Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

For the future, they'll get their chance at some point but as I said in the Maguire thread yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not this season.

Those two need to develop slowly, you can't just chuck them into the first team fold, if things don't go to plan then you'll have fans saying "We should have signed another centre back".

The age both are I'd disagree, if they are not ready to play some sort of part by now then they won't ever be, they aren't going to get much better sent out on loan to another club in another league imo.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Why did we sign Benkovic AND Soyuncu? Bizarre if we do this.

Very good question,

Edited by mozartfox

3 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

If we spend more on Dunk than Tielemans  then we really have lost our marbles.

Tielemans is better, younger and plays a more attacking role (attacking players cost more).

as others have said Europe represents better value 

I’ve stated a few times before Jonathan Tah has a £25m release clause in his contract at Leverkusen. He’s a full German international & an absolute beast. For me he would be my first choice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

If we spend more on Dunk than Tielemans  then we really have lost our marbles.

Tielemans is better, younger and plays a more attacking role (attacking players cost more).

as others have said Europe represents better value 

Agreed, if Dunk signs for the money being reported he'll be the fifth most expensive defender in history, let that sink in.

For that sort of money you could get far greater value on the continent.

41 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

He isn’t. £15 million player all day long. £50 million is a joke but if that’s what they want to ask for him then fair play. Way better CB’s around anyway and for that money some top quality Europeans should be on our radar. However I just don’t think, even with Maguire gone, a CB is essential. I think we’ll splash the Maguire money, IF it happens, on a quality young winger. 

You can't demand £75m plus for Maguire and say he's a £15m player FFS. 

1 minute ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I’ve stated a few times before Jonathan Tah has a £25m release clause in his contract at Leverkusen. He’s a full German international & an absolute beast. For me he would be my first choice.

Agree entirely, would be far better value and potentially one of the best centre back's in Europe in a couple of years.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

I think Benkovic will end up our best defender. Problem is paying 45m for a CB they should be starting every game and I’d rather see “Evans - Benkovic” next season than “Evans - Dunk”

I’d rather see Evans - Soyuncu!

Just now, henrik_62 said:

Agree entirely, would be far better value and potentially one of the best centre back's in Europe in a couple of years.

I’m shocked no ones made a move for him yet. I’m not sure if it’s the players loyalty or what, but for that price with the market as it is, he’s an absolute steal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

We have clearly been infiltrated by Utd fans.Due to slightly higher age, lack of international appearance and a distinct lack of "being in vogue" - Dunk is a 30-45m player I think

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

Careful. That mentality is how Utd ended up with Bailly. There is NO guarantee with imports.

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Tah wouldn't leave Leverkusen to come to Leicester.  That's not an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Maguire is an England internationalist, had a great world cup and is attracting the likes of Man City who are the top team in the country and one of the best in Europe.

Dunk has a single England cup that he'll likely not add to, is older, not tested at anywhere near as high a level and plays for a side who barely stayed in the league last season.

For those reasons alone I don't think it's outlandish at all to suggest Maguire is 3-4 times the player and as such 3-4 times more valuable.

• Like 1

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Careful. That mentality is how Utd ended up with Bailly. There is NO guarantee with imports.

There's not and I accept that argument but that also shouldn't be an excuse to pay way over the odds for a player close to home.  Dunk also has never been tested a team that isn;t fighting relegation and is not constantly on the back foot either, that is also a risk, he'd be asked to play in quite a different way at Leicester.

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

You don’t know that. Many players dream is to play in the premier league. If one of the top 6 don’t come calling clubs like ourselves, Wolves, Everton & West Ham are the next best option. Many would of said the same when speaking about Felipe Anderson or Ruben Neves but both now play for West Ham & Wolves respectively.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

I'm not so sure it would be as black and white as that, the sell would be to use folk like Maguire as the example and say, give us a couple of good years and you can go to one of Europe's top clubs as first choice as opposed to going now and perhaps sitting on the bench.  The tielemans scenario is very similar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrik_62 said:

The age both are I'd disagree, if they are not ready to play some sort of part by now then they won't ever be, they aren't going to get much better sent out on loan to another club in another league imo.

Soyuncu is 23, Benkovic is 22, they are a few years away from their prime years yet.

I just think throwing all your hopes on a player who played six premier league games last season, or a player who has no premier league experience at all is risky.

As I said they need to develop slowly, neither are guaranteed first team football, a loan spell out somewhere would see them get game time.

Whether your looking at signing Dunk, Lascelles, Ake or Tarkowski you'd be looking at 40-50 million for any of those in this inflated market. They are experienced proven Premier League players, all of which have leadership qualities.

You sign one of those, partner them alongside Evans, introduce Benkovic and Soyuncu into the mix next season then that will see us set for the next 5+ years. By that time Evans probably won't be first choice and Benkovic or Soyuncu finally emerge as a first team player.

• Like 1

Just now, henrik_62 said:

I'm not so sure it would be as black and white as that, the sell would be to use folk like Maguire as the example and say, give us a couple of good years and you can go to one of Europe's top clubs as first choice as opposed to going now and perhaps sitting on the bench.  The tielemans scenario is very similar.

Just go an get Tah, Dias and Upacameno, make sure everyone has a Red Cafe account and some popcorn.

Put your feet up and enjoy...

• Haha 1

I know this isn't football manager but if we sell Maguire I would start the season with the CBs we already have  if by October we realise we need another defender we can address that in January. 

Otherwise what was the point in spending £33m on Benkovic and Soyuncu  last summer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Koke said:

I know this isn't football manager but if we sell Maguire I would start the season with the CBs we already have  if by October we realise we need another defender we can address that in January. 

Otherwise what was the point in spending £33m on Benkovic and Soyuncu  last summer.

Could be that Rodgers doesn't fancy Soyuncu and Benko has his injury worries. I like Dunk but there has to be better value for money out there 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, brucey said:

Obviously Benko's SPL stats are not directly comparable, but Dunk and Maguire can be compared and Dunk is statistically a massive downgrade.

Stats mean little without context. Maguire has been playing in a far superior team to Dunk.

8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Soyuncu is 23, Benkovic is 22, they are a few years away from their prime years yet.

I just think throwing all your hopes on a player who played six premier league games last season, or a player who has no premier league experience at all is risky.

As I said they need to develop slowly, neither are guaranteed first team football, a loan spell out somewhere would see them get game time.

Whether your looking at signing Dunk, Lascelles, Ake or Tarkowski you'd be looking at 40-50 million for any of those in this inflated market. They are experienced proven Premier League players, all of which have leadership qualities.

You sign one of those, partner them alongside Evans, introduce Benkovic and Soyuncu into the mix next season then that will see us set for the next 5+ years. By that time Evans probably won't be first choice and Benkovic or Soyuncu finally emerge as a first team player.

I get that but sending them out to France or Germany for another couple of years isn't going to do much good at their age for equipping them for life in the EPL.  At age 22 and 23 if your not considered good enough having already been at the club for a year to play 10-15 games then imo your never going to be good enough.  They aren't going to rock up at 25 with no EPL experience to speak of and suddenly be good enough.

I can't speak for Soyuncu but having watched lots of Benkovic he's already good enough imo.  Having seen the likes of Van Dijk, Denayer, etc, etc come before him he'd be more than comfortable in the EPL now, even your manager has said so himself countless times.  Benkovic stands a far better chance of becoming a first choice EPL centre back by playing games in the EPL now, even if thats 10 games in the league and the domestic cup matches, as opposed to being sent on loan back to Scotland or Germany or somewhere like that.

Edited by henrik_62