Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

9 hours ago, Markyblue said:

So you are seriously going down the route of the paying public never being able to express an opinion on the team they support. The racism aspects are obviously disgusting but are we going to get to the point where no criticism can be made of highly paid professional players because it hurts there feelings. I dont boo anybody in my clubs shirt and never will but believe people have the right to express an opinion even if i personally don't agree with it.

One view of this.  Not aimed at you individually Marky -- just having my say to the forum as a whole.

- Constructive criticism is as useful as constructive praise.

- Getting it off your chest if a player has a bad game (or a few) is just being human, and FT and the pub are the place for it.

- We all have our opinions about each player.  Of course we’re on here with them; it’s half the discussion.  If you are expressing a very negative one, it better jibe with the play on the pitch, else it’s your own bias and you may hear it.  Likewise if you are calling somebody’s character into question, who you don’t know from Adam.

- Mindless, repetitive slagging and scapegoating of our own is crap -- and yes, you will get called out for it.  If posting it here is your thing, grow some stones and accept that others don’t respect it, and won’t mind telling you so.

On the Danny Rose subject. I'm not going question or criticise him for speaking out about depression. Just because he earns a shit ton of money and does a job we'd all dream of, doesn't mean he can't feel depressed, plenty of people from all walks of life, of differing wealth suffer from it. In fact his honesty is commendable. What he said regarding England though is different and if he played for my team would annoy me. He's just played in the biggest game of his life and he's been selected to represent his country and he's complaining about seeing the Liverpool players who defeated him. He should be disappointed to lose, but driven to get back there and win it next year. He should be proud and delighted to be one of the select few to be picked to represent his nation. Seeing those Liverpool should be giving him an incentive to push on a go one better, not making him feel like he wants to get out of there. If all this is how he feels, maybe he should retire now.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

On the Danny Rose subject. I'm not going question or criticise him for speaking out about depression. Just because he earns a shit ton of money and does a job we'd all dream of, doesn't mean he can't feel depressed, plenty of people from all walks of life, of differing wealth suffer from it. In fact his honesty is commendable. What he said regarding England though is different and if he played for my team would annoy me. He's just played in the biggest game of his life and he's been selected to represent his country and he's complaining about seeing the Liverpool players who defeated him. He should be disappointed to lose, but driven to get back there and win it next year. He should be proud and delighted to be one of the select few to be picked to represent his nation. Seeing those Liverpool should be giving him an incentive to push on a go one better, not making him feel like he wants to get out of there. If all this is how he feels, maybe he should retire now.

Exactly this his depression is f all to do with this . This is a man with the hump because he didn’t win and using ‘ depression ‘ to make his point I’m not buying it when he earns in one week what most people do in a year or two get a grip man

1 minute ago, mazarron fox said:

Exactly this his depression is f all to do with this . This is a man with the hump because he didn’t win and using ‘ depression ‘ to make his point I’m not buying it when he earns in one week what most people do in a year or two get a grip man

What he earns doesn’t really have anything to do with it either tbf. Imagine if you were a spurs fan and you heard those comments? You’d want your players, as you say, to be spurred on (no pun intended) to do better next year and fight to win it next year, to win something next year to appease the fans for what was a bit of a shit show performance on the night. Sounds like he’s just given up and can’t be arsed because they were beaten by a better team. His attitude is all over the place and it’s piss poor. I think if Southgate had any backbone and had seen those comments he should of had a long and honest chat with Rose about his England career....but to be honest he’d have probably been delighted to leave the England set up anyway by the sounds of it. 

44 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

See you've completely missed the point about just because someone earns a lot they can still be depressed. I'm not questioning his depression. He can be depressed even though he's millionaire footballer. 

What annoys and concerns me about him is his mentality as a sportsman. It seems defeatist and as if he's just not bothered. He's a paycheck collector going through the motions, he doesn't seem driven to win, doesn't seem driven to shut up his doubters. That's disappointing. After last year the liverpool players were saying how they were driven to get back to the final having lost, and they are saying how they want to topple man city next year after going close this year. They weren't saying that seeing Stones and Walker upset them because they lost the league. That's the attitude I expect from Rose.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

I think I completely got the point that he’s piss poor as a team player and ought to jack it in nothing to do with depression he owes it to his fellow team

39 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

See you've completely missed the point about just because someone earns a lot they can still be depressed. I'm not questioning his depression. He can be depressed even though he's millionaire footballer. 

What annoys and concerns me about him is his mentality as a sportsman. It seems defeatist and as if he's just not bothered. He's a paycheck collector going through the motions, he doesn't seem driven to win, doesn't seem driven to shut up his doubters. That's disappointing. After last year the liverpool players were saying how they were driven to get back to the final having lost, and they are saying how they want to topple man city next year after going close this year. They weren't saying that seeing Stones and Walker upset them because they lost the league. That's the attitude I expect from Rose.

mates 

1 minute ago, mazarron fox said:

I think I completely got the point that he’s piss poor as a team player and ought to jack it in nothing to do with depression he owes it to his fellow team

mates 

Yes but you made the comment about him blaming depression when he earns in a week more than most earn in a year, so clearly completely didn't understand that anyone can get depressed.

22 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yes but you made the comment about him blaming depression when he earns in a week more than most earn in a year, so clearly completely didn't understand that anyone can get depressed.

There are plenty of people who are depressed but don’t share it in the public domain so if he is that depressed leave football and choose a different life with all the money he has don’t keep on playing and moaning I completely get it 

1 hour ago, mazarron fox said:

There are plenty of people who are depressed but don’t share it in the public domain so if he is that depressed leave football and choose a different life with all the money he has don’t keep on playing and moaning I completely get it 

Yes that is right, people should keep their mental health secret.  It's a recipe for success.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes that is right, people should keep their mental health secret.  It's a recipe for success.

What I’m saying is as he has quoted football makes him unhappy so the answer is leave football. What he fails to say is football is making me obscenely rich so fook it I will put up with it yet tell people how crap it is

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think people might pontificate a little less about depression, when I would imagine you might benefit from a visit to the Depression thread. Does wonders for humility and thinking twice. 

True.  I am an occasional visitor but have never posted.  It is both heartbreaking and heartwarming in equal measure.  

6 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Lack of motivation, including at work, is one of the commonest symptoms of depression. I'm not sure how you can separate the two.

• Like 1

Imagine.

You've been depressed for years. Not quite sure when it started, but it seems like it's been forever. There's a lot of shit that's happened in your personal life recently, that has now made it all worse. It's a struggle to make yourself get out of bed in the morning. You've got no enthusiasm for life, much less work.

You worked hard back when you were younger, and got yourself a high paying job as a result. But this job involves frequently getting racist abuse yelled in your face by random strangers. For years on end. And journalists invading your privacy to try and get a juicy story they can splash all over the tabloids. You don't enjoy this job, but you can't leave. You're trapped in a contract with the company for many more years, which you can't get out of, and anyway you have no transferable skills to apply for any other job. 

You've worked hard for your company for many years. But the general public, when they think of your company, just associate it with failure. That extends to you. Even if you tried your best, you know there will be thousands of people out there speaking of you as useless and a failure. And your brain reminds you of this every day.

One day there comes a golden opportunity for you to change this public perception forever. You force yourself to work hard for many months, despite the numbness and emptiness you feel. You do incredibly well throughout, but just couldn't manage to complete one final project. No one cares about your successes, only your one failure. And there they are again, the national newspapers calling you a complete failure.

You're tired of it all. All you want to do is just go and get a job stacking shelves where no one knows you. If you could quit, you would, but you can't, because your contract is too valuable to your company. Like cattle.

Maybe go on a short holiday, to try and regroup and have some respite from it all? Nope. While other colleagues go on their summer holidays, you're contracted to a few more weeks of unpaid overtime instead. And you have to go, even though they've already found a newer, younger, better model to take over your position, as you're not good enough. The moment you haul yourself into work, there's your mates from a rival company laughing and reminding you that you are a failure. "Banter" they call it. But it's too much. 

:dunno:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Markyblue said:

So you are seriously going down the route of the paying public never being able to express an opinion on the team they support. The racism aspects are obviously disgusting but are we going to get to the point where no criticism can be made of highly paid professional players because it hurts there feelings. I dont boo anybody in my clubs shirt and never will but believe people have the right to express an opinion even if i personally don't agree with it.

just and fyi in what you can/t say at aussie rules....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-96-hours-later-afl-yet-to-respond-over-carlton-fan-ejection-leading-to-more-questions/news-story/888ec19815db7523bf840149f6488b9d

Fan was removed from the ground for...hes says......‘you can’t handball with one hand you bald headed flog,” shouted at the umpire

(note, afl handball)

Edited by ozleicester

On 15/06/2019 at 00:51, lildave3 said:

Why does this matter? I’m sure there’s plenty of people on this planet who would envy the lives of many on this forum...yet the depression thread has many pages. 

you're right - i was being too frivolous

13 hours ago, mazarron fox said:

Mate you just don't get it. You can't apply simple logic to depression or anxiety and there's no simple fix. He might love football and playing for spurs and that can also be the thing that making him depressed. It's confusing but that's life for some people.

The fact is that if he's depressed he might be depressed no matter what he's doing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

a lot of people in here who clearly have no idea of the absolutely relentless dark cloud that depression puts on a person irrespective of wealth, love or health.

get educated, please. 

Was about to post the same thing. And I can only imagine being in the public eye when suffering hardly helps him either. 

• Like 1