Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. funny thing is Daka tends to lay the ball off when he is in and someone has a tap in!!!

Vardy is also good at supplying.

If you go back to Southampton when Lambert and his team were scoring all over the place and everyone played each other in.

Hoijberg came from behind Barnes to block the shot had he been in front of him the whole time I bet he squares it but in his mind he had a clear shot at goal

1 minute ago, turlo said:

Watched this back a few times and with Hoiberg's positioning and delaying moving into challenge Barnes, he was blocking the line of pass for Barnes to play the ball in front of Lookman. If Hoijberg had committed to challenging Barnes slightly earlier it would've been an easy pass for Barnes to play the ball in front of Lookman's run.

At the point Barnes needs to decide whether to pull the trigger or pass, he has every right to take that on. Still can't believe Hoijberg managed to get across  to block the shot but was excellent positioning to cut out the easy pass to Lookman until Barnes has started to pull the trigger

image.thumb.png.cf6f467e94bdd0e5a502b19169f880f7.png

image.thumb.png.48a09e45130f5ce525b87613636dcccc.png

Yeah you’d have to play it very close to him to make it a decent ball. High risk. 

• Like 2

maybe just as he's about to strike the ball he could've passed to Lookman but until that point the pass isn't on. at that point he's already into the forward swing phase of his shot (no idea what the term for that is)

image.thumb.png.cf686af3d3c6ba61cd8c8561dd750249.png

Edited by turlo

6 minutes ago, turlo said:

Watched this back a few times and with Hoiberg's positioning and delaying moving into challenge Barnes, he was blocking the line of pass for Barnes to play the ball in front of Lookman. If Hoijberg had committed to challenging Barnes slightly earlier it would've been an easy pass for Barnes to play the ball in front of Lookman's run.

At the point Barnes needs to decide whether to pull the trigger or pass, he has every right to take that on. Still can't believe Hoijberg managed to get across  to block the shot but was excellent positioning to cut out the easy pass to Lookman until Barnes has started to pull the trigger

image.thumb.png.cf6f467e94bdd0e5a502b19169f880f7.png

image.thumb.png.48a09e45130f5ce525b87613636dcccc.png

....just by looking at that, Barnes has an option to play Lookman in twice!!!

The first picture he rolls the ball pass Hojberg to the edge of the darkened area of the grass 12 yards out. The second, Lookman has clearly held his run and Hojberg is no longer aware of where he is. Barnes Just need to open his body to roll it across to Lookman.

Barnes third option is to put that ball high in the far corner of the goal. to have been closed down from there means he was too slow to get his shot off, but he had viable options.

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....just by looking at that, Barnes has an option to play Lookman in twice!!!

The first picture he rolls the ball pass Hojberg to the edge of the darkened area of the grass 12 yards out. The second, Lookman has clearly held his run and Hojberg is no longer aware of where he is. Barnes Just need to open his body to roll it across to Lookman.

Barnes third option is to put that ball high in the far corner of the goal. to have been closed down from there means he was too slow to get his shot off, but he had viable options.

Watching it back several times and between the first and second picture Hoijberg is still delaying his run slightly anticipating Barnes might pass to Lookman. What does it for Barnes is he takes a big backswing when he goes to shoot, which enabled Hoijberg to get across at the last fraction of a second to block it

9 minutes ago, turlo said:

Watching it back several times and between the first and second picture Hoijberg is still delaying his run slightly anticipating Barnes might pass to Lookman. What does it for Barnes is he takes a big backswing when he goes to shoot, which enabled Hoijberg to get across at the last fraction of a second to block it

....when Barnes is not confident he goes for pace, when he is on it, he has a deft touch!!!

That ball, if he had failed to pick up Lookman's position, should have been bent across the keeper into the top corner.

Edited by sacreblueits442

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....when Barnes is not confident he goes for pace, when he is on it, he has a deft touch!!!

That ball, if he had failed to pick up Lookman's position, should have been bent across the keeper into the top corner.

Not sure I totally agree with that. I’d say when he is confident he looks up and goes for it rather than cut back or pass back. His touch is better when he’s confident and he’s almost unplayable. He should be more confident. He is a great player and one of the best home grown players we’ve had in years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supergray22 said:

Not sure I totally agree with that. I’d say when he is confident he looks up and goes for it rather than cut back or pass back. His touch is better when he’s confident and he’s almost unplayable. He should be more confident. He is a great player and one of the best home grown players we’ve had in years. 

....a deft touch meaning he nonchalantly curls that ball into the top corner!!!

You go for pace if you ar not sure, as if you are giving it a real go. Like a penalty if you believe in yourself you send the keeper the wrong way or chip him, that all comes down to confidence, if you are not sure (see Vardy) you go for pace and probably down the middle.

He has the ability and touch to execute with a light touch or feign the shot and roll the ball across to Lookman now that the keeper has been pulled more across to his right.

He’s almost exactly the same age as I am, so I feel more affinity to him than all but a few of our players. Last season he was on course for 20+ goals before his injury, if we can get him playing at that level again he’s arguably out most dangerous player.

He’s not the most creative wide player, nor is he any good out of possession, but he has the ability to score 10-15 league goals a season and not many wide players have that in their locker.

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....a deft touch meaning he nonchalantly curls that ball into the top corner!!!

You go for pace if you ar not sure, as if you are giving it a real go. Like a penalty if you believe in yourself you send the keeper the wrong way or chip him, that all comes down to confidence, if you are not sure (see Vardy) you go for pace and probably down the middle.

He has the ability and touch to execute with a light touch or feign the shot and roll the ball across to Lookman now that the keeper has been pulled more across to his right.

Ok I think we are probably on the same wavelength here regarding touch and confidence. I know what you are saying that when he looks low on confidence and rusty, like anyone (certainly myself) things just don’t  come off or you don’t try things you normally would when you have that confidence that you will pull it off. It takes bravery to keep trying those things. When he is confident though he is so direct and influential. He doesn’t just run with his head down and will look to play others in as well. At his best it’s a wonderful sight and a potent weapon to have. 
One thing I have seen a bit more of late is he consciously makes more effort on the defensive side and doesn’t switch off so much. He is so young and still learning/growing physically and in terms of maturity. With him Justin and/ or Thomas down that left side we have some good times ahead. 

Harvey Barnes is 24 , he is not that young, he will be 30 before he knows it. If we want Luke Thomas to progress properly , he is going to need help out wide from his wide attacker. Lookman ,at least helps out ,Harvey is pretty poor at that and I don't see it changing. I think we are going to have to play him centrally as a striker if we want to get the best value from him.

• Like 1

Unfortunately when he plays and isn’t “on it” it’s like playing with a man less. Half hearted ambling back to defend just doesn’t cut it for me.  He’s Lao quite weak in keeping hold of the ball so isn’t a great outlet.  If we had more options his performance last game would result in being benched. He does nothing to get himself involved he just waits for the play to involve him. He didn’t have much to work with but he does nothing to influence that himself In my view 

10 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Barnes is the very definition of a moody footballer to me. He's either on it or just looks disinterested. When he's in the former mood he's great. But the body language tells you when he's in the latter. Which normally means he'll go AWOL in the game.

....if Youri goes, Maddison drops into the #8 position, appropriate for his England World Cup showcase and Harvey goes to #10!!!

In the #10 role he is fully involved, nowhere to hide and takes away any defensive responsibility.

He has the creativity to play the role, he is more physical and can beat a man and bring other players in.