Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

England U21's

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

Well that's sort of my point. The FA has put a lot of time and resources into the youth setup with and there's obviously an increased focus on developing players with technique and intelligence. Even if they just wanted to give it to a mate of Southgate or Dan Ashworth or whoever was calling the shots at that point, I'd have thought they could have come up with someone whose style is a more natural fit.

Like I said, the picture I have of him is just a pretty limited, lower league manager, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me different - after all, it's possible that his philosophy has changed over time and he might be a good motivator and developer of players, I've no idea.

I think you have it pretty much worked out already. You're not missing anything.

And that's sad whichever way you look at it....

,,,, aside from your perception which if functioning great. You rock!

• Like 1

I thought we didn't do enough to try and wrestle control of the game after going down to 10.

i don't know what the game plan was (after Hamza's red) because if it was to park the bus for the entirety of the match then the substitutions did not make any sense at all. 1-1 I could've taken but the own goal at the end was pretty comical and very avoidable. 

I couldve imagined France turning up the heat and scoring anyway even if we had 11, I think we have a real problem in the junior and senior sides- we just can't control the tempo or possession against decent sides and it leads to us getting found out (see Croatia and Holland for the seniors and today against France for the U21). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Without a doubt one of the worst tactical decisions I’ve ever witnessed to choose to play with no one up front, two no.9’s out wide and a midfield three of Maddison, Mount and Foden when you are 1-0 up with 15 minutes to go and down to 10 men. Utter utter stupidity.

Aidy Boothroyd got a new contract recently as well. What chance do these young players have? They are better off skipping this level and going straight into the seniors.

#Beagleholein

37 minutes ago, Hammo said:

In the firing line - in this order:

1) Hamza (crazy tackle)

2) Boothroyd (nonsensical subs)

3) Wan Bissaka (ffs what was he doing??)

feel sorry for Henderson (excellent) and Foden (Maradonaesque goal)

All in all a classic England fcukup

Tomori escapes the firing line?

A shame for Hamza, up until the red he was one of our best players and looked really good. I don't think it's bad that he's an aggressive player that likes to put his foot in, but to make that sort of challenge in your own area is beyond reckless. Still sometimes that's what tournaments like this are good for, to learn the hard way at the elite level of competition among your age group. It's the sort of thing that can either make or break you, and I think with Hamza's personality that he will come back stronger, even though he's likely to have played his last game in the tournament already.

I think at the end of the day this tonight showed exactly why so many of these players are in the U21 squad and not the senior one. There are clear flashes of brilliance, but they've not quite made the jump to being a top player just yet.

I hope that for our players, this tournament will drive them on to improve their game. Sometimes disappointment can actually be beneficial... look at our own club after Deeney Day. That could easily have broken our team mentally, many of them could have handed in a transfer request and we could still be in the Championship with teams like Leeds and Blackburn. But instead the team came back like men possessed and if anything we stepped up a level after that massive heart break. If the likes of Choudhury, Gray, Maddison and Barnes can all push on another 10% we can take the league by storm. Can they do it? I hope so! :fc:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Crunching challenge. Over the ball, late, reckless. 

Yes - no intent hence the original yellow card I guess but did look worse and worse each time they showed it.

Still England should have got a point out of it but we invited France onto us and the OG was a joke - presume AWB is very one footed.

I suspect Boothroyd is told how to play as clearly with us his tactics were very much getting it up to the front men or out wide ASAP!

53 minutes ago, Bryn said:

****ing appalling tackle that like, deserves a long ban. Can't have that.

Watch the real time shot of it and you'll see it's mistimed, not particularly reckless. Was busting a gut to get back and bail someone else out. 

Obviously hope the French lad is ok because it's a nasty one but wasn't the horror tackle people made out. It's just where Hamza's foot landed.

Could you imagine if Southgate had done the same thing as Boothroyd up a goal vs France at Euros? He'd never manage again and would be sent for a psych evaluation. 

Hamza made a mistake, but the game was still there to be taken. That's were the whole 'managing' thing comes into play. Boothroyd launched a couple grenades and then jumped on top of them.

100% on him for the loss today.

• Like 1

Disappointing after all the build up and hype around our squad and especially the hype around our lads, who didn’t turn up at all tonight. Onto the next.

On a slightly unrelated note, I saw that Benkovic and Pascanu both played 90 mins at centre back in the groups other game but didn’t manage to watch it. Finished Romania 4-1 Croatia. Anyone manage to catch the game? How did our young centre halves do? 

Could be Leicester bias here but Choudhury's not the main villain in that for me. It's a reckless tackle but it was a stupid mistake to put us in that position in the first place. Wan-Bissaka was embarrassing even before that own goal. Boothroyd's subs embarrassing.

A classic England collapse. Totally predictable from about the 80th minute we'd find a way to lose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Could you imagine if Southgate had done the same thing as Boothroyd up a goal vs France at Euros? He'd never manage again and would be sent for a psych evaluation. 

Hamza made a mistake, but the game was still there to be taken. That's were the whole 'managing' thing comes into play. Boothroyd launched a couple grenades and then jumped on top of them.

100% on him for the loss today.

Southgate didn't exactly cover himself in glory with his team selection in our last match. I still have faith in him but no more old school, must pick players that are currently playing,  on form and in their best positions. No more players like Delph who haven't played since boxing day. Was Boothroyd ever known for his tactical nous? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Could be Leicester bias here but Choudhury's not the main villain in that for me. It's a reckless tackle but it was a stupid mistake to put us in that position in the first place. Wan-Bissaka was embarrassing even before that own goal. Boothroyd's subs embarrassing.

A classic England collapse. Totally predictable from about the 80th minute we'd find a way to lose.

No way that can that be defended. My first though was 'have it son!' but a few seconds later, no. Just no.. Hopprble horrible tackle.  All the best to the other kid. 

Edited by blue blood