Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

On paper that's what the result would suggest.

The thing is though is that was a 442 without Evans or Ndidi, our two best defensive players. On top of that too many players had poor games; Tielemans, Barnes, Bertrand. Lookman was OK without being special. Nacho was dropping deeper at times and was our best creative player as well as scoring. So maybe it's unfair to blame the system but more the players?

Maybe the trick is to turn Nacho into an actual number 10 rather than as a striker and ask him to go deeper for the ball? He's so unfortunate in that he's easily the second best player in our team, but the best is Vardy with 6 goals who despite our shocking start is still the Premier League's joint top scorer. But Nacho has been so good that really the coversation should be who we leave out of the team for him, not the other way around. This thread is about Barnes, and he has had many poor performances this season, whereas Nacho has been good every-time he has come on the pitch. He's started 2 games and got 2 goals and an assist! And it's not like he didn't do anything else, he was our best player today.

We went 442 against Spurs last day of last season and this season played it today. Both times we got overrun in midfield, though today we got a point at least. Tough to say...

I agree that the poor performance of individuals didn’t help, but I’d argue the formation didn’t allow them to get any foothold or rhythm in the game, totally overrun from start to finish. It was more of a 4-2-4, actually felt sorry for Tielemans and Choudhury ! It would of been the same even if Ndidi and Evans played. 

For me it’s either 1 central striker with 2 wingers or 2 strikers and a system behind to complement and balance it (3-5-2 etc). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

I agree that the poor performance of individuals didn’t help, but I’d argue the formation didn’t allow them to get any foothold or rhythm in the game, totally overrun from start to finish. It was more of a 4-2-4, actually felt sorry for Tielemans and Choudhury ! It would of been the same even if Ndidi and Evans played. 

For me it’s either 1 central striker with 2 wingers or 2 strikers and a system behind to complement and balance it (3-5-2 etc). 

I 100% understand where you’re coming from. How many top teams in world football play 442? There’s a big reason for that!

But given the lack of form of many of our players we are having to be creative and try new things. 

• Like 1

I still think his best position would be in a free role behind the striker/s. Like a 10 but has license to float into spaces anywhere and can then turn and run at them. 

he doesn’t really contribute much defensively out wide anyway so wouldn’t be a loss in that respect and could free him up to do what he does best

For a guy that looks physically quite strong he really is so soft and lacks any sort of aggression. The amount of time he gets knocked off the ball and falls on his arse is unreal. Needs to start using his physical attributes and attacking his full back at speed aswell instead of dordling and allowing the whole opposition team to get back into position 

15 hours ago, StanSP said:

Really?

He was one of our best players before his injury in Feb. One of our best outlets for goals and assists.

I've physically watched him come through the academy and at MK Dons, Barnsley and West Brom + had a bet on him every week to score, (ironically he never did then) so I've a reasonable idea.

With 10 defenders we will inevitably go with 3 with wingbacks rather than attacking R/LBs

Harvey would not get in my starting 11 if all the squad fit. why job share?

JJ, Thomas and Castagne are better 'wingers' and run by/ around defenders rather than trying to run through a wall, Bertrand not such a great defender but delivers a better ball.

Harvey would be better used tucked in more possibly floating alongside Madison and behind Vardy and Iheanacho

Edited by Bob Hazels shorts

14 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He must ran at the full back once a game and then think job done. I don't think I've ever seen a winger with so much pace not run at anybody.

Spot On, certainly this season and previously he just does not back himself. 1st time every game he gets the ball he should go at the defender and test him for pace (he's quick!!!) but he always checks.  What's to be lost?  You can have another go next time and maybe beat him then.

No left foot, defenders know he is not going round you on the outside he will always cut in (so easy to defend), and that 2nd half chance yesterday was never going in, we were right behind the line of it, always side netting.  Passes the ball towards the keeper/goal, take the skin off it then it might actually go in, he did it in the first half yesterday.

I actually think he lacks some nous/intelligence as a footballer.  Some games I see him floundering in the middle of the park and he reminds me of a a player in school playground games, he was close to the England squad at the start of this year before the injury, find it soon please Harvey!!

• Like 1

One a good day Barnes is exciting, when he gets on a run and plays his little one-twos he's a joy to watch but the problem is he doesn't really have much else. Defenders are getting wise to it, and they just block him off (legally or not), his kick and run down the wing is not really working. If you could merge him and Maddison into one player you'd have a star. 

Not as concerned about Barnes as I am about a few other players. He has streaks where he's very ordinary, yesterday he was absolute pony and one of his worst games for us for ages but it's often when he starts to be questioned that he has a purple patch. He's bloody due one. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deebhoy said:

Barnes is a hell of a talent. Problem is, like Maddison, he hasn't produced anything like the potential he has promised the last few years this season.

Agree, but he has had a pretty horrendous injury which he’s coming back from (I know this only washes for so long). 

No doubt his performance yesterday is the worse I can remember in a very long time. Couldn’t believe BR kept him on and took Lookman off, who again, thought looked very good (did ya’ll see that flick over the head on the halfway line!?).

• Like 2

From what I've seen Barnes has got over the physical part of his post injury come back. It's back to the ol mental issue again. Last season he figured it out and went on a magical run of form. He's just gotta find that edge again that groove and stay in it. He had several chances yesterday that he could have scored from with a tad better sharpness and judgement. Thats the fine margin between a good player and great player. Plenty of sports docs out there that discuss the importance of sports psychology. Now to cut Barnes some slack we aren't playing great as a collective which does not help. Confidence is contagious so is fear. Barnes needs a buddy on that left to boost his confidence going up the field. He will become that player we saw pre-injury I know he will he is very close but we gotta get the rest of the team to step up too. When JJ comes back and god willing he magically gets upto speed it will help Barnes no end! The feel good factor will return to our team once our injured players return one by one. Just wait and see...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

even with his lack of form Barnes has a goal and a couple of assists

Only Iheanacho and Vardy have more Goals+assists so far

An out of form Barnes is more effective than an out of form Maddison and Perez. If Barnes poor form continues maybe it’s worth trying Lookman on the left and Barnes on the right, just to mix things up

• Like 1

My opinion of Barnes is, he has to have the momentum of the game to flow with. When we’re playing at full pelt, he flourishes. He’s not the type of player who can turn it on and off at the flick of a switch, he really suffers when we’re playing badly. 

I was gutted at his performance, particularly his big chance after half time when he blazed wide, but we have to persevere with him. 

The talent is there, experience will improve his decision making and first touch. We must continue to encourage and fully support him; he will become a top, top player if we give him the time. 

5 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

I was gutted at his performance, particularly his big chance after half time when he blazed wide, but we have to persevere with him. 

The talent is there, experience will improve his decision making and first touch. We must continue to encourage and fully support him; he will become a top, top player if we give him the time. 

I've no idea how many appearances he has made but it must be over 100 including loans, so I've no idea how long we have to wait for him to gain experience. He is not a young kid anymore & should by now be dominating games. He does have talent but seems reluctant to get involved in games & still seems overawed by playing in the Premier. I fear he is going to be a big disappointment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1