Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

Didn't look it in real time.

Minimal contact saw the ball going away from her so went down 2 strides later.

They're making a real meal of these decisions and then setting up the penalty. If this is what it's going to be like people will be going off for food and drink knowing they've got the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Minimal contact saw the ball going away from her so went down 2 strides later.

They're making a real meal of these decisions and then setting up the penalty. If this is what it's going to be like people will be going off for food and drink knowing they've got the time.

Plus the fact that if the keeper saves it VAR will insist on a retake!

when are they going to start adding in anywhere near enough time? we had about 6 minutes purely for the penalty decision, yet just 7 minutes added on? should’ve been double figures at least. 

1 minute ago, davieG said:

The knock out phase is really exposing the nasty side of women's football and the ineptness and indecisiveness of the refs.

Agreed, they keep talking about how woman are showing up the men in terms of just getting on with the game but in reality they are just as skilled in gamesmanship.

That was about as watchable an entry to the quarters as Cameroon v England.  US giving away a howler, Spain spending 80’ kicking the crap out of Alex Morgan, then the decider on a ridiculously soft pen.  Love Megan Rapinoe, though, she’s badass. 

God knows what to expect next v France.  This tournament looks wide open to whoever lifts their game.

I think this world cup shows what to expect from VAR in the Premier League. Officiating is subjective. When a penalty is given because of a foul in the box, VAR is going to be used to prove whether or not there was a foul, but not whether or not that foul deserves a penalty.

The debate on the two penalties is not whether or not there was a foul. Both times Spain went in for a challenge, did not make contact with the ball, but did make contact with the player. Anywhere else on the field, that foul is given 100% of the time. The question is, does that deserve a penalty?

That's my issue with the handball rule as well. In a perfect world, there would be an alternative punishment to a penalty for these types of innocuous fouls that don't clearly deny a goal scoring opportunity, but occur in the box. Perhaps an indirect free kick? I don't know. 

All that said, Spain fouled early and often. Sometimes, recklessly so. I don't feel bad for them lol

23 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

when are they going to start adding in anywhere near enough time? we had about 6 minutes purely for the penalty decision, yet just 7 minutes added on? should’ve been double figures at least. 

Or why not just stop the clock for VAR reviews instead? :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I think this world cup shows what to expect from VAR in the Premier League. Officiating is subjective. When a penalty is given because of a foul in the box, VAR is going to be used to prove whether or not there was a foul, but not whether or not that foul deserves a penalty.

The debate on the two penalties is not whether or not there was a foul. Both times Spain went in for a challenge, did not make contact with the ball, but did make contact with the player. Anywhere else on the field, that foul is given 100% of the time. The question is, does that deserve a penalty?

That's my issue with the handball rule as well. In a perfect world, there would be an alternative punishment to a penalty for these types of innocuous fouls that don't clearly deny a goal scoring opportunity, but occur in the box. Perhaps an indirect free kick? I don't know. 

All that said, Spain fouled early and often. Sometimes, recklessly so. I don't feel bad for them lol

I've always felt that the rules need to be tweaked so that penalties are only awarded in the event of the denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity, regardless of whether it is inside or outside the area. Anything else is just a free kick.

I am hoping the men's referees in the premier League will make a better fist of VAR then women have in this competition. Literally seem to be checking every goal and refs not making on field decisions. If that's the way it's going you may as well not have a ref. 

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

58 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Or why not just stop the clock for VAR reviews instead? :dunno:

It does seem to give more weight to the argument that a match should be 30 mins each half with a stop clock anytime the match is stopped / ball goes out.

10 minutes ago, Nalis said:

It does seem to give more weight to the argument that a match should be 30 mins each half with a stop clock anytime the match is stopped / ball goes out.

Am I right in thinking that Rugby Union play 40 mins each half but stop the clock for video ref decisions?

6 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Yes, play is also stopped for other longer breaks like injuries or the ref chatting to players/captains.

Makes perfect sense to me but I can't see football following suit :rolleyes: