Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Mike Stowell: Wolves can topple the elite
By Joe Edwards | Wolves | Published: 3 hours ago | Last Updated: Less than an hour ago

Former favourite Mike Stowell says Wolves can become a top-four team if they improve against the Premier League's lesser lights, insisting: "It's absolutely reasonable."

6V6UXXOBCBD57HEDFMACILD54A.jpg

Stowell, left, with fellow ex-Wolves stars Steve Bull and Steve Froggatt
Stowell made 378 appearances between the sticks in an 11-year spell at Molineux and is now a first team and goalkeeper coach at top-flight rivals Leicester.

And having won the title with the Foxes in 2016, he thinks Nuno Espirito Santo's side – who have Europa League qualifiers in July after a seventh-placed finish – can upset the odds themselves by breaking into the Champions League.

When asked if Wolves could repeat Leicester's mighty feat, Stowell said: "If asked, before we did it, I'd say no, it's not possible.

"But we did it, so there's no reason why it is not possible.

"It's getting harder because of the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool, as they spend, each year, another £80million or £90m – on top of what they've already got.

"Some teams, to get to where they are, would have to spend £400m now, and then millions every year.

"You're not catching those teams up unless you create a team and a work ethic, and Nuno has done that at Wolves.

"He has found a way of playing, and a style of play that is fantastic. They're a team who are good to watch, attractive to watch.

"They've been one of the best against the bigger teams, so if they can sort it out against (the struggling sides), they can be a top-four team – Champions League. It's absolutely reasonable."

Stowell said the Foxes are aiming to get back in the top four under Brendan Rodgers too.

He also reserved praise for Wolves' current crop of shot-stoppers – Rui Patricio, John Ruddy and Will Norris.

"Looking in from the outside, John has played lots of football and is an excellent keeper, and he's taken to that supporting role," said Stowell.

"Rui is a class keeper, and I'm sure they get on well and drive each other on.

"We've got three at Leicester in Kasper Schmeichel, Danny Ward and Eldin Jakupovic, it's a great working environment – one to push each other.

"Goalkeeper is the most difficult position because every outfield player will get rotated, but sometimes your No.2 keeper can only play two games.

"It's a tough one, but if you've got the right environment, the right keepers, it works well. It's the way forward."

I don't get that argument really, it's too hypothetical. There's no guarantee that they'll pick up points against Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Spurs etc again either and therefore they're surely just as likely to drop the points that they gained against the top 6 who will likely improve as they are to pick up points against the poorest sides?

If we'd have not dropped points to utter dross at home then we'd have finished top 6. I'm sure Everton, Watford and West Ham all had games that they threw away needlessly too. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I know we're better than Celtic but Rodgers left the club he's supported all his life to come here...

Wilder is from Sheffield, they gave him his big break, took them up two divisions. The context at Celtic was very different for   Rodgers as he’d took them as far as he could whereas Wilder has got so much left in the tank there 

Paul Lambert and Nigel Adkins both took clubs from L1 to Prem back to back promotions - and then weren't up to much. Both are now back in the lower leagues. I have that same feeling regarding Chris Wilder. 

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This would be an interesting one. Getting your team to the prem, but missing your chance to manage on it due to rows and disagreements off the pitch. 

Can't see him leaving Sheff Utd myself 

Would be surprised, he will want that chance in the Prem, but if he can’t get the players he needs then is it worth it 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I know we're better than Celtic but Rodgers left the club he's supported all his life to come here...

Is this actually a thing? I'd always assumed he was doing a Robbie Keane when he came out with that.

24 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Is this actually a thing? I'd always assumed he was doing a Robbie Keane when he came out with that.

Yeah think he mentioned it in the recent interview he did with the club. 

Keane was more 'support anyone he signs for' whereas not heard Rodgers do that with Liverpool or Swansea. 

Actually wouldn't be surprised if Wilder left to be honest. He quit Oxford in similar circumstances to go to Northampton. Being at the club he supports may swing it in favour of him staying however.

48 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Mike Stowell has earned the right to say whatever he likes, behave yourself.

Yeah sorry for objecting to our 1st team coach spaffing off about how great Wolves are going to be.

Sorry about that.

Mike Stowell at Wolves event, gets asked about Wolves and says they have potential to do well. It's clearly from a local paper so they've taken that extract and ran with it.

He probably talked about us but nobody in the West Midlands give a shit - hence the:

Stowell said the Foxes are aiming to get back in the top four under Brendan Rodgers too.

Guarantee he said a little more than that.

• Like 4

These types of stats really irritate me. Yes they've done incredibly well given they spent next nothing in transfers. But, they spent 400-800 million on their stadium, it's not that they're broke or short on cash.

They chose to spend that on a ground rather than invest into the team, they need to stop spinning this "poor spurs" narrative.

• Like 2

They chose not to spend money on players last summer, they weren't looking for the last quid down the back of the sofa.

I doubt Pochettino was thrilled they didn't add to the squad.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Corky said:

They chose not to spend money on players last summer, they weren't looking for the last quid down the back of the sofa.

I doubt Pochettino was thrilled they didn't add to the squad.

I just hate how they're playing the narrative as if they were looking for money. Their owner is just tight 

19 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This would be an interesting one. Getting your team to the prem, but missing your chance to manage on it due to rows and disagreements off the pitch. 

Can't see him leaving Sheff Utd myself 

I just see this as a ploy by Wilder to get more assurances from the board. 

• Like 1