Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

England U21's

Benny would have been proud of Hamza's 'assault'.  Not malicious, just a case of recklessness.  He will learn and move on.  Thought he had a good game prior to the car-crash.  Sincerely hope the French lad is OK!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Last night could affect hamza badly but I’m confident that Rodgers will ensure it doesn’t. ....... 

Agree - he can be feeling the "Let your country down" opinion and also may be shell shocked at what has happened to his opponent.

A third factor I fear is that although in this case the card was entirely correct he will be pulled up for his powerful tackling next season ie have a reputation now, watching the clips of him before the game there's a  very fine line where he has to win the ball or will be in trouble and in those instances he does but introduce a fuss-pot ref who doesn't allow contact of any kind and he won't be allowed to play his normal game.

Lastly it could affect his chances of being fast tracked into the senior squad (give me him over Dier for the recent Nations League games). If discipline is a criteria then a lot of them need to improve, poor game management, risking losing possession in dangerous areas (though Stones did that too) and defenders going AWOL.

Still can't believe the ignorance from the media though ignoring the fact that he was trying to recover someone elses mess, the BS comment that his own sloppy passing lead to his card is nonsense "gave possession away cheaply and eventually paid the price".

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I'm told by someone at the game that he has a badly broken ankle.

Hardly surprising really.

I think he'll possibly get further punishment looking at that clip

Surprising given that they didn’t appear to secure the ankle when carrying him off .... their manager said he had gone for x rays .... a badly broken ankle wouldn’t require x rays before comment  ..... let’s hope it’s not bad 

2 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Still can't believe the ignorance from the media though ignoring the fact that he was trying to recover someone elses mess, the BS comment that his own sloppy passing lead to his card is nonsense "gave possession away cheaply and eventually paid the price".

You’re clearly not a journo ..... play to the audience, set the narrative and write stuff to fit that .....l

• Like 2

Yep, bad tackle end of. Doubt it was malicious. He made many praiseworthy snappy tackles in the odd games he played last season and when you play that sort of game the odd tackle can sometimes get slightly ill timed, he's not done it before so doesn't deserve to get hammered about it. For me he carrys on in exactly the same way, he's doing brilliantly. 

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yep, bad tackle end of. Doubt it was malicious. He made many praiseworthy snappy tackles in the odd games he played last season and when you play that sort of game the odd tackle can sometimes get slightly ill timed, he's not done it before so doesn't deserve to get hammered about it. For me he carrys on in exactly the same way, he's doing brilliantly. 

I'm a big fan and have watched him since he was a kid.

I used to flinch at every tackle he did.

He has done it on many occasions, that's his game.  Brilliant player but that aspect of his game needs a bit of nurturing. 

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Surprising given that they didn’t appear to secure the ankle when carrying him off .... their manager said he had gone for x rays .... a badly broken ankle wouldn’t require x rays before comment  ..... let’s hope it’s not bad 

Yeah its looking that way hopefully

Edited by Bob Hazels shorts

First 20 mins we looked so good and the team had way better balance when Hamza was on. It went to pot when he, rightly so got sent off. Silly challenge but was put in a dodgy situation - no excuse really though.

Madderson was ok, but would have liked to have seen more before he switched to a deeper role. 

Gray made some lovely runs, found space but as bloody always, fell at the last hurdle. Decisions is not his forte. 

The subs were errr.. strange to say the least, it will be interesting what the papers say about it.

France was always going to be a tough game but you just knew they were going to at least equalise when we went to 10 men. Sad to have conceded the 2nd goal so late though. 

1 minute ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I'm a big fan and have watched him since he was a kid.

I used to flinch at every tackle he did.

He has done it on many occasions, that's his game.  Brilliant player but that aspect of his game needs a bit of nurturing. 

Possibly,  I've in fairness unlike yourself only seen his appearances for the first team where he's largely got them right. I suppose it's a difficult task really as it's a matter of timing, judgement and very fine lines. We all love a last ditch saving tackle but by nature they have a high chance of say giving a penalty away every time. Hopefully it will get there with a combination of Rodgers and more top flight playing experience. I do appreciable what you mean though whilst still liking to see a bit of aggression in a game. 

10 hours ago, Ricey said:

Without a doubt one of the worst tactical decisions I’ve ever witnessed to choose to play with no one up front, two no.9’s out wide and a midfield three of Maddison, Mount and Foden when you are 1-0 up with 15 minutes to go and down to 10 men. Utter utter stupidity.

Aidy Boothroyd got a new contract recently as well. What chance do these young players have? They are better off skipping this level and going straight into the seniors.

Beaglehole should be his replacement.

9 hours ago, Bryn said:

****ing appalling tackle that like, deserves a long ban. Can't have that.

What a stupid over the top reaction. Hamza was coming back at speed to make up for two other players mistakes. He never should have had to tackle the guy. His speed and the attacker's move made his tackle slightly mistimed. it was a foul and a red but that's all. The guy will be playing in the final if France make it. 

7 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Disappointing after all the build up and hype around our squad and especially the hype around our lads, who didn’t turn up at all tonight. Onto the next.

On a slightly unrelated note, I saw that Benkovic and Pascanu both played 90 mins at centre back in the groups other game but didn’t manage to watch it. Finished Romania 4-1 Croatia. Anyone manage to catch the game? How did our young centre halves do? 

Typical English hype because the media have absolutely no idea about the level of competence in other countries. All four teams in our group are very good and without Hamza we could easily lose all 3 games.

Benkovic had a poor game. giving away a penalty and being part of a poor back line, he made a goal line clearance which the romanians then scored from anyway. He did look good for obtaining offsides but it wasn't his best performance. On that he's well behind Soyuncu. Pascanu had a decent game and looked comfortable at the back, better game than Benkovic. He's one of 3 or 4 excellent U23 CBs we've brought through. We are so solid at CB I don't mind cashing in on Maguire.

1 hour ago, Peckfortonfox said:

35F755BB-E47D-42F6-990E-DA341F0FF5B8.png

Ridiculous. Was one of 3 good players for us before the sending off. Was sent off because others made errors meaning he tried to hard to save his team. Gave the ball away once at the beginning of the second half which is far less than any of the other players. I'd have been impressed if I was Rodgers. Even Beckham has an England Red Card to his name.

I liked the look of Ryan Sessegnon playing wide right and cutting in at times. I know him and Gray swapped but it's the first time I've ever seen him used as an inverted winger. He's always struck me as a posh Jeff Schlupp but I do think there's a real talent in there and after a very mediocre first season in the Prem his stock and price has dropped slightly, could he be worth a look from us? £30-40m would get him and adds to the ridiculous amount of young talented English players we have.

2 hours ago, Peckfortonfox said:

35F755BB-E47D-42F6-990E-DA341F0FF5B8.png

Unsurprisingly another inaccurate summary by Sky. Hamza saved our asses and kept us ticking over throughout the game and made a mistake trying to clear up after another defensive error.

The same ratings referred to Solanke as a "nuisance" and Wan-Bissaka was up to the challenge of Bamba on numerous occasions.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I liked the look of Ryan Sessegnon playing wide right and cutting in at times. I know him and Gray swapped but it's the first time I've ever seen him used as an inverted winger. He's always struck me as a posh Jeff Schlupp but I do think there's a real talent in there and after a very mediocre first season in the Prem his stock and price has dropped slightly, could he be worth a look from us? £30-40m would get him and adds to the ridiculous amount of young talented English players we have.

After the poor first prem season and Fulham reducing their expectations it wouldn't hurt a go signing him. Looks a strong player with ability. Can play LB as well so ability to cover for Chilwell if needed. 

A good one for the future if they could sign him for ~30mill. Maybe send them a James or King as part of the deal

• Like 2