Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

7 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

OGS was a bit of a weird one, given his shambles at Cardiff. Smacked of  desperation on Utd's part.

Think Lampard could work though. Derby could easily have come up, and he got them playing some decent stuff. He's bright, he knows the set-up at Chelsea and he's got a good crew.

Managerial appointments are always a bit of a shot in the dark - if experience further down the pyramid meant anything, Ian Holloway should have been a great success for us. Seem to remember the reality being somewhat different...

It doesn't follow that a good player makes a good manager as we seen so often in the past. Playing with team-mates is a far different situation than managing them.

The real brains behind the Lampard thing is Jody Morris. He's been coaching since 2013 and the majority of that was at Chelsea doing their Under18s/Under 23s. Morris does the majority of the coaching whilst Lampard the other side of it. 

20 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

It doesn't follow that a good player makes a good manager as we seen so often in the past. Playing with team-mates is a far different situation than managing them.

Absolutely - but on the other hand, it doesn't mean they're bound to fail either. 

Just seemed to me Lampard's attracting a lot of stick slightly unfairly. Unlike Henry, he's proved at Derby that he's got some ability at the job. And - apart from Jose's second spell - Chelsea usually get it right.

I can't believe I am about to write this next sentence but....... I quite like Derby these days and would like to see them promoted.

Growing up they were my number one rival, hated them, but I kinda miss playing them now and would be nice to start playing them again so I can build up my hate sacs.  I reckon Lampard should stick with them for a wee while, seems a bit soon for move to a "Bug 6" club?

X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I can't believe I am about to write this next sentence but....... I quite like Derby these days and would like to see them promoted.

Growing up they were my number one rival, hated them, but I kinda miss playing them now and would be nice to start playing them again so I can build up my hate sacs.  I reckon Lampard should stick with them for a wee while, seems a bit soon for move to a "Bug 6" club?

X

That's the one thing I haven't figured out yet. In Liverpool it was Everton/United hate. At Celtic it was Rangers(of course). Seems all your rivals are in the championship? No hate?:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, SO1 said:

That's the one thing I haven't figured out yet. In Liverpool it was Everton/United hate. At Celtic it was Rangers(of course). Seems all your rivals are in the championship? No hate?:ph34r:

Och, I think it is different for different people.  I was born and raised in Burton on Trent which is about 10 minutes from Derby so was surrounded by Derby fans growing up so the local rivalry felt bigger for me.  You are right in that Leicester do not have "true" rivals like Everton/Liverpool, etc but there are a few.  Currently it is probably Spurs but that based on them being objectively annoying and almost challenging us during our title win more than anything else.  Luckily for me I hate everyone.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Och, I think it is different for different people.  I was born and raised in Burton on Trent which is about 10 minutes from Derby so was surrounded by Derby fans growing up so the local rivalry felt bigger for me.  You are right in that Leicester do not have "true" rivals like Everton/Liverpool, etc but there are a few.  Currently it is probably Spurs but that based on them being objectively annoying and almost challenging us during our title win more than anything else.  Luckily for me I hate everyone.  X

Spurs. Now there's a difficult club to hate. Especially Levy. Must be the transfer windows at Liverpool. Sanctimonious xxxx

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

We do not have a rivalry with Spurs.

We have a sort of one.  As I said, it's more just that they are annoying, I never called it a proper reivalry.  But if you think of every game in the PL with its current roster of teams I would say Spurs is probably the one I would most hate to lose?

X

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

We have a sort of one.  As I said, it's more just that they are annoying, I never called it a proper reivalry.  But if you think of every game in the PL with its current roster of teams I would say Spurs is probably the one I would most hate to lose?

X

I would be more annoyed to lose to Villa or Wolves plus basically anyone that finished below us in the table last year.

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Absolutely - but on the other hand, it doesn't mean they're bound to fail either. 

Just seemed to me Lampard's attracting a lot of stick slightly unfairly. Unlike Henry, he's proved at Derby that he's got some ability at the job. And - apart from Jose's second spell - Chelsea usually get it right.

Not sure that's fair, he won the league and the league cup the year before us.

Are you forgetting Big Phil Scolari, Villas-Boas and Avram Grant?

8 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Not sure that's fair, he won the league and the league cup the year before us.

Are you forgetting Big Phil Scolari, Villas-Boas and Avram Grant?

I’m not saying he’s great but he finished second and lost the champions league final to a John Terry slip. The team that beat him was probably the most unreal front 3 the league had ever seen. 

Personally believe that Lampard should keep intact his integrity and not fall for a return to a club where he's a legend already, but has been unfair on their past couple of managers - which could make him another victim of this, and some of his reputation at Chelsea diminished, if he actually decides to take the plunge and manage them but potentially gets sacked after a few poor results.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Personally believe that Lampard should keep intact his integrity and not fall for a return to a club where he's a legend already, but has been unfair on their past couple of managers - which could make him another victim of this, and some of his reputation at Chelsea diminished, if he actually decides to take the plunge and manage them but potentially gets sacked after a few poor results.

Are Chelsea really interested in making Lampard manager or is it just media invention?

Just readng BBC artcle about Lukaku...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48673454

Always thought he was a strange case.  His record is as good as anyone who ever played in this league (113 goals in 252 games and still only 26), he really is an absolute beast but for some reason no one quite seems to class him as a truly world class striker.  For me, a team like Chelsea should sign him and he is pretty much as close as you can get in this division (apart from Aguero and Kane) to a "guranteed 20 goal a season striker".  I honestly think he is one of the best in the league but he doesn't seem to quite "fit" into any of the big 6?  Is it a style thing?  Or am I massively over rating him?

image.thumb.png.85f897d4421596177793f8c609d8c156.png

Edited by RumbleFox

18 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Just readng BBC artcle about Lukaku...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48673454

Always thought he was a strange case.  His record is as good as anyone who ever played in this league (113 goals in 252 games and still only 26), he really is an absolute beast but for some reason no one quite seems to class him as a truly world class striker.  For me, a team like Chelsea should sign him and he is pretty much as close as you can get in this division (apart from Aguero and Kane) to a "guranteed 20 goal a season striker".  I honestly think he is one of the best in the league but he doesn't seem to quite "fit" into any of the big 6?  Is it a style thing?  Or am I massively over rating him?

image.thumb.png.85f897d4421596177793f8c609d8c156.png

His record against the top sides is massively against him. Rarely turns up when it matters. That and the fact he seems to have massively declined as a footballer at United has me thinking he’s not quite cut out for a title challenging team.

The West Brom/Everton(at times)/2018 World Cup Lukaku was/is a very dangerous striker. The one who is constantly falling over the ball and chasing after his first touch at United is shite.

Might be a case of just playing to his strengths though. **** knows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goober said:

His record against the top sides is massively against him. Rarely turns up when it matters. That and the fact he seems to have massively declined as a footballer at United has me thinking he’s not quite cut out for a title challenging team.

The West Brom/Everton(at times)/2018 World Cup Lukaku was/is a very dangerous striker. The one who is constantly falling over the ball and chasing after his first touch at United is shite.

Might be a case of just playing to his strengths though. **** knows.

Yeah, all good points.  I do think any team playing to his strengths would get 20 league goals out of him no problem.  Similar to Giroud maybe in that his style isn't particularly hipster at the moment?

On 17/06/2019 at 11:57, RumbleFox said:

X

Can I direct you to the 'unpopular opinions' thread in General Chat?

And then I'd advise a bit of a lie down, perhaps.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah, all good points.  I do think any team playing to his strengths would get 20 league goals out of him no problem.  Similar to Giroud maybe in that his style isn't particularly hipster at the moment?

Yeah I think so, hard to know what his style is at times too. Think his main strength in the past has been pace in behind which makes it confusing as to why he/United have tried to change him into a big bully of a target man. 

• Like 1

There are now just 12 days left on Rafa Benitez's contract and it is still not clear whether the Spaniard will sign a new deal as the silence continues at St James' Park.

The players are due back for pre-season training on July 4 and while those plans are in place, it is hardly been ideal preparation for the new season - particularly when Newcastle's rivals are doing the early business in the transfer window.

There is also uncertainty at boardroom level with owner Mike Ashley yet to receive a formal offer from Sheikh Khaled and the Bin Zayed Group.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-transfer-news-live-16440740

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goober said:

Yeah I think so, hard to know what his style is at times too. Think his main strength in the past has been pace in behind which makes it confusing as to why he/United have tried to change him into a big bully of a target man. 

Maybe he belongs at a club just outside the top six?  Or he may far better abroad?  Not even sure why I am interested, haha, I just always quite liked the big guy.  X

• Like 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7153823/Manchester-United-turn-former-Leicester-mastermind-Steve-Walsh-director-football-role.html

Manchester United to turn to former Leicester mastermind Steve Walsh for director of football role… with ex-midfield star Darren Fletcher set to play key role in summer signings

• Manchester United have been on the hunt for a director of football this summer 
  • United have discussed the possibility of giving the position to Steve Walsh 
  • Walsh played a key role at Leicester, bringing in Riyad Mahrez and N'Golo Kante 
  • Former United midfielder Darren Fletcher will also play a key part in signings 

By DAVID KENT FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 13:12, 18 June 2019 | UPDATED: 13:23, 18 June 2019

Manchester United have discussed the possibility of appointing Steve Walsh as a director of football.

Walsh, who played a key role in Leicester City signing the likes of Riyad Mahrez, N'Golo Kante and Jamie Vardy while chief scout there left his role as director of football with Everton last year.

Indeed his reputation was tarnished amid criticism over the Goodison Park club's recruitment under Ronald Koeman and Sam Allardyce. Over £150million was spent, however, many Everton insiders maintain that not all the players bought were down to Walsh as different voices within the club hierarchy fought for their own choices

Prior to his Everton experience, Walsh was highly regarded in the game as someone with an astute eye for a player and his opinion is still sought after.

He is understood to have support at Manchester United from leading and influential figures who point out he has great knowledge and experience to apply to their recruitment process.

As first revealed by Sportsmail in March, United have offered a role to former player Darren Fletcher which is as yet unspecified but expected to be broad in terms of liaising between the playing staff and board, advising on recruitment at all levels and implementing better structure around the training ground.

Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward is understood to be a big admirer of 35-year-old Fletcher and believes he has the intelligence and connection with the club to help transform the current malaise behind the scenes.

Woodward would still preside over transfer decisions with Matt Judge and John Murtough while taking advice from technical chief scout Mick Court but Fletcher's input would be valued.

Despite the call for a more experienced head such as Walsh, Woodward still favours the dynamic that would involve Fletcher in the hope that will help United and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to re-instil the club's identity and values.

United are continuing to push for young players who will listen to Solskjaer's advice and that of coach Mike Phelan.

They have been told to bid more up front if they wish to succeed in signing Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace for £50m and face a struggle to convince £80million-rated Harry Maguire to join from Leicester City with the player preferring to join rivals Manchester City.

Romelu Lukaku will be allowed to go if a suitable offer arrives while Juan Mata has been offered a one year contract extension and a role at the club when his career finishes.

United insist Paul Pogba will not be sold though Real Madrid will up their efforts to sign the Frenchman over the coming weeks. 

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Haha 1