Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Townsend

Seems as though Brendan is keen to add some experience if our reported targets are anything to go by. 

I'd be happy with Townsend, solid player and £14 million is nothing nowadays.

Ghezza was a joke signing, why peeps need to use him to justify signing any other winger is beyond me :P Townsend is a decent prem winger and is more a signing, if made, to produce competition for places and in case of injuries from my perspective.

2 hours ago, North Leeds Fox said:

14m would be a good price and think he is a reasonable player and an upgrade on ghezzel. I think we need another winger if we sign him but 14m for him after spending 12 for ghezzel is great business. 

It isn't though really.

Buy cheap, buy twice.  £26m gone.

Thownsend is not expensive at £14m but is he the type of player to take us forward?  I would rather we went and bought top drawer once, instead of a series of £12m-£14m players.   I think that if we got Thownsend we would be looking at upgrading again within 2-3 years.

• Like 4

I'm talking comparisons. Who can you get for 14m better than townsend? Personally I would get sarr, Mendez, chukwesze, Torres, bowen and about 10 others over townsend. But people on here are also advocating not selling a player to fund a summer transfer window so townsend and 2 players would be a good window. I never agreed with ghezzel but he is now here so we have to judge it based upon our mistakes. 

10 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

I'm talking comparisons. Who can you get for 14m better than townsend? Personally I would get sarr, Mendez, chukwesze, Torres, bowen and about 10 others over townsend. But people on here are also advocating not selling a player to fund a summer transfer window so townsend and 2 players would be a good window. I never agreed with ghezzel but he is now here so we have to judge it based upon our mistakes. 

You said that we would need another winger if we signed him (Thownsend) which seems to contradict the above.

I'm saying buy once and buy quality, not just a load of ordinary to good £14m wingers which would soon add up to the price of a top quality one.

Quality over quantity.   If we can't get significantly better than Gray and Albrighton then we should just go with what we have otherwise it's just a waste of money.

Bit ordinary.....not a player to help take us on to the next level.  The sort of player to buy if you were a club simply seeking to consolidate your league position.

I think he would be quite good here. Pace, occasional good moments, bit of trickery.

Like Gray, but a little more consistency and experience/intelligence.

Looks a lot less gormless too.

Not sure if he is anymore of a team player tho

Think he could be decent for us. People are talking about players better than him maybe at the minute the players everyone wants don’t want to come to us and are holding out for a team in Europe.

Never used to rate him - one trick, cutting in from right and blasting the ball at goal. Has added so much more to his game in last couple of seasons. As far as assists go - who the f*** did he have up front with him - oh yeah, Benteke. The question is, how would he link with Maddison and Vardy, and I believe he could be a revelation. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulW said:

Bit ordinary.....not a player to help take us on to the next level.  The sort of player to buy if you were a club simply seeking to consolidate your league position.

I don't know if I agree completely. For us to climb into the top 6, we need a much more impactful substitutes bench - particularly going forward. Ghezzal, Gray and in the most part Albrighton have had very little success this season, especially when coming off the bench. So if we were to strengthen our squad then Townsend would certainly do that. Also, he hit great form last year and looks to have finally found his rhythm - 9 goals and 6 assists from a winger is something we definitely need. 

4 minutes ago, mod hero said:

Surprised so many on here believe we will get him for 14M. He’s got 2 years left on his contract, absolutely no way we would get him for that. 

In todays market you’re looking at 25M minimum I would say.

True.

They also need a forward don’t they. If only we had a 25m asset that was surplus

to requirements... 

Andros Townsend is a decent player but this seems like a "playing it safe" kind of signing rather than an ambitious one though.

How many of our signings have been around £14 million? Seems like nearly all of them lol Ghezzal, Benkovic, Maguire, Iborra, Mendy, Ward, Ndidi... to name a few.

• Like 1