Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Townsend

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

This would be very short sighted, at the end of next season we’d have a 29 year old Andros Townsend that we’d be looking to upgrade upon and not be able to recoup the price we paid.

He’d be a perfunctory signing but ideally we bring in a player that we’re gonna get years out of and worst case scenario; we sell for big money. The likes of Chukwueze and Sarr fit the bill better.

0.17 xG and xA 0.21 p90 for Ghezzal and 0.14 xG and xA 0.11 p90 for Townsend in 18/19. If I speak.

Ghezzal was a victim of Puelgate, IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Solid player and £14m wouldn't be a bad price (even though I can't see Palace selling for that).

I only think we need one winger though and I'm hoping he will be in a much higher bracket than Townsend- this signing won't kick us on a level.

We were previously linked with him and back then I thought him to be a massively underwhelming signing. But fair play to Townsend he's had a really good season and I think he's a very underrated player.

I think the biggest issue though is that he's basically on a par with Albrighton. I know Townsend scored more goals and got more assists than Marc, but he didn't have that many more to justify having both players in the squad. If we are going to go for a winger / wide forward we should either go for an expensive option that is proven, or go for a very promising player who could become the next Mahrez. With Townsend you know what you are going to get, but I'm not sure what we would get is that much better than what we already have. 

• Like 3

It's not a very exciting signing but he's solid let's be honest. I'd have much preferred him to Ghezzal. He'd probably be our best winger right now if he signed. 

I'd be livid if we spent silly money though. 

Edited by Finnegan

26 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

87DA4396-E756-4048-A733-FB54F42EE68E.jpeg

Club has longstanding interest?? What about BR and our new H of R?  Are we paying Congerton to re-hash old interest?  Am really hoping for some new more dynamic recruitment ideas- silly me.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

£14m won't get him, and if we paid £20m+ it would be very silly. Will they let him and Zaha go?

Zaha has stated he wants to go, they wont let Zaha and townsend go either, 

its one of them where he'd be good for the right price but we wont get him for the price we want to pay.

2 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

Zaha has stated he wants to go, they wont let Zaha and townsend go either, 

its one of them where he'd be good for the right price but we wont get him for the price we want to pay.

This kinda works for all parties (us and Palace) if they don’t want Zaha to go. They will try to keep Zaha, and price him out of a move. I feel he’ll throw his toys out of the pram, then under perform. Palace may sell Townsend to us, and tell Zaha “we can’t let you go as well” and hide behind this. 

We get Townsend, without too much of a struggle.

Palace have more reason to want to keep Zaha.

Zaha goes on strike. 

Palace get relegated!

Edited by FoxinNotts

19 hours ago, Stadt said:

This would be very short sighted, at the end of next season we’d have a 29 year old Andros Townsend that we’d be looking to upgrade upon and not be able to recoup the price we paid.

He’d be a perfunctory signing but ideally we bring in a player that we’re gonna get years out of and worst case scenario; we sell for big money. The likes of Chukwueze and Sarr fit the bill better.

0.17 xG and xA 0.21 p90 for Ghezzal and 0.14 xG and xA 0.11 p90 for Townsend in 18/19. If I speak.

younger signings are better usually but not because they a long term team member, but because they have sell on value.

Players in their prime are more likely to hit the field running, less likely to get unsettled by vultures, and less likely to be sold.

Young players are more likely to be poor when first arrive as they not so well developed, if they good then they more likely to get poached by other clubs.

Evans e.g. I can see staying with us until at least 33 years of age.  Vardy's age saved us and allowed us to keep the player, we probably would still have mahrez if he was a few years older.

Maguire is been linked away at only just 2 seasons of use, Maddison, will we keep him past his second season? or even first season?, tielemans will we keep him past his first 6 months? 

of course young players who are not quite making the grade we may end up keeping for a long time such as nacho and gray.

3 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

This kinda works for all parties (us and Palace) if they don’t want Zaha to go. They will try to keep Zaha, and price him out of a move. I feel he’ll throw his toys out of the pram, then under perform. Palace may sell Townsend to us, and tell Zaha “we can’t let you go as well” and hide behind this. 

We get Townsend, without too much of a struggle.

Palace have more reason to want to keep Zaha.

Zaha goes on strike. 

Palace get relegated!

Doesn’t sound like it works for both parties to me. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Would be a stop gap signing for 2 years until we find someone better& younger

I think Rogers wants the opportunity to work with Barnes and Gray but suspects they have been given starts a tad early.

Having Townsend and Albrighton to help develop and bleed them in and keep them hungry doesn’t seem the most ridiculous idea until we know that both Barnes and/or Gray can make the cut consistently as top half of the PL table wingers.

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think we have to ask ourselves, would our nearest rivals in the table, Wolves or Everton go for a player like Thownsend?  I think not and nor should we.

We've got to be aiming higher.

Fair enough. Like who....?

37 minutes ago, murphy said:

You're jokng?  Better signings than Thownsend, where do I start?

Torres, Mendes, Sarr, Bowen, James, Wilson... just off the top of my head.

No I’m not joking mate, nor am I being stupid. The list you give above all look ok on the YouTube show reels, but to be fair to Townsend, I think he’s a competitive squad option (which is what I believe we need to supplement Barnes and Albrighton) and at that asking price, looks a better option than the unknown quantities in the prem, you mention above.