Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Townsend

11 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Andros Townsend is a decent player but this seems like a "playing it safe" kind of signing rather than an ambitious one though.

How many of our signings have been around £14 million? Seems like nearly all of them lol Ghezzal, Benkovic, Maguire, Iborra, Mendy, Ward, Ndidi... to name a few.

We've spent much more and ended up with duds, and we've spent much less and ended up with world class players, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If it's that we should spunk a load of money on a proven world class player, then I don't think we are (yet) a big enough club to attract the attention of that sort of player. Personally I think Townsend would be a good player to tide us over in the meantime.

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

We've spent much more and ended up with duds, and we've spent much less and ended up with world class players, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If it's that we should spunk a load of money on a proven world class player, then I don't think we are (yet) a big enough club to attract the attention of that sort of player. Personally I think Townsend would be a good player to tide us over in the meantime.

I'd actually prefer us to sign another young/hungry player like Dan James or Bowen for the same amount. They are already better players than Townsend and have time to improve, whereas he's already in his prime and after a one or two seasons will be in decline.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

I'd actually prefer us to sign another young/hungry player like Dan James or Bowen for the same amount. They are already better players than Townsend and have time to improve, whereas he's already in his prime and after a one or two seasons will be in decline.

Until they play in the Premier League that has yet to be proven, but I don't disagree with the strategy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

I agree,  we must sustain our quest to sign young up and coming players. Don't get me wrong, we have room to recruit experience of a certain type of player like Cambiasso but for me, as decent as Townsend is,  he fulfills neither catagory, he's neither young or sufficiently good enough to provide more than slightly above mediocrity and only subjectively better than what we already have available to us. For me, better to not spend at all and save it for a more suitable purchase than throw good money after bad. With or without the sale of Maguire I would look upon for example the recruitment of Tileman's, Bowen and Adams as a hugely successful and promising effort. 

• Like 1

Not that I think it enters the thoughts of the recruitment team for a moment (at least I pray not), the recruitment team is pretty much damned either way.

Buy Bowen and/or Adams, a calculated push for youth, if it doesn’t work out, they will be cursed for not choosing experience in this critical "push for Europe"season.

Alternatively, buy someone like Townsend, they will be lambasted for playing it safe who comes without the potential for resale.

Or they could perhaps pick from Europe, such as Ferran  (if he would come) and be blamed for not choosing wisely, as he may take time to adopt to the EPL.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we still had Mahrez then this would be an ok squad signing but we don't and we need a next level winger to improve this team if we want top 6. 

We aren’t going to get a next level winger not unless we spend a good 30-50m on the likes of Ismael Sarr, Nicolas Pepe, Brais Mendes

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we still had Mahrez then this would be an ok squad signing but we don't and we need a next level winger to improve this team if we want top 6. 

Yeah, but...when we bought Mahrez, it wasn’t the Mahrez we know today/at his best.

Either take a punt (Like Mahrez, maybe say Bowen), buy higher level seeming quality  (Sarr?) Or go to the safe middle ground (Townsend)

Serious downsides to all 3 approaches.

14 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We aren’t going to get a next level winger not unless we spend a good 30-50m on the likes of Ismael Sarr, Nicolas Pepe, Brais Mendes

Well this is where it comes down to a couple of things - 1) the media are reporting we are going to spend big this summer so a next level winger ought to be a priority. 2) if we are going to spend big only by generating funds then selling Maguire for £70m+ gets you Tielemans and Mendes or Sarr. Pepe is going for serious dough. 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yeah, but...when we bought Mahrez, it wasn’t the Mahrez we know today/at his best.

Either take a punt (Like Mahrez, maybe say Bowen), buy higher level seeming quality  (Sarr?) Or go to the safe middle ground (Townsend)

Serious downsides to all 3 approaches.

Townsend is highly unlikely to peak much higher than where he is right now, as you say the Mahrez we signed was not the Mahrez we sold but clubs that we aspire to be in the business model they use continue to buy progressive players and develop them quickly in to excellent players. Rodgers has the credentials to improve players significantly, it's his greatest strength. We are hearing reports we are going for it this summer so do so buy recruiting the best young players we can.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not that I think it enters the thoughts of the recruitment team for a moment (at least I pray not), the recruitment team is pretty much damned either way.

Buy Bowen and/or Adams, a calculated push for youth, if it doesn’t work out, they will be cursed for not choosing experience in this critical "push for Europe"season.

Alternatively, buy someone like Townsend, they will be lambasted for playing it safe who comes without the potential for resale.

Or they could perhaps pick from Europe, such as Ferran  (if he would come) and be blamed for not choosing wisely, as he may take time to adopt to the EPL.

It seems that what you are saying is that essentially every transfer is a risk, which is true, but I don't think anyone would curse the club for pursuing the brightest young prospects from the Championship, even if it doesn't work out now and then.  It's a good policy IMO, young talent with potential and likely higher resale value and higher ceilings.  It makes sense to me as a strategy.

58 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Well this is where it comes down to a couple of things - 1) the media are reporting we are going to spend big this summer so a next level winger ought to be a priority. 2) if we are going to spend big only by generating funds then selling Maguire for £70m+ gets you Tielemans and Mendes or Sarr. Pepe is going for serious dough. 

Townsend is highly unlikely to peak much higher than where he is right now, as you say the Mahrez we signed was not the Mahrez we sold but clubs that we aspire to be in the business model they use continue to buy progressive players and develop them quickly in to excellent players. Rodgers has the credentials to improve players significantly, it's his greatest strength. We are hearing reports we are going for it this summer so do so buy recruiting the best young players we can.

Sorry, wasn’t clear, I meant players like Bowen/Adams in terms of progression rather than Townsend, and...

33 minutes ago, murphy said:

It seems that what you are saying is that essentially every transfer is a risk, which is true, but I don't think anyone would curse the club for pursuing the brightest young prospects from the Championship, even if it doesn't work out now and then.  It's a good policy IMO, young talent with potential and likely higher resale value and higher ceilings.  It makes sense to me as a strategy.

..agree with the approach. 

Dont see much much harm in signing someone like Townsend though  unless we have a potentially youthful prospect lined up (say someone like a small cabbage :) )

We have a very young squad, maybe we want a bit more experience to compliment them..

• Like 2

Townsend probably isn't a bad player for £14m but it's such a demoralising signing. I look at our first team and if we signed Tielemans then we have nine players in that team that could barely me improved on. Our GK, back four, MF 3 and FW compares with their opposite numbers in the top six. Whilst we may lack quality squad cover in many of those position that 9 is more than capable of finishing in the top four next season.

The obvious place we're lacking in quality is the two wide players who don't get enough goals and assists. Albrighton is good and Barnes may even become that player this season but if you compare our attacking wide players to Liverpool or Man City we're a million miles apart. You compare our wide option to any of the top six and we're not good enough. 

Townsend only improves the options not the team. Last year we were linked with Pepe who has become a star and we dodged a bullet with the lads that went to Brighton and Southampton.  I'd love to see us go all out for Tielemans and the best wide attacking player we can get. Two great signing of Tielemans and whoever and we're a force next season. Townsend doesn't elevate us to becoming a force. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jam orton said:

All this negative talk , we might not even be in for him ! £14m for a proven premiership player is a decent price !

Proven? If he constitutes proven then I'd rather gamble on an unproven player. I could accept him as a squad player but we are DESPERATE for a right winger who starts for us week in, week out and delivers.

• Like 3

Better option than Gray and Albrighton, who must contribute about 5 goals between them all season, but we need real quality from wide. Someone who will get at least 10.

Edited by Fox92

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Proven? If he constitutes proven then I'd rather gamble on an unproven player. I could accept him as a squad player but we are DESPERATE for a right winger who starts for us week in, week out and delivers.

As I stated in my previous post assuming Tielemans signs we have nine of our first XI who would all arguably get into some of those top six teams.

Townsend would be a decent signing if your ambitions are to survive in the PL but he is below par if you have ambitions to get in the top six next season. What other top six team would he get anywhere near? He's the safe option that you know is not top six level. I'd rather gamble on getting the best wide player we can and if that fails then so be it, at least we tried to cover that gap rather than consolidate.

Townsend isn't necessarily good enough to get in our starting XI. Signing a player for good money who will be 28yo before he kicks a ball for us who isn't better than what we have is the road to ruin. Haven't we learnt our lesson about buying mid 20's mediocrity for big money. That will be £40m on Townsend, Ghezzal and Ward in a year and none of them are good enough to start. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Gerard said:

As I stated in my previous post assuming Tielemans signs we have nine of our first XI who would all arguably get into some of those top six teams.

Townsend would be a decent signing if your ambitions are to survive in the PL but he is below par if you have ambitions to get in the top six next season. What other top six team would he get anywhere near? He's the safe option that you know is not top six level. I'd rather gamble on getting the best wide player we can and if that fails then so be it, at least we tried to cover that gap rather than consolidate.

Townsend isn't necessarily good enough to get in our starting XI. Signing a player for good money who will be 28yo before he kicks a ball for us who isn't better than what we have is the road to ruin. Haven't we learnt our lesson about buying mid 20's mediocrity for big money. That will be £40m on Townsend, Ghezzal and Ward in a year and none of them are good enough to start. 

Exactly mate, spending above average prices for average players is a sure fire way of blowing the budget that could have been used wisely on real quality. This is unnecessary. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jam orton said:

All this negative talk , we might not even be in for him ! £14m for a proven premiership player is a decent price !

Decent price for the Owl but not for us:ph34r: We can do better for this money, I do not think we need another squad filler that is not going to improve us terribly.  

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I would be over the moon if we managed to sign Tielemans & Sarr. Add Sturridge, Bowen, Lallana/McGregor & Justin James/Reece James. 

I’ll be one happy boy at the end of the window.

Edited by Bluearmyfox28

55 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I would be over the moon if we managed to sign Tielemans & Sarr. Add Sturridge, Bowen, Lallana/McGregor & Justin James/Reece James. 

I’ll be one happy boy at the end of the window.

I bet your parents loved your wishlist at Christmas lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This would be very short sighted, at the end of next season we’d have a 29 year old Andros Townsend that we’d be looking to upgrade upon and not be able to recoup the price we paid.

He’d be a perfunctory signing but ideally we bring in a player that we’re gonna get years out of and worst case scenario; we sell for big money. The likes of Chukwueze and Sarr fit the bill better.

0.17 xG and xA 0.21 p90 for Ghezzal and 0.14 xG and xA 0.11 p90 for Townsend in 18/19. If I speak.

• Like 4