Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

You've got to get it in your head that this isn't the same game as men's professional football. This becomes frustrating when the media (especially the BBC) are trying their hardest to sell the "big lie" for equality purposes.

It would be much more digestible if they left it on the red button as an option in the background. To even suggest this is even 0.05% as big as the proper World Cup is utterly ridiculous.

Catch 22 though isn't it. If it's stuffed away on the red button, nobody ever watches it, nobody gets inspired by it, no more young girls start getting in to football, no advertisers or money folk want to get involve, it stays a fringe sport and the standard never improves. 

Or you try and sell it to the world, people get involved, young girls grow an interest and it grows. 

I think this world cups been successful on two fronts. One, I think the BBC were right to buy it because I think a shit load of people have watched it - half my office have watched it and enjoyed it, couple members of my family have watched and enjoyed it, even my missus dad has loved it - he's seen almost every game (noperv.)

Also think it's been successful in that a lot of people have cared. Yeah, probably partly cos there's no other football on in Europe but eh. Of course they haven't cared on the same scale as the men's world cup but you said yourself it's a different sport, why even bother comparing? I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of people I've seen and heard talking about it, not just in person but all over social media. Not negatively, either, not taking the piss just watching it and getting involved. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, somebum said:

As much as the cringeable bbc tried to big up this utter garbage, it was still on standard with any Sunday league football you will ever see.

Absolutely awful. I'm wondering when criticism of it will become a 'hate crime'. 

For anybody still wondering, this is what a 'snowflake' is.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

As an aside, the outrage about Alex Morgan's tea sipping celebration is hilarious. 

If someone scored against India and started munching curry I'd be over celebrating with them even if I was on the opposing team.

• Haha 3

Worst performance allowed themselves to be bullied. 

Have enjoyed most of the games I've watched but then I get enjoyment from watching most footy even down the park.

Re the standard I've seen LCFC play much worst than most of these games.

As for the BBC and 50 years of hurt FO. Nothing to do with that.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Bless Alex Morgan and the Americans thinking anyone here is actually going to be triggered by her pretending to sip tea lol

They're a ****ing odd lot. 

Well, judging by your reaction and the media in general, they have succeeded.

Better than that goggle celebration from White, annoying that one.

14 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Well, judging by your reaction and the media in general, they have succeeded.

Better than that goggle celebration from White, annoying that one.

My reaction? I read the article this morning, raised an eyebrow and laughed. I'm not really sure that's reaction they were after tbh. 

I mentioned I know quite a few people who've been watching the WC and literally not one of them batted an eyelid. I didn't even think anything of it when I did it. 

If people weren't bothering writing about it I wouldn't have realised it was a thing. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Bless Alex Morgan and the Americans thinking anyone here is actually going to be triggered by her pretending to sip tea lol

They're a ****ing odd lot. 

Was going to post something similar.

It's basically shite banter rather than being offensive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

My reaction? I read the article this morning, raised an eyebrow and laughed. I'm not really sure that's reaction they were after tbh. 

I mentioned I know quite a few people who've been watching the WC and literally not one of them batted an eyelid. I didn't even think anything of it when I did it. 

If people weren't bothering writing about it I wouldn't have realised it was a thing. 

Media love making a story of it. Happens all the time, things end up blown out of proportion.

22 minutes ago, davieG said:

Hopefully the Dutch v Swedes will be a big improvement on last nights game.

Considering Netherlands have been average at best and Sweden are quite a defensive unit, this could be a borefest. Only saw last 30 mins yesterday but women's football doesn't get much better than that. Final will be rubbish in comparison

2 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Considering Netherlands have been average at best and Sweden are quite a defensive unit, this could be a borefest. Only saw last 30 mins yesterday but women's football doesn't get much better than that. Final will be rubbish in comparison

I thought yesterday’s game was England’s worst performance, I thought the game was quite poor compared to many that I’ve watched, sure it was incident packed but the actual football was poor.

I’ve enjoyed this one so far where the Swedes are looking the more positive team.

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

I thought yesterday’s game was England’s worst performance, I thought the game was quite poor compared to many that I’ve watched, sure it was incident packed but the actual football was poor.

I’ve enjoyed this one so far where the Swedes are looking the more positive team.

Fair enough, like I say, only saw last half hour. Quality of games has been better now the shiite teams are knocked out. There is plenty of ability in the sides and they dive and whinge less than men. But the lack of pace is what makes it hard to watch at times, and simple errors. Plus a lot of GK's are full of errors.

11 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Why did you watch it if you hate it? There are literraly hundreds of other channels, Netflix, Prime, TV on demand, YouTube, a book, a walk, tax returns or whatever tickles your fancy as an alternative and yet you chose to actively watch something that annoys you, bizarre. I don't like or care for Love Island and I've successfully avoided it for years now, occasionally I see a few tweets about it or people start speaking about it work so I keep scrolling or politely walk away and everything is fine again. I don't care for Horse Racing or Formula One but I appreciate that certain channels show those sports and consequently their coverage is more hyped than their competitors. 

There are also plenty of other news outlets and even yesterday, in the build up to a semi-final, the main headline on the BBC Sport website was about Maguire and not that. 

Nobody is banning or censoring criticism of it either and your hyperbole is ridiculous. Not every single programme on tv and radio broadcast by the BBC is aimed at you and you alone. 

Brilliant .

• Like 1