Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

30 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’ll get shot down here “why not?!” “Why so pessimistic” but there’s no way we finish anywhere near the top 4 next year. 

Top 6 will be a mighty stretch but just about doable if we have a good run. 7th is realistic, 8th/9th again would be my bet. 

Wolves and Everton are just slightly better than us IMO. 

Im not even meaning this in a negative way, I think we’d have had a good season if we finish above 10th, I think that every year, means we’re one of the top ten teams in the country, Leicester City, that’s outstanding in the grand scheme of things. 

We only finished a few points behind Wolves & Everton and we were pretty poor under Puel for the majority of the season, a full season under Rodgers will be different. Obviously both sides will improve as well but Wolves have the Europa to contend with and Everton/Silva are prone to horrific stretches of form so hopefully we can pip them and whoever out of Arsenal and/or United slip up

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

No way are Arsenal getting 4th, they’re a shambles and don’t have money to spend. If we keep hold of our best players (Chilwell and Maddison are more important than Maguire imo) and a few decent additions the Top 4 is there for grabs next year. Aside from Liverpool and Man City the rest are average 

We won't finish top 4 and I'm still pessimistic about the whole top 6 thing. Arsenal finish top 6 because, though they're shit away, they are clinical at home. This is where we have to improve. We can't be losing to Newcastle/Southampton/Palace etc at home.

I look at Rodgers at Liverpool, with a much better squad than he has here, and he lost games at home against the likes of WBA and Villa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

With Sarri looking like he’s leaving for Juventus it makes Top’s decision to bring in Rodgers early inspired. Chelsea might have an impending transfer ban looming but make no mistake - with Rodger’s previous Chelsea connections he’d have been all over that job. 

If Rodgers wasn't here (I reckon) this forum would be laughing at the fact he'd had potentially been linked with Chelsea. I remember when he was first linked on here and people were writing him off because "it's only Scotland". Now it's all changed. I like the guy, I'm glad he's here and he talks the talk but he won nothing at Liverpool. The second place finish with Liverpool was great but they had one of the greatest players this generation in Suarez who carried them really.

I'm always pessimistic and will get knocked down for my post(s) in this thread but some of you seem confident. Maybe that's a good thing, and probably better than being pessimistic tbh, but I just hope he doesn't suffer the same as Puel IF we don't push top 6.

Edited by Fox92

30 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

If Rodgers wasn't here (I reckon) this forum would be laughing at the fact he'd had potentially been linked with Chelsea. I remember when he was first linked on here and people were writing him off because "it's only Scotland". Now it's all changed. I like the guy, I'm glad he's here and he talks the talk but he won nothing at Liverpool. The second place finish with Liverpool was great but they had one of the greatest players this generation in Suarez who carried them really.

I'm always pessimistic and will get knocked down for my post(s) in this thread but some of you seem confident. Maybe that's a good thing, and probably better than being pessimistic tbh, but I just hope he doesn't suffer the same as Puel IF we don't push top 6.

Disagree with you there. He was linked with the Arsenal job last summer, so he holds clout. If Chelsea don't have the transfer ban imposed then Allegri or a coach of that standard will be linked, but if they do, then a former assistant manager who is known for being great at developing youth would tick all of the boxes to get the most out of Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham et all whilst they are unable to sign players. All of that would still apply if he was still Celtic coach, especially as he'd now have 9 trophies there on his CV as opposed to 7.

Anyway it's all a moot point. He's our manager now and Chelsea will have to get someone else! Again I think it depends on the transfer ban. If it's applied I think they will go for Lampard and accept being out of the European positions until the ban is lifted. If they can delay it then with their penchant for Italian coaches you'd be hard pressed to pass up Max Allegri.

1 hour ago, Manini said:

I’ll get shot down here “why not?!” “Why so pessimistic” but there’s no way we finish anywhere near the top 4 next year. 

Top 6 will be a mighty stretch but just about doable if we have a good run. 7th is realistic, 8th/9th again would be my bet. 

Im not even meaning this in a negative way, I think we’d have had a good season if we finish above 10th, I think that every year, means we’re one of the top ten teams in the country, Leicester City, that’s outstanding in the grand scheme of things. 

Whilst I agree with you that Leicester being a certified top 10 team in the premier league is something that shouldnt be taken for granted. Accepting we’re just behind Wolves and Everton is wrong. If we hadn’t been so shite in Jan/ Feb we’d be comfortably above them.

Also I think Man United and Arsenal would like to take more of our players than vice-versa 

Edited by Staffs Fox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

If we hadn’t been so shite in Jan/ Feb we’d be comfortably above them.

If my aunt had balls...

You can’t use hindsight like that. We faultered, Wolves and Everton didn’t, and we had many opportunities to make sure it was dead and buried at the end of the season too, don’t forget. 

I agree that accepting a fate behind Wolves and Everton does no good, I just think on current merit, with how the teams are this second, they’re better than us and last season proved that, the league said so. We will strengthen, so will they, hopefully we do it better than them and we can kick on but 1. I think Everton have the pedigree to finish in the top 6 and be consistent with that, 2. Wolves have the luxury of being able to sign bargain Portuguese internationals and mega rich owners, it’s going to be very interesting to see how it pans out next season. 

28 minutes ago, Manini said:

If my aunt had balls...

You can’t use hindsight like that. We faultered, Wolves and Everton didn’t, and we had many opportunities to make sure it was dead and buried at the end of the season too, don’t forget. 

I agree that accepting a fate behind Wolves and Everton does no good, I just think on current merit, with how the teams are this second, they’re better than us and last season proved that, the league said so. We will strengthen, so will they, hopefully we do it better than them and we can kick on but 1. I think Everton have the pedigree to finish in the top 6 and be consistent with that, 2. Wolves have the luxury of being able to sign bargain Portuguese internationals and mega rich owners, it’s going to be very interesting to see how it pans out next season. 

Wolves and Everton didn't falter. You sure about that? 

Wolves lost twice to one of the worst ever Premier league teams in Huddersfield 

26 minutes ago, Manini said:

If my aunt had balls...

Very true but last season was last season. My point is we are competitive with the likes of Everton and Wolves, I’m not saying we’re better than them but also they’re not better than us. With the right manager and a few signings we will compete with these teams and the gap is closing between the top 6 and us, Wolves and Everton.

Let’s be positive; Arsenal, Man Untied and Chelsea are there for the taking. Ambition is what we live for 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Wolves and Everton didn't falter. You sure about that? 

Wolves lost twice to one of the worst ever Premier league teams in Huddersfield 

Okay didn’t faulter at the wrong times like we did then. I did also say in that post we had opportunities to nail down 6th place towards the end of the season but didn’t. They both finished stronger than we did IMO (fixtures permitting I suppose) 

Guest SO1
2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

The infamous one man team argument. Sturridge, Gerrard, Sterling, Coutinho etc. It takes 11 men plus a squad (that was threadbare) to do what they did in 2014. You sound like a typical Liverpool Fan. :)

Edited by SO1
Coutinho

Guest SO1
5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

With Sarri looking like he’s leaving for Juventus it makes Top’s decision to bring in Rodgers early inspired. Chelsea might have an impending transfer ban looming but make no mistake - with Rodger’s previous Chelsea connections he’d have been all over that job. 

Your right. But I think he would have been skittish with their World renown lack of patience. Especially with their owner looking to sell. Still think he made the right choice coming here.

59 minutes ago, SO1 said:

The infamous one man team argument. Sturridge, Gerrard, Sterling, Coutinho etc. It takes 11 men plus a squad (that was threadbare) to do what they did in 2014. You sound like a typical Liverpool Fan. :)

I'm not doubting that, of course it's a team game, but after Suarez left Liverpool finished 6th. 

Guest SO1
1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I'm not doubting that, of course it's a team game, but after Suarez left Liverpool finished 6th. 

They lost 55 goals between Sturridge being injured for most of the year and Suarez leaving. There are many reasons why Liverpool finished 6th that year.

But trying to replace those goals with cheap punts is the biggest mistake they ever made. Watching Rodgers negotiate that season and finish where they did was an absolute miracle.

As i'm sure most here know I've got a serious axe to grind when it comes to Rodgers at Liverpool.

It's nice to see that FSG finally got their shit together and started spending decent money for players that they needed since Rodgers first walked in the door(VanDijk/Alisson).

7 minutes ago, SO1 said:

They lost 55 goals between Sturridge being injured for most of the year and Suarez leaving. There are many reasons why Liverpool finished 6th that year.

But trying to replace those goals with cheap punts is the biggest mistake they ever made. Watching Rodgers negotiate that season and finish where they did was an absolute miracle.

As i'm sure most here know I've got a serious axe to grind when it comes to Rodgers at Liverpool.

It's nice to see that FSG finally got their shit together and started spending decent money for players that they needed since Rodgers first walked in the door(VanDijk/Alisson).

I think a lot of this was down to the man in charge. I got a feeling that FSG never really trusted Rodgers to spend the dough, hence the transfer committee. I also don’t think Juergen would have gone their without license to spend - it’s worked let’s be honest 

Guest SO1
5 hours ago, Manini said:

I think a lot of this was down to the man in charge. I got a feeling that FSG never really trusted Rodgers to spend the dough, hence the transfer committee. I also don’t think Juergen would have gone their without license to spend - it’s worked let’s be honest 

Juergen rents Rodgers old house. What I would have given to be a fly on the wall during some of the conversations they had. Think that Klopp was the perfect person to take over after Rodgers because of the strength of his experience at Dortmund.

Brendan was the sacrificial lamb that bought John Henry & Co. more time as the knives amongst the supporters were getting sharpened.

Especially after failing to strengthen the club for the Champions League after being out for the previous three seasons. Interesting to see how important timing is to a managers fortunes at a club. Doubt he would come here if there wasn't the potential to do great things.

Edited by SO1

It always makes me laugh this mix of optimistic and pessimistic supporters who argue over who is better out of the mid table teams and whether or not we can make the top 6.

The reality is that the Premier League is split into three divisions.

The top 6, in terms of finances, global supporter base and sponsorship appeal are miles ahead of the rest, and only a set of extraordinary circumstances will stop these being the top 6 every season.

The next 8 are the clubs who are all capable of pushing to be the best of the rest, without really fearing relegation. This is where we lie and regardless of who has more money, better players, better fan base etc. which ever of these clubs who is the most consistent across the season will ultimately finish higher.

the bottom 6 is made up of the teams newly promoted and those teams with limited resources, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Brighton.

Now any team is a capable of having a good one off season - Burnley a couple of years ago or us winning the PL. Ultimately though teams will revert back to the group of teams most like themselves.

The thing with sport however, is you are one or two good or bad decisions from having that bad season, and if it goes pear shaped you can be royally in the shit.

What makes next season truely exciting for the 8 mid table clubs is, at least 3 of theirs top 6 clubs are experiencing those extraordinary circumstances and are there for the taking.

Long term Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United will rise again, they are too big, too much money not to.

However for one season, we have an opportunity to join them!

Last season there was nothing between the sides chasing 7th. If In our game at Wolves we had got the last minute winner against them instead of them getting it, we would have finished 7th. We didn’t and they qualified for Europe, but it just highlights how fine the margins are in the league.

I love the start of a new season as it gives all supporters the chance to be optimistic about the season ahead.

• Like 1

The difference with us and Wolves/Everton is that they'll have the same manager as last year, and we've got one who I think is an upgrade on what we had for the majority of last year and the form under him shows that. They both deserved to come above us but it's not impossible that we have overtaken them both.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Manini said:

Your making that judgement on last season? How about judging it on the time Rodgers was here. Let's be honest it was an easy ride for them for 2/3 of the season. 

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

Your making that judgement on last season? How about judging it on the time Rodgers was here. Let's be honest it was an easy ride for them for 2/3 of the season. 

Why was it an easy ride? Did they have some bye’s I don’t know about?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sylofox said:

Definitely wasn't. Silva was under pressure prior to about Feb time.

15 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

Very true but last season was last season. My point is we are competitive with the likes of Everton and Wolves, I’m not saying we’re better than them but also they’re not better than us. With the right manager and a few signings we will compete with these teams and the gap is closing between the top 6 and us, Wolves and Everton.

Let’s be positive; Arsenal, Man Untied and Chelsea are there for the taking. Ambition is what we live for 

Totally agree that Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd are there for the taking.

If Spuds lose big players they could also find it tougher.

I'm sure West Ham, Wolves and especially Everton are all as determined as us to take those three top six positions.

Man City will win it, Liverpool will be second. They are both light years ahead of the rest.

Then it's a mini league of 8: Spuds, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Everton, Wolves, Leicester City and West Ham for the other four top six places.

I also think that 6 or 7 of our players (Ricardo, Maguire, Chilwell, Maddison, Vardy, Evans, Ndidi) would slot straight into most of those 8 clubs' first team. With shrewd signings in the right areas, we could easily finish top 6 next season.

17 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I think we're better under Rogers.  Early days/new manager bounce, but only Liverpool and Man City got more points than us since Roger's arrival.

I'm not making any predictions about top 6 or 7 as there are several teams that could take those spots, but one thing I will say is that it will be a more enjoyable ride under BR. 

Edited by murphy

2 hours ago, Manini said:

Why was it an easy ride? Did they have some bye’s I don’t know about?

No we was just shite under CP. Had Rodgers done the full season we would have finished with a lot more points.

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

No we was just shite under CP. Had Rodgers done the full season we would have finished with a lot more points.

That’s a tough call to make, you’re assuming if we had Rodgers we would have signed Pereira, Evans, Maddison and Tielemans. 

I agree that Rodgers is a better coach and man manager of our squad than Puel, but he has an at best average record in the transfer market. 

Edited by Nickfosse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

Maybe, maybe not. It’s a hard call to make because having Rodgers at the start of the season could have meant we had different personel, but, as I said earlier, if my aunt had balls...

I agree though if we carry on with the form since he came in we will have a very good season. 

Edited by Manini