Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....if Youri goes, Maddison drops into the #8 position, appropriate for his England World Cup showcase and Harvey goes to #10!!!

In the #10 role he is fully involved, nowhere to hide and takes away any defensive responsibility.

He has the creativity to play the role, he is more physical and can beat a man and bring other players in.

I think people forget how good he was in that position for WBA.

• Like 1

Madness taking him off, even when he drifts out of games oppo always scared of him

think most agree wasn’t at best against Brighton, but his presence pushes teams back cos they’re scared of his pace, power and skill

even when he’s having a bad games he’s useful; last year he scored a lot in 75+ as oppo tired. Disagree a lot with posts above saying he goes missing, I think he’s always capable of changing a game even when he looks poor. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I like Barnes a lot, but there definitely is some truth in this and the "Harvey Barnes is 24 , he is not that young, he will be 30 before he knows it. If we want Luke Thomas to progress properly , he is going to need help out wide from his wide attacker" quote from An Sionnach.

Thought he was excellent last season, but he's been pretty poor and lazy this time out this season bar the odd game. Which is something I don't remember from him last season. 

I was just checking the closing down/pressing stats to see if this bared out and you can see, he is comfortably our worst attacking player this season when it comes to pressing and only centre-backs (and Kasper) come below him for most presses per 90 this season.

Lookman, who is his main competitor for his position, has almost double the amount of presses/closing downs per game. Albrighton and Ndidi, who are admittedly work-rate freaks and are always amongst the top pressers in the league, have more than double the number of presses per games than him.

Even Vardy who is an old man who has been instructed to stay down the middle still closes down more than Barnes at this stage of his career. When Barnes is 24 and should be full of energy.

And Vardy, Daka and Iheanacho all have more pressures in the midfield 3rd even than Barnes which shows how poor he is at tracking back (almost every other winger has at least double Barnes' pressures in the midfield 3rd too, so it's not just his position).

image.thumb.png.c25c4582b9851e42bd1d8ca0d0fadbb5.png

Great analysis! Clearly Barnes needs to improve his pressing game and help the defence more. 

I think our best formation is the diamond, with two of Ihenacho, Vardy and Daka upfront, leaving out Barnes. 

It's all there for Barnes to succeed. He's got the lot. 

What he would benefit from is some purposeful coaching, to my eye. He often makes decisions with the heart - which is great - but sometimes looks like a bit of experience is what he needs. Obviously that comes with game time but can be taught. 

I'm unsure who our attacking coach is but can't help but think he'd benefit greatly from some tutelage. 

He's a game changer, but it seems this season he has been much less involved in all the games than in previous seasons- not often touching the ball much and usually Lookman or Perez influence the general play more when played in the same position out wide. He plays more like Vardy, waiting to spring the offside trap and score a goal and assist, rather than mixing it up and playing deeper, getting involved in passing sequences. Maybe that's an incorrect impression I have though.

9 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Great analysis! Clearly Barnes needs to improve his pressing game and help the defence more. 

I think our best formation is the diamond, with two of Ihenacho, Vardy and Daka upfront, leaving out Barnes. 

You could well be right, its gives us a more solid midfield. I think, because of his goal scoring ability , Barnes should be considered mainly a striker and interchanged with the other three. It is not quite  so important to defend when upfront but he should still press when out of possession.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

I like Barnes a lot, but there definitely is some truth in this and the "Harvey Barnes is 24 , he is not that young, he will be 30 before he knows it. If we want Luke Thomas to progress properly , he is going to need help out wide from his wide attacker" quote from An Sionnach.

Thought he was excellent last season, but he's been pretty poor and lazy this time out this season bar the odd game. Which is something I don't remember from him last season. 

I was just checking the closing down/pressing stats to see if this bared out and you can see, he is comfortably our worst attacking player this season when it comes to pressing and only centre-backs (and Kasper) come below him for most presses per 90 this season.

Lookman, who is his main competitor for his position, has almost double the amount of presses/closing downs per game. Albrighton and Ndidi, who are admittedly work-rate freaks and are always amongst the top pressers in the league, have more than double the number of presses per games than him.

Even Vardy who is an old man who has been instructed to stay down the middle still closes down more than Barnes at this stage of his career. When Barnes is 24 and should be full of energy.

And Vardy, Daka and Iheanacho all have more pressures in the midfield 3rd even than Barnes which shows how poor he is at tracking back (almost every other winger has at least double Barnes' pressures in the midfield 3rd too, so it's not just his position).

image.thumb.png.c25c4582b9851e42bd1d8ca0d0fadbb5.png

Good digging that, it's definitely felt like Barnes is still nowhere near the level he was last season and although pressing and tracking back has never been his main strength, he was never anywhere near as bad as some made out previously but this season is pretty stark.

Not sure what's the issue, I know this season hasn't been a great one for some but that's mainly the defence, individually the creative midfielders and attackers are still in decent nick except for Barnes. Maybe it's the standards he's set, he's still got 10 goal contributions in 23 games and missed another 2 assists for minor deflections but it doesn't feel he's anywhere near his best.

On a side note, anyone seen his missus? Unbelievable.

• 2 weeks later...

This kid is an absolute ****ing disgrace defensively, both in terms of pressing and in shape. Honestly the amount of stick Maddison has copped compared to this lad is incredible.

I’ll never be as seething with him as I was against Napoli but he pushed it close first half. Let Lookman play on his better side and play either Perez or Albrighton, at least you know you’re getting a shift from them

• Like 3

Just now, Kopfkino said:

This kid is an absolute ****ing disgrace defensively, both in terms of pressing and in shape. Honestly the amount of stick Maddison has copped compared to this lad is incredible.

I’ll never be as seething with him as I was against Napoli but he pushed it close first half. Let Lookman play on his better side and play either Perez or Albrighton, at least you know you’re getting a shift from them

I would argue Lookman was the one who should have been hooked today for Daka rather than Barnes, he was honking 1st half defending and attacking, at least Barnes looked to be a decent outlet going forward

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Am I the only one who thought he was our best player 1st half? 

I don't know why he got the hook, he was having more of an affect on the game than Lookman.

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I would argue Lookman was the one who should have been hooked today for Daka rather than Barnes, he was honking 1st half defending and attacking, at least Barnes looked to be a decent outlet going forward

Yeah he was alright going forward but he doesn’t press, he doesn’t track, and he’s as useful to Thomas as a wet flannel in a forest fire.

Lookman could have been hooked sure but I’d rather have seen him in his natural position, don’t think his attacking output would have been less than Barnes there.

I think Barnes is the very definition of the mentality problem.

He's never gonna be the great winger some people think he will be.

I cannot recall Barnes getting the ball often today, and his influence on the game was as poor (as usual this season).

We need better options out wide, genuine quality.

Edited by Fox92

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He's never gonna be the great winger people think he will be.

I cannot recall Barnes getting the ball often today, and his influence on the game was as poor (as usual).

We need better options out wide, genuine quality.

One of the best wingers in the league last season, certainly has the capability to be a 20+ goal contributions a season player, he would’ve managed it last season easily without the injury

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I thought lookman was worse than Barnes. However knowing how forests only threat is the right side of spence and Johnson I wouldn’t of started Barnes there as defensively he’s terrible! 

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He's never been very good out of possession and is showing no signs of improving that aspect of his game. Every fullback that has to play behind him seems to struggle.

Justin and Barnes had a great partnership on the left until they both got season ending injuries within a few weeks.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Am I the only one who thought he was our best player 1st half? 

we put the ball down the left more than the right and had that madders/thomas/barnes triangle but it seemed to me that he was ineffective, with 1 decent cross of note, we just look too obvious and Harvey hasn't played for a while

• Like 1