Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

I don't think this is the first time that Barnes has lacked some serious form.

The lads got absolutely bags of quality and potential but i often get the feeling he doesn't believe in himself enough. If Barnes manages to regain his good form, and retain it, there's no doubt he will be in and around the England squad.

• Like 1

A little part of me thinks that his lack of form might also be down to crowds. Not everyone thrives with the pressure of fans. 

I think you can tell that he's afraid to lose the ball and trying too hard... similar to how he was pre-covid. His amazing form just happened to coincide with when there werent fans at the game... could be a coincidence :dunno:

18 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Are you just completely forgetting how well he was playing last season up until his injury? He was easily on for 20+ goal contributions in all competitions (had 17 at the time) and was one of the top wingers in the league.

Lad is coming off the back of a 6 month injury lay off and playing for a team that is massively devoid of confidence. Bar 1 or 2 everyone is underperforming.

He is also playing with a left back behind him who gives him absolutely no support, meaning he is very easily doubled up on by the opposition which is difficult for any winger to have to contend with.

beat me to it, he was a top player last season...

Is Barnes a striker or a midfielder? If he is a striker then tracking back and defending is not fundamental to his game but if he is classed as a midfielder and loses the ball upfield then it is absolutely vital he gets back and helps the defence. That is the first thing Albrighton does. 

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Is Barnes a striker or a midfielder? If he is a striker then tracking back and defending is not fundamental to his game but if he is classed as a midfielder and loses the ball upfield then it is absolutely vital he gets back and helps the defence. That is the first thing Albrighton does. 

he's a modern winger, his main role is to score and create goals but he still has to defend their full backs attacks

On 04/10/2021 at 20:49, Lambert09 said:

A little part of me thinks that his lack of form might also be down to crowds. Not everyone thrives with the pressure of fans. 

He did fine in all his loan spells and was just kicking on before lockdown. I mentioned a few weeks ago he needs to put weight back on, this slim version of Barnes does nothing for his style of play which was powerful runs and brushing players off him, maybe he knows the strength he had pre injury isn't there.

3 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

He did fine in all his loan spells and was just kicking on before lockdown. I mentioned a few weeks ago he needs to put weight back on, this slim version of Barnes does nothing for his style of play which was powerful runs and brushing players off him, maybe he knows the strength he had pre injury isn't there.

He was always a little deer in headlights though. The loan spells his quality simply shone through, but there is definitely an element of self doubt in him. 

On 04/10/2021 at 20:49, Lambert09 said:

I think you can tell that he's afraid to lose the ball and trying too hard... similar to how he was pre-covid. His amazing form just happened to coincide with when there werent fans at the game... could be a coincidence :dunno:

....could very well be!!!

The nature of his refuelling is a bit worrying and for someone who appears to be fragile mentally, it can't be a good thing. 

Rodgers will have to continually back him to come good, when he is on it, he is hard to contain but even though we know he is a quality player, he doesn't appear to believe that!!

• 4 weeks later...

I found Rodgers comments about Barnes today somewhat of a shift to the norm, he's usually overly complimentary about Barnes and how important he is for us. His words might be a bit of a kick up the arse to him, just to remind him of why he's been dropped. Certainly didn't do this with Maddison.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I found Rodgers comments about Barnes today somewhat of a shift to the norm, he's usually overly complimentary about Barnes and how important he is for us. His words might be a bit of a kick up the arse to him, just to remind him of why he's been dropped. Certainly didn't do this with Maddison.

What'd he say, Ric?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Maybe Maddison needed an arm around the shoulder whereas Barnes needs the kick up the arse. I remember one of the players or staff saying that he plays better when he’s angry and maybe Rodgers is trying to bring that back out of him. 

Yeah I was thinking the same!

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

What'd he say, Ric?

That players can't just be handed performances, they've got to earn the right to play. It's a whole squad game and there will be a lot of matches thst not many players will play consecutive games week in, week out. Barnes will be valuable over the course of the season or something.

Just seemed a bit of a shift from how glowingly he talks about Barnes in the past as our star man.

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah I was thinking the same!

That players can't just be handed performances, they've got to earn the right to play. It's a whole squad game and there will be a lot of matches thst not many players will play consecutive games week in, week out. Barnes will be valuable over the course of the season or something.

Just seemed a bit of a shift from how glowingly he talks about Barnes in the past as our star man.

Not to mention in obvious conflict with his own lineup decisions as the manager.

• Like 1

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2021/10/31/transfer-news-liverpool-interested-in-harvey-barnes-2/

Leicester City winger Harvey Barnes has emerged as a transfer target for Liverpool as they look to build an attacking unit for the future.

According to Fichajes, Liverpool are planning ahead for the future with Jurgen Klopp aware of the ageing nature of his team. Especially in the offensive unit, the club have appeared a bit too overreliant on their current stars, and as a result, they are now looking for additional reinforcements in the market.

Liverpool’s sporting director Michael Edwards has already identified multiple targets for Klopp to assess. But one that stands out is Harvey Barnes. The Leicester City winger is greatly favoured by Klopp due to his explosive style of play and ability to press high up the park with full intensity.

It goes hand in hand with the German’s tactical philosophy, making Barnes a potential top target for Liverpool next season. The winger had been linked with a move to Anfield in the past as well, and it is apparent that the club considers him as an ideal long-term replacement for someone like Sadio Mane or Mohamed Salah.

1 minute ago, Sly said:

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2021/10/31/transfer-news-liverpool-interested-in-harvey-barnes-2/

Leicester City winger Harvey Barnes has emerged as a transfer target for Liverpool as they look to build an attacking unit for the future.

According to Fichajes, Liverpool are planning ahead for the future with Jurgen Klopp aware of the ageing nature of his team. Especially in the offensive unit, the club have appeared a bit too overreliant on their current stars, and as a result, they are now looking for additional reinforcements in the market.

Liverpool’s sporting director Michael Edwards has already identified multiple targets for Klopp to assess. But one that stands out is Harvey Barnes. The Leicester City winger is greatly favoured by Klopp due to his explosive style of play and ability to press high up the park with full intensity.

It goes hand in hand with the German’s tactical philosophy, making Barnes a potential top target for Liverpool next season. The winger had been linked with a move to Anfield in the past as well, and it is apparent that the club considers him as an ideal long-term replacement for someone like Sadio Mane or Mohamed Salah.

£100m for the young English talent … 😍🤩

On 30/10/2021 at 00:12, pmcla26 said:

Maybe Maddison needed an arm around the shoulder whereas Barnes needs the kick up the arse. I remember one of the players or staff saying that he plays better when he’s angry and maybe Rodgers is trying to bring that back out of him. 

...I can understand that...!!!

Being angry prevents you from being self conscious as you are more worried about how others see you.

Certainly see that in his game, hesitancy in his decisions and lacking self belief. He is still leathering the ball, but he has more in his game to be cuter in and around the box.

When he takes the pace off his shots and pick out areas of the goal to target, tells you he is on his game.

2 hours ago, Sly said:

The Leicester City winger is greatly favoured by Klopp due to his explosive style of play and ability to press high up the park with full intensity.

I love Barnes, I don’t think many on here have been quite as vociferous with their support as I have tbh, but he’s not very good off the ball. He anticipated a loose touch well midweek to score but besides then he’s never really been very alert out of possession 

7 hours ago, Stadt said:

I love Barnes, I don’t think many on here have been quite as vociferous with their support as I have tbh, but he’s not very good off the ball. He anticipated a loose touch well midweek to score but besides then he’s never really been very alert out of possession 

I agree defensively he’s poor and switches off a lot. Good to seen him run at the full back again yesterday and get plenty of shots off, when he first burst into the first team he use to have so many shots, seems to have stopped shooting so hopefully the goal midweek will give him confidence and will start sticking the ball in the net. I reckon Barnes and lookman will probably both start on Thursday. I quite like lookman, decent movement off the ball when we have it just a shame we are to slow on it getting it too him! 

• Like 1