Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Townsend

42 minutes ago, murphy said:

You're jokng?  Better signings than Thownsend, where do I start?

Torres, Mendes, Sarr, Bowen, James, Wilson... just off the top of my head.

See, now I dispute these. They are all good potential sure, but definitely better is up for debate.

13 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

No I’m not joking mate, nor am I being stupid. The list you give above all look ok on the YouTube show reels, but to be fair to Townsend, I think he’s a competitive squad option (which is what I believe we need to supplement Barnes and Albrighton) and at that asking price, looks a better option than the unknown quantities in the prem, you mention above.

I never said you were stupid, but anyway, unknown quantities are exactly what I am advocating.

The trouble with Thownsend is that he is exactly that - a known quantity.  A 28 year old who is a mid table player who's value is only going to go down and who is not going to take us forward.  It's a safe signing for a club that wants to consolidate but if we have ambitions of moving forward this is not the signing we need.

We should be going for either quality such as Mendes or Sarr, or potential such as James, Bowen or Wilson who all have high ceilings and could go on to become players we couldn't afford to buy and who's value will only rise.

Thownsend is in neither camp and it's just so underwhelming and shows a real lack of ambition.

We missed the boat on attainable players like Ziyech or Pepe last year who's values have soared and are out of our reach.  We bought a £12m squad filler and it looks like we haven't learned our lesson.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

See, now I dispute these. They are all good potential sure, but definitely better is up for debate.

I think some on that list are clearly better than Thownsend, like Sarr or Mendes, but obviously more of a gamble as untried in the Prem.

Others have potential and that is what I am putting forward, buy potential, not players at their ceiling limits.

Whether the likes of Bowen or James are better than Thownsend at this moment is debatable but the question was which would be the better signing.  I say, the former, hands down.  Young, hungry, players with potential to be much better than the likes of Thownsend and who's value is only likely to rise.

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

I never said you were stupid, but anyway, unknown quantities are exactly what I am advocating.

The trouble with Thownsend is that he is exactly that - a known quantity.  A 28 year old who is a mid table player who's value is only going to go down and who is not going to take us forward.  It's a safe signing for a club that wants to consolidate but if we have ambitions of moving forward this is not the signing we need.

We should be going for either quality such as Mendes or Sarr, or potential such as James, Bowen or Wilson who all have high ceilings and could go on to become players we couldn't afford to buy and who's value will only rise.

Thownsend is in neither camp and it's just so underwhelming and shows a real lack of ambition.

We missed the boat on attainable players like Ziyech or Pepe last year who's values have soared and are out of our reach.  We bought a £12m squad filler and it looks like we haven't learned our lesson.  

Maybe we need a better Director of football someone who knows how to source and sign quality players, rather than waste millions on players that underachieve and are totally underwhelming !

• Like 1

Just now, murphy said:

I think some on that list are clearly better than Thownsend, like Sarr or Mendes, but obviously more of a gamble as untried in the Prem.

Others have potential and that is what I am putting forward, buy potential, not players at their ceiling limits.

Whether the likes of Bowen or James are better than Thownsend at this moment is debatable but the question was which would be the better signing.  I say, the former, hands down.  Young, hungry, players with potential to be much better than the likes of Thownsend and who's value is only likely to rise.

All about opinions I guess, and as the old adage goes.......and I should know :)

I don't really have a problem with signing in-form players from the league you're in. Seems a lot of teams have forgotten about this and just go for the latest hot euro prospect.

At the end of the day for 14m we get a squad player who knows the league, is a really genuinely nice bloke (good for dressing room) and has real moments of quality throughout the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

I don't really have a problem with signing in-form players from the league you're in. Seems a lot of teams have forgotten about this and just go for the latest hot euro prospect.

At the end of the day for 14m we get a squad player who knows the league, is a really genuinely nice bloke (good for dressing room) and has real moments of quality throughout the season.

In form? What constitutes that with Townsend? His goals and assists record is shocking.

3 hours ago, murphy said:

A first eleven of young players with potential is unlikely to make top six.

You need a few older heads in there as well.

17 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

A first eleven of young players with potential is unlikely to make top six.

You need a few older heads in there as well.

Like Schmeichel, Vardy, Albrighton and Evans?

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hackneyfox said:

If we sign Townsend there would still only be four.

I don't think we'll see much of Albrighton next season.

I don't think we're too young a side. In an ideal world we'll sign Tielemans and the best winger we can get. That still leaves our starting XI with 

Vardy, Schmeichel and Evans as 30+

Maguire and Ricardo mid 20's

Tielemans is young but the experience of a player 5 years older

Chilwell, Ndidi and Maddison may be young but they all have a fair bit of experience and are all seasoned pro's.

That's nine players just there, if Harvey Barnes starts then he is still inexperienced but that's about it. 

I'd love to see us get Tielemans and go out and buy a winger who comes here and becomes one of the best players in the team. Last year we were linked with Malcolm and Leon Bailey, I'd love us to get a player in that kind of bracket. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

In form? What constitutes that with Townsend? His goals and assists record is shocking.

Is 6 goals and 5 assists a bad return for someone who is available for £14m? 

He'd settle in, no fuss whatsoever, and as last season showed (in my opinion) might well be heading into his peak

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Is 6 goals and 5 assists a bad return for someone who is available for £14m? 

He'd settle in, no fuss whatsoever, and as last season showed (in my opinion) might well be heading into his peak

It's not bad, it's not good either. We won't get him for £14m either, not a chance. If Palace were to sell him they'll want something hideous like £25m for him and that would make me want to boil my own head.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It's not bad, it's not good either. We won't get him for £14m either, not a chance. If Palace were to sell him they'll want something hideous like £25m for him and that would make me want to boil my own head.

I think they'd want someone in return... we desperately want to shift a striker... they desperately need one.

13 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I think they'd want someone in return... we desperately want to shift a striker... they desperately need one.

I think they want a decent Striker and we only have one in the squad.

37 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I don't think we're too young a side. In an ideal world we'll sign Tielemans and the best winger we can get. That still leaves our starting XI with 

Vardy, Schmeichel and Evans as 30+

Maguire and Ricardo mid 20's

Tielemans is young but the experience of a player 5 years older

Chilwell, Ndidi and Maddison may be young but they all have a fair bit of experience and are all seasoned pro's.

That's nine players just there, if Harvey Barnes starts then he is still inexperienced but that's about it. 

I'd love to see us get Tielemans and go out and buy a winger who comes here and becomes one of the best players in the team. Last year we were linked with Malcolm and Leon Bailey, I'd love us to get a player in that kind of bracket. 

Tielemans yes, but we need a striker far far more than any of the suggested wingers. If anything happens to Vardy we're absolutely done for! Even if he stays fit, it's unreasonable to expect him to play all league and cup games. If need be we have plenty of cover on the right wing without buying either another squad player or wasting 20 odd million on a risk from abroad when that money can go towards a better striker. Anyone thinking Rodgers is going to get 15 to 20 goals out of lazy boy Nacho needs to think more manager and less messiah miracle worker from Galilee. A young up and coming striker is something we need now for cover and the future. Less players, more quality, we're not collecting shiny things.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Might aswell get in Sarr isn’t his reported value £25m?

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Tielemans yes, but we need a striker far far more than any of the suggested wingers. If anything happens to Vardy we're absolutely done for! Even if he stays fit, it's unreasonable to expect him to play all league and cup games. If need be we have plenty of cover on the right wing without buying either another squad player or wasting 20 odd million on a risk from abroad when that money can go towards a better striker. Anyone thinking Rodgers is going to get 15 to 20 goals out of lazy boy Nacho needs to think more manager and less messiah miracle worker from Galilee. A young up and coming striker is something we need now for cover and the future. Less players, more quality, we're not collecting shiny things.

Iheanacho has been a huge disappointment, no question about that. 

What I will say in his favour though he has very good pedigree. He was the Golden Ball winner in the U17 World Cup and was the most prolific striker in PL history before he came here by the metric of goals per minute. 

I'm more than happy to go with BR's call on Iheanacho now he has seen him close up for two or three months. If BR thinks he's seen enough that he is worthy of being Vardy's back up then that's good enough for me the same as if he feels he needs a new signing to support Vardy then I'm fine with that to.

My main concern is the first team and I think there is only three positions on the pitch that we can improve on. Hopefully Tielemans will come in to play alongside Maddison and then the two winger spots can be improved upon. I'm more than happy to bring in one top class winger and then let Barnes, Albrighton and Gray compete for the final place in the side. 

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

Iheanacho has been a huge disappointment, no question about that. 

What I will say in his favour though he has very good pedigree. He was the Golden Ball winner in the U17 World Cup and was the most prolific striker in PL history before he came here by the metric of goals per minute. 

I'm more than happy to go with BR's call on Iheanacho now he has seen him close up for two or three months. If BR thinks he's seen enough that he is worthy of being Vardy's back up then that's good enough for me the same as if he feels he needs a new signing to support Vardy then I'm fine with that to.

My main concern is the first team and I think there is only three positions on the pitch that we can improve on. Hopefully Tielemans will come in to play alongside Maddison and then the two winger spots can be improved upon. I'm more than happy to bring in one top class winger and then let Barnes, Albrighton and Gray compete for the final place in the side. 

I have faith in Rodgers but not Iheanacho. U17 performance is largely irrelevant now its history as he hasn't trained on. He's poor in a number 10, controversially I'd say Gezzal would be far better at that. He has no pace, poor first touch, no brain to get into the right place at the right time, largely due to idleness (I've pointed out before that when we have Vardy or another running with pace down a wing, it's been a midfielder whose overtaken Nacho trying to get into the opposition box. He's even been criticised by his international coach for his unprofessional behaviour. He nothing but a burden for Rodgers and we'd be absolutely stupid to risk everything on him coming good, arguably you need three strikers anyway. A young lad like Che Adams would at least bust a gut to try and make the grade, he's hungry for it. I don't see any even speculative rumours regarding anyone interested in him even at Championship level.

Rodgers has made positive comments about him because that's what Rodgers does. He's praised so many players, ours and other clubs but never criticised any. Call it good managent if you want but he can't polish a turd and his sprinkling Nacho in glitter will only last so long. As for this lack of confidence bollocks, any decent player, even if not scoring, keeps doing the hard work until hopefully form and confidence returns, how long has he been here? Without a goalscorer if Vardy is injured we're knacked, good wingers are rare but even at their best are ephemeral icing on the cake compared to a main goalscorer. Without goalscorers, teams get relegated.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

Sorry to those who aren’t keen, but genuine interest being shown.

You know I am a fan.

I could see him working here. Has the right mentality, and (at first glance) has the work rate and direct running required.

• Like 1