Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

On 10/12/2021 at 06:28, hejammy said:

Harvey was playing for Harvey and not the team. Didn't help out defensively and just kept shooting from silly angles. Decision making is clearly not his strong point. Perhaps he wanted all the glory on his birthday. Although he's been like that for a while. That left hand side will always be a worry until JJ is back. 

Last season his decision-making and assists were improving all the time, and he was unselfish;  if anything he didn't shoot enough.  He's gone very much backwards on all of those this season.

Factors could include - he has not got fully up to speed from his injury, he's playing in a dysfunctional team, formations & personnel keep changing (in particular, Bertrand has been very poor support behind him and has a very different style from Thomas) etc.

Can't argue about his defensive contributions though.  He's always been non-existant in those areas - doesn't press, tackle or defend with either conviction, aggressiveness or nous.  He really ought to work hard to improve those aspects, with help and encouragement from the coaches.  (Rodgers has a huge reputation as a coach with individuals.  It begs the question why he hasn't managed to improve Barnes in those areas).

On 09/12/2021 at 20:53, steve555 said:

He's shocking, runs into trouble, can't beat a man, can' t pass, greedy, loses every 50/50 ball, doesn't track back. If anyone is daft enough to bid £55 million snap their hands off.

.. he is a very talented player, I do not see him as a forward, pretty much an ACM!!!

We need to see him centrally, he would have a better impact on the pitch, for a longer time. His very good periods last for 20 minutes in the first half, he then drifts out of the game and his colleagues do not look to find him on the pitch. 

We keep him on the pitch because of his potential, and at the moment we are wasting his talents.

• Like 1

He is a very poor mans Mahrez

He has never defended in his life and not about to, not great at crosses and tries to run through walls of players when a pass would've been less of a lost cause.

He won't change. I and no doubt others have watched him play through the academy (Chilwell was always the stand out player) and out on loan at MK Dons, Barnsley and W Brom. The latter he enjoyed most success and mostly cutting in or playing through the middle but a Championship level against poorer defenders.

He is still possibly the most equipped to run with the ball and shoot but if that doesn't work there's not much to his game. He catches sides out early doors and they basically mark him out of the game then he disappears.

To play him and the wannabe left winger / striker Bertrand was idiotic.

We have 10 defenders in our squad with wide defenders who are better wingers. We have failed miserably in trying to get a right winger so why bother. 3/5 will be the formation as who do you leave out for Barnes and Lookman?

Central is the way forward for Harvey at this club or he'll miss out. 

May get more joy elsewhere and odds are he wont be here next season. Watch this space 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He plays on the left but his left foot is useless, meaning that if he gets to the goalline he invariably has to check back thus giving the defence vital seconds to re-organise. We should try him on the right.

Having said all that, barring the odd moments, he is not as good as when he first came into the team & doesn't really justify being selected. But I suppose if we want to play wide men he's about the best of a very poor lot

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

He plays on the left but his left foot is useless, meaning that if he gets to the goalline he invariably has to check back thus giving the defence vital seconds to re-organise. We should try him on the right.

Having said all that, barring the odd moments, he is not as good as when he first came into the team & doesn't really justify being selected. But I suppose if we want to play wide men he's about the best of a very poor lot

Left foot is far from useless. Has plenty of assists and goals using his left foot.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 10:23, lcfc_forever said:

His defensive work is so poor as well, he was at fault for their winner along with Bertrand. However much we criticise Perez, he puts in a shift with his pressing. 

Ranieri dropped Mahrez because he wouldn't do the pressing side of the game enough. Barnes need to learn the same lessons. 

Ranieri dropped him for 1 game against Everton. That was also because he was off form, not because he wasn't pressing enough.

Under Ranieri in 16/17 he started all but 2 of the league games and started all but 1 of the Champions League games (Porto)

Mahrez was Ranieri's 3rd most played player during his time here, behind only Morgan and Albrighton.

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Ranieri dropped him for 1 game against Everton. That was also because he was off form, not because he wasn't pressing enough.

Under Ranieri in 16/17 he started all but 2 of the league games and started all but 1 of the Champions League games (Porto)

Mahrez was Ranieri's 3rd most played player during his time here, behind only Morgan and Albrighton.

He was on the bench in our title winning season vs Norwich and Southampton. I read somewhere it was because he wanted Mahrez to press more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

He was on the bench in our title winning season vs Norwich and Southampton. I read somewhere it was because he wanted Mahrez to press more. 

Benched against Norwich because he had been away with Algeria and not been back long - https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/614248/Claudio-Ranieri-Riyad-Mahrez-Leicester-Bench

Southampton he started the same XI that beat Norwich and then Mahrez came on at half time

15 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Benched against Norwich because he had been away with Algeria and not been back long - https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/614248/Claudio-Ranieri-Riyad-Mahrez-Leicester-Bench

Southampton he started the same XI that beat Norwich and then Mahrez came on at half time

I think it may have been saying one thing to the media, when the reality was different. Sure I'd seen this in one of the books about our title win. But might have mis-remembered what I read! 

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

The revisionism in this thread is shocking.

Barnes was one of our most lethal and best players last season and was easily on 20+ goals and assists in all competitions until his injury. Something we haven't had from a winger since Mahrez.

Basically the entire squad is off form and now we have people saying that we should actually sell him.

well I have always thought his decision making is questionable. many parts of his game need to be better. He's okay but I think we'd also be able to improve on him.

He had a good season last season, not denying that, but consistency is what separates players and this season he hasn't been good enough.

Edit- also bringing up numbers since Mahrez left is irrelevant considering our wingers have been shit since he left. It's not hard to better Ghezzel's numbers, for example. 

Edited by Fox92

The frustration with Barnes is we all see what a talent he is, and how high his ceiling is. 

To be the top class player he can be, he needs to work harder off the ball. Liverpool have been linked with him, and look at how their attacking players press and support their defenders. 

With our defensive issues, we need him to do more to press the ball than he did vs Napoli. 

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

well I have always thought his decision making is questionable. many parts of his game need to be better. He's okay but I think we'd also be able to improve on him.

He had a good season last season, not denying that, but consistency is what separates players and this season he hasn't been good enough.

Edit- also bringing up numbers since Mahrez left is irrelevant considering our wingers have been shit since he left. It's not hard to better Ghezzel's numbers, for example. 

Who exactly do you think we could reasonably get that would be an improvement on him?

It isn't irrelevant. You say our wingers have been shit but we FINALLY get one that has shown he can put up 20+ contributions, something you want from wingers, and now you want him out?

Comes back from a bad injury, yet to get back to form, but bin him off and find someone else?

• Like 4

I remember one game in our title winning season where Kasper came out of his goal just to remomstrate with Mahrez for not tracking back.Think it might have been at Upton Park.But Raneiri brought in Danny Simpson ,an out and out defender to play on that side.

57 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Who exactly do you think we could reasonably get that would be an improvement on him?

It isn't irrelevant. You say our wingers have been shit but we FINALLY get one that has shown he can put up 20+ contributions, something you want from wingers, and now you want him out?

Comes back from a bad injury, yet to get back to form, but bin him off and find someone else?

Dunno who exactly but there's probably enough players out there who will get the goals we need out wide. That said, it's the right side that's the main issue. But with that, and with Barnes not excelling, I'd change formation anyway and get two up front so Vardy isn't alone.

He's put up 20+ contributions in one season. Not been consistent this season which is why I want him out the side. It's not as if he's got 10 goals and a couple bad games so far. 2 goals in 13 games when he's one of our main attacking threats isn't good enough. Criticism is justified. 

How long do we put up with him in the side before he's "back to form"?

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Dunno who exactly but there's probably enough players out there who will get the goals we need out wide. That said, it's the right side that's the main issue. But with that, and with Barnes not excelling, I'd change formation anyway and get two up front so Vardy isn't alone.

He's put up 20+ contributions in one season. Not been consistent this season which is why I want him out the side. It's not as if he's got 10 goals and a couple bad games so far. 2 goals in 13 games when he's one of our main attacking threats isn't good enough. Criticism is justified. 

How long do we put up with him in the side before he's "back to form"?

To go 2 up top we have to either go to 5 at the back which has a 2 man midfield or a 4 at the back with a diamond midfield/2 man midfield

A 2 man midfield just doesn't work for us, and a diamond midfield offers no width and no one to help track back to helps out the wingers so it would make no difference

Scoring isn't an issue for us this season, its defending.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 10:23, lcfc_forever said:

His defensive work is so poor as well, he was at fault for their winner along with Bertrand. However much we criticise Perez, he puts in a shift with his pressing. 

Ranieri dropped Mahrez because he wouldn't do the pressing side of the game enough. Barnes need to learn the same lessons. 

I agree Barnes needs to improve defensively but at the same time if i had the choice of Barnes or Perez then i would select Barnes all day long as he provides an attacking threat. 

We play better with a second striker supporting Vardy and as proved and still blatantly obvious we could do with support in defence allowing WB's. to be WB's

Iheanacho's treatment has been shocking to the point of being vindictive. The fans gave him a bit of a hard time when not performing now its Rogers turn now he is. Similar situation to big Dan Amartey, struggles, finally makes a breakthrough then disappears

Barnes needs to be like Mahrez on a good day to have to mirror him with Lookman or Perez. He isnt.

Who makes way?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

We play better with a second striker supporting Vardy and as proved and still blatantly obvious we could do with support in defence allowing WB's. to be WB's

Iheanacho's treatment has been shocking to the point of being vindictive. The fans gave him a bit of a hard time when not performing now its Rogers turn now he is. Similar situation to big Dan Amartey, struggles, finally makes a breakthrough then disappears

Barnes needs to be like Mahrez on a good day to have to mirror him with Lookman or Perez. He isnt.

Who makes way?

Rodgers

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He is one of our problems though. Get him dropped.

for who? Lookman isn't fit and Albrighton offers virtually no threat in attack, we aren't going to play a diamond midfield or back 3 to play Nacho either

8 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Who makes way?

we don't have the wing backs to make the back 3 work, maybe Castagne but that's it, Thomas and Ricardo are both worse as wing backs then as full backs