Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

Climate change: What can we do?

13 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I totally agree. Food waste is disgraceful, when others are starving. We HAVE to act now on climate change before it is too late or we shall be facing total disaster. Look at what is happening in South Africa, where water is running out fast!

9 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I shall be lying on the runway, which will delight many of you!

OK, who are you and what have you done with the real Dangerous Tiger?

To be honest, with regards to the London protesters, what other actions/campaigns are best to do in order to try and make change relating to this topic.

Yes, there's loads who've been arrested for going over the top with their actions, but at least they're trying to make a point (albeit sometimes violent).

At least some multi-national companies are trying their best on the reducing plastic materials front, but it's very much up to the local governments to try and address to the public the current and future potential impact of global warming; to try and ensure no one turns a blind ignorant eye to it and do nothing to change some of their habits for the benefit of the environment.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I totally agree. Food waste is disgraceful, when others are starving. We HAVE to act now on climate change before it is too late or we shall be facing total disaster. Look at what is happening in South Africa, where water is running out fast!

But what other way can the EU use to keep the prices artificially high?

• Like 1

Nice to see Emma Thompson joining them. I take it she won't be flying all over to promote the new Men in Black film? Do as I say, not as I do.

Turns out she actually flew in from LA yesterday. What an absolute bellend of a human being. 

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 2

Targeting Heathrow will be a barrell of laughs. Considering our governments 'commitment' to reducing carbon emissions they seem to have missed the scientific fact that a third runway will mean that Heathrow airport emits more CO2 alone than the entirety of Croatia. Good commitments. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

You know that bit in Hitchhikers Guide when they send off all the useless citizens from Golgafrinchan in an ark fleet ship to colonize a new planet under the guise of they were the most important members of society. Well, that's what needs to happen to this planet.

How do you think earth was populated :)

Guest MattP
12 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Nice to see Emma Thompson joining them. I take it she won't be flying all over to promote the new Men in Black film? Do as I say, not as I do.

Turns out she actually flew in from LA yesterday. What an absolute bellend of a human being. 

Beyond parody these people. 

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Re freedom to choose: Is continuing with the status quo not inhibiting their freedom to choose not to leave the planet inhospitable to future generations? 

Yep, but then those on the other side might argue that not continuing with the status quo inhibits their freedom of choice right now too.

So, if those two factors are considered equal for the sake of argument, the pathway of lesser risk to the future should probably be taken...?

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, but then those on the other side might argue that not continuing with the status quo inhibits their freedom of choice right now too.

So, if those two factors are considered equal for the sake of argument, the pathway of lesser risk to the future should probably be taken...?

Absolutely, but unfortunately that's not the path of least resistance.

16 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Absolutely, but unfortunately that's not the path of least resistance.

No, it isn't.

That's a key part of the problem, really: part of the fight is against the human condition itself - to only consider the short term.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Perhaps, just maybe, looking at the message itself is more productive than decrying the hypocrisy of the messengers, unless of course you want an ready-made excuse to do nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47988337

I haven't seen any objection to Attenborough's program last night but instead a lot of engagement and interest, as has been the case with Blue Planet and Our Planet. A good way of going about it but of course it can't just be down to an Attenborough program. In fact the environment is steadily climbing in UK voter priorities and there is generally a positive feeling towards doing more than is being done. People are engaged with the message and to that end ER have done some good and pushed it further I'm sure. Plenty of us are well aware but could be more aware. 

But really don't be surprised that there is a target on the backs of hyped up privileged ***** disrupting the lives of people just trying to go about their daily lives so they can do some ludicrous dancing on a bridge. They're the people that should be blamed if their message gets diluted, its their self importance. So it's not about excuses, its about pricks who are stopping ordinary people doing what they need whilst they fly all over the globe without a care in the world. Parliament isn't even sitting and if they really must find something to do with their time why don't they target Shell or BP or even Goldman Sachs (they can kill two birds with one stone) rather than ordinary folk. Surely you must see why that might grate on people? Acknowledging that there's a lot of ***** involved doesn't change that I want more to be done on the environment. Calling them out as ***** and focussing on the message aren't actually mutually exclusive.

8 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I haven't seen any objection to Attenborough's program last night but instead a lot of engagement and interest, as has been the case with Blue Planet and Our Planet. A good way of going about it but of course it can't just be down to an Attenborough program. In fact the environment is steadily climbing in UK voter priorities and there is generally a positive feeling towards doing more than is being done. People are engaged with the message and to that end ER have done some good and pushed it further I'm sure. Plenty of us are well aware but could be more aware. 

But really don't be surprised that there is a target on the backs of hyped up privileged ***** disrupting the lives of people just trying to go about their daily lives so they can do some ludicrous dancing on a bridge. They're the people that should be blamed if their message gets diluted, its their self importance. So it's not about excuses, its about pricks who are stopping ordinary people doing what they need whilst they fly all over the globe without a care in the world. Parliament isn't even sitting and if they really must find something to do with their time why don't they target Shell or BP or even Goldman Sachs (they can kill two birds with one stone) rather than ordinary folk. Surely you must see why that might grate on people? Acknowledging that there's a lot of ***** involved doesn't change that I want more to be done on the environment. Calling them out as ***** and focussing on the message aren't actually mutually exclusive.

Sadly, for the most part I must disagree - this thread alone is testament to that. You're one of the few adding nuance, but that is lacking in the majority of cases simply because pointing out that hypocrisy is easier than admitting there is a problem and lives including their own might have to change as a result.

I can see why the double standard is irksome - and it is - but AFAIC that comes a very, very distant second to the message being carried and if that double standard then dilutes the message the blame for that rests a lot on those beholding the dilution, IMO; it's not like such opinion actually changes any of the facts regarding the way the environment is changing right now. I think you're certainly right in that governments, both in the UK and out in the wider world, could and should be doing more, though.

I've seen some objection from the usual talking heads on comment threads to Attenborough doing his biz (I'd call them ostriches but I think ostriches are actually more aware of the future and don't wear tinfoil hats) but I would hope there is indeed more engagement and interest wrt this issue, which will lead to action down the line. The infographics above give a good idea of what needs to be done, and it can be done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Sadly, for the most part I must disagree - this thread alone is testament to that. You're one of the few adding nuance, but that is lacking in the majority of cases simply because pointing out that hypocrisy is easier than admitting there is a problem and lives including their own might have to change as a result.

I can see why the double standard is irksome - and it is - but AFAIC that comes a very, very distant second to the message being carried and if that double standard then dilutes the message the blame for that rests a lot on those beholding the dilution, IMO; it's not like such opinion actually changes any of the facts regarding the way the environment is changing right now. I think you're certainly right in that governments, both in the UK and out in the wider world, could and should be doing more, though.

I genuinely find that somewhat bizarre. For me its almost always the fault of the message carriers. It always matter who is delivering a message and so if you, as someone heavily invested in inspiring positive activity, want to message to carry you should be bothered about who is carrying. You should be bothered about the double standards cos it affects the cause. A message from someone that doesn't even come close to abiding by what they are saying doesn't really help, particularly when their self-importance is getting in the way of ordinary people using public transport ffs. Because really what the whole thing comes as is to me, maybe to others or maybe not, is a group of people wanting to world run their way for which the environment is a proxy - even if its not I think it damages the cause rather than advances it.

Similarly, you'd also be worried about the exact message that is conveyed. The catastrophism isn't particularly useful, it inspires fatalism because it starts to look insurmountable. Need more positive selling (clean world=nicer experience of the world) or even simplify and disseminate those infographics rather than pure catastrophism. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP

I'm quite up for the Emma Thompson style of climate change activism actually. 

I'm going to carry on as normal, as many flights as I want, eat what I want but I'll tell people fighting climate change is important as it's the message that's crucial.

Never thought of myself as a green activist but this sounds OK to be honest.