Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Nigel Pearson Interview in the Mail On Sunday

I think well of NP and he is a vital part of our past. I genuinely wish him well and hope he gets another good job soon but ... I just can't see him succeeding without his two sidekicks around him or at least Shakespeare. It would be nice to see the latter rejoin him and doing what he does best, coaching and not managing.

Goes down in Leicester folklore for being in charge of the Great Escape (despite also putting us in that position lol). 

I love his no-nonsense attitude and he is obviously a very well disciplined and determined person. Obviously a shame how it ended with us but (the very shiny) silver lining being that we hired Ranieri and what happened next everyone knows about. 

I'm surprised he wasn't asked more about the events of Vichai's death and how he felt about it. The only bit mentioned is sitting next to Ranieri for the Burnley game. 

Some good encouraging words said about Rodgers though. 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think well of NP and he is a vital part of our past. I genuinely wish him well and hope he gets another good job soon but ... I just can't see him succeeding without his two sidekicks around him or at least Shakespeare. It would be nice to see the latter rejoin him and doing what he does best, coaching and not managing.

I think this narrative is over hyped. I think Pearson has more than enough credentials to succeed on his own accord in England. 

He's been unlucky at all the club's after us really;

Derby was just not the right fit, especially after he had not long left us and Derby fans knew he was our golden man. 

He did alright in Belgium, but as we've heard from the fans, it's a very tough and complex league. You don't have the time to develop youth, which is Pearson's style, but also you can't use your English links to get the talent you would like. 

At Leicester his links with the England set up were very profitable for us. A lot of the players we took on loan under Pearson have gone on to big things, Kane, Lingard, Spearing (not so much), Keane.... The list goes on. Not mentioning the ones we bought and nurtured into the talent they are today. He is an incredible man manager, he will do anything for his lads, while he demands that they do anything on the pitch for him, utmost respect is earned in his dressing room. 

An incredible man, who I have had pleasure to meet and talk to on several occasions. I still believe the theatrics at the end of that season were to take the pressure away from the players. The euphoria created an us against them attitude within the squad, a war against the rest, and boy did it work and it created the momentum and belief for the following season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Bloody love the bloke, I know it’s not popular, but of all the ex managers we’ve had over the years, he’s the only one I would love to see back here one day. Think he’d do well to pick up an ambitious team who are struggling, but willing to be patient maybe a Birmingham City type team or even Portsmouth I’d they fail to come up this season.

Watching that Sunderland documentary on Netflix and all I kept thinking was Nige would sort them out. As much as I love the premier League and obviously winning the title was once in a lifetime, those Championship years with Pearson in charge were some of my favourites as a Leicester fan

• Like 2

"I have been asked a few times if I had still been there would you have still won the title. My honest answer is that it probably wouldn’t have happened. I think we would have done really well but…I don’t know. I think Ranieri managed particularly well that year. It was a perfect storm of circumstances coming together. Does it really matter?"

Fair play for him saying that, and not dodging the question.

I always thought we would've done very well in 2015-16 if we'd kept Pearson.  But I have no doubt we wouldn't have won the league.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, worth_the_wait said:

"I have been asked a few times if I had still been there would you have still won the title. My honest answer is that it probably wouldn’t have happened. I think we would have done really well but…I don’t know. I think Ranieri managed particularly well that year. It was a perfect storm of circumstances coming together. Does it really matter?"

I always thought we would've done very well in 2015-16 if we'd kept Pearson.  But I have no doubt we wouldn't have won the league.

Sounds like something Stringer would ask him

49 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Maybe we, as a forum, can take his view on board and stop trying to put Ranieri down in the process? 

Pearson did an excellent job over two spells and left a great foundation in place. That is his legacy. We're a better club for his influence now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Foxhateram said:

I think this narrative is over hyped. I think Pearson has more than enough credentials to succeed on his own accord in England. 

Derby was just not the right fit, especially after he had not long left us and Derby fans knew he was our golden man. 

He did alright in Belgium, but as we've heard from the fans, it's a very tough and complex league. You don't have the time to develop youth, which is Pearson's style, but also you can't use your English links to get the talent you would like. 

At Leicester his links with the England set up were very profitable for us. A lot of the players we took on loan under Pearson have gone on to big things, Kane, Lingard, Spearing (not so much), Keane.... The list goes on. Not mentioning the ones we bought and nurtured into the talent they are today. He is an incredible man manager, he will do anything for his lads, while he demands that they do anything on the pitch for him, utmost respect is earned in his dressing room. 

An incredible man, who I have had pleasure to meet and talk to on several occasions. I still believe the theatrics at the end of that season were to take the pressure away from the players. The euphoria created an us against them attitude within the squad, a war against the rest, and boy did it work and it created the momentum and belief for the following season. 

A decent bloke he might be but it's a huge leap of the imagination to put a positive spin on his solo career. He was crap at Derby, luck doesn't come into it and he certainly didn't do alright in Belgium accordingly to their supporters on here. So the Belgian lower league is tough and complex eh? More complex than somewhere like QPR or Ipswich? Or was he relying on luck again? I respect him for what he did but he's impotent as a manager without his team round him and possibly,  just possibly,  he was the weakest link of the three. As for players on loan let's not kid ourselves, they would have been like everything else a joint decision. Nevertheless, I admire your loyalty as he was instrumental in two fantastic promotions but ... he couldn't have done it on his own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's a right media whore at the moment!

I wonder if he'd take our development squad... Would that be too small for him? If we paid him well and promised not to interfere and trusted him then I could imagine him enjoying quietly getting on and producing some gems over the years. 

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Nigel By far our most influential manager of the last few decades, if you look at the impact his time here has had on the club. And the only one I'd have back in a heartbeat.

Let's just hope we're never in a position to call him back because it will mean we need rescuing from the Division One again! He was excellent at that time but every dog has its day and he's had his. I doubt we'll ever see him as a Premiership manager again as he was out of his depth the last time he was there with us. People quite rightly remember the great escape and conveniently forget whose poor tactics and management got us there in the first place and there's more than one rumour that has him as not being responsible for that escape. Whatever the truth, football is a multimillion pound business and unlike supporters, clubs pick managers on their record not nostalgia and Pearsons since he's been on his own stinks. He may or may not be able to do a good job at somewhere like Ipswich but a lot would depend on who he has as  backup staff. It would be great if he and Shakey were reunited and together I think they may even achieve something again at a lower level. I wish him the very best either way. 

4 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Right, first of all there is no doubt that with his trusted sidekicks Shaky and Walsh, he done alot for our football club, and we owe him and them alot.

I still believe that fantastic as it turned out, in the great escape season, we should never have been in that position in the first place.

Pearsons insistance on staying in games rather than going into games with the attacking intent of the previous season, in my opinion, was what led us to be bottom of the league for three quarters of the season.

It was only when it got to shit or bust time and we had to win games to stay up, that he let the players off the leash, helped by a change of system too.

It was interesting that he chose the 5-3 game against Man Utd that he wanted showing on Goals on Sunday today, because it was while i was walking to that game, that they had a pre match interview with Shaky on Radio Leicester, where he said that the players had gone to see the management in the lead up to the game, and asked if they could really give it a go against United, against the managements initial intentions.

As for his appointment at Derby, their fans were excited when he took over, and had high hopes, but basically he was hopeless there, and i believe alot of that was because he didn`t have Shaky and Walsh along side him.

In Belgium he has been found wanting again, and i have seen from their fans on here how frustrated they were with him, and he quite rightly was sacked from their club.

In regards to signings, Pearson had Steve Walsh along side him to deal with that side,and Pearson trusted his judgement completely, he wasn`t the one scouting those players, thats what he had Walsh for .

You talk about the players that were brought in that have gone onto great things, but Harry Kane was played on the wing at times, Jesse Lingard hardly got onto the pitch to prove himself, and even Vardy was mainly used out wide by Pearson.

Of course we have all seen the picture of the Play off defeat at Watford haven`t we, with Vardy, Kane and Drinkwater sat on the bench, seems crazy doesn`t it..

I honestly believe that if Pearson gets another job in the championship or league one, and he is able to get Shaky and possibly Walsh back with him, then he can still have a sucessfull career in management, without them, if i was the owner of a club, i wouldnt go near him.

5 hours ago, smudger63 said:

Right, first of all there is no doubt that with his trusted sidekicks Shaky and Walsh, he done alot for our football club, and we owe him and them alot.

I still believe that fantastic as it turned out, in the great escape season, we should never have been in that position in the first place.

Pearsons insistance on staying in games rather than going into games with the attacking intent of the previous season, in my opinion, was what led us to be bottom of the league for three quarters of the season.

It was only when it got to shit or bust time and we had to win games to stay up, that he let the players off the leash, helped by a change of system too.

It was interesting that he chose the 5-3 game against Man Utd that he wanted showing on Goals on Sunday today, because it was while i was walking to that game, that they had a pre match interview with Shaky on Radio Leicester, where he said that the players had gone to see the management in the lead up to the game, and asked if they could really give it a go against United, against the managements initial intentions.

As for his appointment at Derby, their fans were excited when he took over, and had high hopes, but basically he was hopeless there, and i believe alot of that was because he didn`t have Shaky and Walsh along side him.

In Belgium he has been found wanting again, and i have seen from their fans on here how frustrated they were with him, and he quite rightly was sacked from their club.

In regards to signings, Pearson had Steve Walsh along side him to deal with that side,and Pearson trusted his judgement completely, he wasn`t the one scouting those players, thats what he had Walsh for .

You talk about the players that were brought in that have gone onto great things, but Harry Kane was played on the wing at times, Jesse Lingard hardly got onto the pitch to prove himself, and even Vardy was mainly used out wide by Pearson.

Of course we have all seen the picture of the Play off defeat at Watford haven`t we, with Vardy, Kane and Drinkwater sat on the bench, seems crazy doesn`t it..

I honestly believe that if Pearson gets another job in the championship or league one, and he is able to get Shaky and possibly Walsh back with him, then he can still have a sucessfull career in management, without them, if i was the owner of a club, i wouldnt go near him.

Because they weren't ready then. And it is well documented that Pearson's links with United and the England set up helped us to gain those players. 

I admit Walsh found Knocky, Mahrez ,Vardy, Kante etc but those Loans previously mentioned were very much linked with Pearson's tenure with the u21 sides. I have that on very good knowledge.