life's luxuries,in both those divides. Phone,their monthly costs,TV,PCs,their subscriptions for internet,but parents

can't sort their lives out,with food ,accomodation,hyegene and actually being aware or interested where their kids are...

skewed and screwed...

5 hours ago, oxford blue said:

With regard to the topic question - persaude those disrupting in the UK to go to China, USA, India (the largest carbon emitters) if theythink their demonstrations serve any purpose.

According to PETA "According to research, cows are generally quite intelligent animals who can remember things for a long time. Animal behaviorists have found that they interact in socially complex ways, developing friendships over time and sometimes holding grudges against other cows who treat them badly."

Relevanco of Coventry?

Well it will be an improvement to Coventry, we may actually be civil.

21 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I thought planking was daft but what's with all these hippies gluing themselves to everything?

They all get their 15 minutes of shame.

Imagine coming home to your children or grandchildren after that "happening".

"Pops, were you that guy who glued himself to Jeremy Corbyn's fence?"

*Echoes of "Hare, hare Krishna" can be heard in the distance*

Edited by MC Prussian

Guest MattP
17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As Cap says above, there's something in sending in the nutters first and then bringing in the moderates who suddenly sound sane. Not to mention it's not like asking nicely has really been working so far, has it?

Can't believe you can seriously say this, sending in the nutters just damages the cause and we have done loads with regards to the issue.

Have you actually seen the demands of this group? Net zero emissions by 2025 - you know that's totally impossible, it would mean banning flying, scrapping 38 million petrol and diesel vehicles and disconnecting 26 million gas boilers in six years.

But as I said yesterday, this isn't about the environment - it's about control, these extremists want to control what everyone else does, where they go, what they do and what they eat.

Not for them though of course, just have a look at the instagram pages of some of the leading people like Robin Boardman-Pattison and Tarquin Waley-Beauchamp - either they spent a lot of time on flights or are fantastic swimmers.

Edited by MattP

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Can't believe you can seriously say this, sending in the nutters just damages the cause and we have done loads with regards to the issue.

Have you actually seen the demands of this group? Net zero emissions by 2025 - you know that's totally impossible, it would mean banning flying, scrapping 38 million petrol and diesel vehicles and disconnecting 26 million gas boilers in six years.

But as I said yesterday, this isn't about the environment - it's about control, these extremists want to control what everyone else does, where they go, what they do and what they eat.

Not for them though of course, just have a look at the instagram pages of some of the leading people like Robin Boardman-Pattison and Tarquin Waley-Beauchamp - either they spent a lot of time on flights or are fantastic swimmers.

I'm saying that there is something in it because what we have done might give a pleasant feeling, it isn't enough and as such the current way of doing things isn't working, so why not? The difference between a current and a damaged cause in terms of final outcome is very minimal.

I agree that zero emissions by 2025 is totally unrealistic - hopefully saner heads get that that is the whole idea, you set that as a totally pie in the sky goal, and then you actually sit down and negotiate and come out with a zero or significantly lessened emissions target that is a little later and more achievable and gets the job done in time.

And again, AFAIC this particular group can talk politics all they like - the issues they highlight are real, present and answerable to something that doesn't care two testicles about any human petty political games - left wing, right wing, Stalinist, fascist or Monster Raving Loony. Why in the hell the climate future of our planet is a political football when no one, anywhere, regardless of politics, would escape the consequences of continuing the status quo is utterly beyond me.

• Like 1

You know that bit in Hitchhikers Guide when they send off all the useless citizens from Golgafrinchan in an ark fleet ship to colonize a new planet under the guise of they were the most important members of society. Well, that's what needs to happen to this planet.

As per this thread has been hijacked, but getting back to the original question, I reckon totally banning disposable nappies and wipes would be a massive start, considering the millions that are used daily. God knows how the human race managed without them until the late 20th century. 

It it would mean the younger generation getting their hands dirty and may use more water, but would save plenty on land fill and fat bergs.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:39, Trav Le Bleu said:

Also, eat what you buy! Don't go buying stuff you'll never eat. So much food waste - disgusting in a world where people are starving.

I totally agree. Food waste is disgraceful, when others are starving. We HAVE to act now on climate change before it is too late or we shall be facing total disaster. Look at what is happening in South Africa, where water is running out fast!

• Like 1

I recycle, I even wash a lot of packaging before I recycle it, I don’t eat red meat, I walk a lot as well but I’m buggered if I’m giving up my car, 15 minutes to work or about an hour on the bus, hmmm difficult decision! Maybe I’ll get an electric car once they cost about £2000. You want action, make it affordable but I’m damned if I’m having it rammed down my throat by a bunch of privileged folk who clearly don’t have to work in the real world for a living. 

• Like 1