Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

I agree with the general consensus Dunk is over-valued at anything approaching £45m. However, without Maguire we will be short of a CH for at least a season. I wouldn't like to rely on Wes/Amartey for a whole season, and I don't think Benkvic or Soyuncu are ready to fill the role yet. Looking further ahead, we have young players like Pascunu(who looked good for the Romania U-21's), Hughes and Knight (who made his debut vs Sheff Utd when he came on as substitute- replacing Maguire!).

So if Maguire goes, I think we wil need another centre half to challenge for a top 6 place. And if we have received big money for Maguire, then it's likely any selling club will want to inflate the price of their players. Therefore, Dunk (or Tarkowski) seem likely options who i would think would be sold by their clubs. If we have a better, more successful,  team as a result the inflated fee would be largely offset through higher prize money, better gates and likely more TV revenue.

We need to forget signing Dunk and give Soyuncu and Benkovitch their chance. With Evans experience alongside either one I'd be confident they'd grow into the job quickly.

I'd spend the money on a quality winger and more Goals or another quality midfielder.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

If we loose Harry, that dents our top 6 ambitions, considerably anyway

I don’t think it would be if we kept Evans fit got him a partner of either Magregor Souyuncu or Benkovic then we have a chance of a top 6, I don’t believe Dunk is the answer Brighton see us with a few million coming in with the sale of Maguire  so exacerbate his price Hugely, reading elsewhere a lot of pundits think he’s well over priced, but then same could Be said that  Maguire is?

I think Brendan will source a decent CB from somewhere and I believe with or without Maguire we are capable of great things next season top 5,6 who knows ?

Still don’t think Brendan is done in the transfer market still thinking he’s got a couple more at least coming in and a couple more on their way out!

But hopefully Brendan will bring us great success for the coming season ahead It’s looking great for the foxes !!

Where are we going to find these super but budget CBs,that guarrantee walk in quality of the ..PL

Some posters live in in a dream world

We have Benko,Soyu,and Evans if Harry goes...then basic cover if needed..

I don't believe we are that desperate for any Players so far mentioned in this forums transfertalk...I would rather use our new Boys..

If the club decides otherwise also good..

but not a Dunk type for that money being tossed around. I also like Aki,but not in the 50mil bracket. 

Any player present or bought new,I won't

Question & they  will get my full support, without moaning before they kick a ball.

Smart Alec's are not what we need,but trust .without silly noises of being 

"Underwhelmed".  

We have spent in the last few years too much for some but not all of our players....

Exception Tielemans and a couple of others....I would question again the whole recruitment team if we fall again into the trap of overpaying well over the odds..Why ?? because we have built a solid reputation of building on youth..

We should keep true to this ideology instead of wasting huge sums...

3 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

I don’t think it would be if we kept Evans fit got him a partner of either Magregor Souyuncu or Benkovic then we have a chance of a top 6, I don’t believe Dunk is the answer Brighton see us with a few million coming in with the sale of Maguire  so exacerbate his price Hugely, reading elsewhere a lot of pundits think he’s well over priced, but then same could Be said that  Maguire is?

I think Brendan will source a decent CB from somewhere and I believe with or without Maguire we are capable of great things next season top 5,6 who knows ?

Still don’t think Brendan is done in the transfer market still thinking he’s got a couple more at least coming in and a couple more on their way out!

But hopefully Brendan will bring us great success for the coming season ahead It’s looking great for the foxes !!

Mcgregor the CM from Celtic? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Mcgregor the CM from Celtic? 

Got mixed up for some reason bought he was a CB ? but hopefully won’t see us wasting £40-55m in Dunk sounds a bit like a panic buy Definately  £20-25m at least but nowhere near the touted £45-55m being written about !

Really wondering what the sell on fee we have to pay Hull when we sell Maguire just hope it’s not above 20% take a huge dent from the selling price !!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Soyuncu has over 50 games in the Bundesliga and 24 caps internationally with Turkey. He isn't some U21 international or club youth player.

This guy was bought to step in if Maguire had departed last season. He is a very competent player and should really be given his chance to take over from Maguire IMO. 

Benkovic another very talented player, can also compete for that place, with Morgan also capable of filling in if needed. He surprised me last season how well he still competed. 

I honestly think if we were signing Soyuncu now, people would be much more confident in him. I think because he was sidelined for a season through no real fault of his own, people have started to underestimate what he was originally signed for and his ability. Give him his chance and let him partner Evans. I think he could turn out to be another great signing by Puel and really cement his place in the starting 11 with a run of games.

Not to mention they were two of the most sought after young defenders last summer, it was a coup we got one, let alone both of them for fairly reasonable fees. I know Babylon has a point about our manager and coaches see these players in training day in, day out and of another defender is wanted then we have to consider that. However, it wouldnt be the first or last time that players aren't trusted or given enough of a chance to establish themselves.

One things certain, if we get another centre half in it makes it nigh on impossible for both Soyuncu and Benkovic to prosper here. Evans it is highly unlikely will be phased out any time soon, as he is our most reliable and experienced CB. Morgan will be required at times for his experience too, Rodgers rightly so thinks he still has something to offer. He had a good season last year. If Dunk comes in for an obscene fee, I would be astonished if he wasn't picked week in, week out regardless of form. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Harry Maguire was relegated with Hull and he didn't turn out too bad.

Does not change the facts about Dunk though.Plus Harry only cost 17m.

Edited by mozartfox

Club should really start the season with Soy and/or Benk as Evan's partners (assuming Harry leaves) - There may be some growing pains but there's always the winter window if NEITHER seems up for the job. Personally, would rather have a slight downturn in performance than buying a Maguire replacement at such a princely sum. Shows no confidence in our other CBs and frankly seems like the wrong message to send to them if we want them to come good. Soyuncu started 50 games in the Bundesliga - it's not like he's never kicked a ball before. Let's see what he can do. 

Edited by knitro
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, knitro said:

Club should really start the season with Soy & Benk as Evan's partners (assuming Harry leaves) - There may be some growing pains but there's always the winter window if NEITHER seems up for the job. Personally, would rather have a slight downturn in performance than buying a Maguire replacement at such a princely sum. Shows no confidence in our other CBs are frankly seems like the wrong message to send to them if we want them to come good. Soyuncu started 50 games in the Bundesliga - it's not like he's never kicked a ball before. Let's see what he can do. 

Excellent post.

I know this is a bit conspiracy theory... but, I’ve got a feeling this ‘interest’ in 50mill Dunk is just to help our negotiations with Yanited.  If we need to spend 50mill to replace Harry then you’re gonna have to pay us at least 80. That sort of thing. Get the sale done with no intention of spending that on a CB.

That’s what I’m hoping anyway. Like others, I would like to see the lads we’ve got given a shot!

Edited by ScubaBlue
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ScubaBlue said:

I know this is a bit conspiracy theory... but, I’ve got a feeling this ‘interest’ in 50mill Dunk is just to help our negotiations with Yanited.  If we need to spend 50mill to replace Harry then you’re gonna have to pay us at least 80. That sort of thing. Get the sale done with no intention of spending that on a CB.

That’s what I’m hoping anyway. Like others, I would like to see the lads we’ve got given a shot!

I like that. Doubt it but not impossible and I like it. 

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Soyuncu has over 50 games in the Bundesliga and 24 caps internationally with Turkey. He isn't some U21 international or club youth player.

This guy was bought to step in if Maguire had departed last season. He is a very competent player and should really be given his chance to take over from Maguire IMO. 

Benkovic another very talented player, can also compete for that place, with Morgan also capable of filling in if needed. He surprised me last season how well he still competed. 

I honestly think if we were signing Soyuncu now, people would be much more confident in him. I think because he was sidelined for a season through no real fault of his own, people have started to underestimate what he was originally signed for and his ability. Give him his chance and let him partner Evans. I think he could turn out to be another great signing by Puel and really cement his place in the starting 11 with a run of games.

Soyuncu was only trusted in League games against Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff & West Ham, the latter where he was brought off towards the end of the game. In two of those games he made serious errors leading to goals. He clearly wasn't seen as completely ready by both coaching teams we've had in place and that was backed up in his performances. Caglar was error prone, hot headed and inexperienced at this level.

Not to completely write him off, he might've developed under this new coaching and mentally come to terms with the demands of this League over the summer. He has quality attributes, is good pedigree and is very young for a full International CB.

Benkovic did well on loan in Scotland but got injured for a large chunk. I think he is the classier player out of the pair but is further behind in his development than Caglar and Rodgers has seen something in him in the past. Although Scottish Premiership football is played by the standard of low end Championship and even League 1 teams most weeks. Celtic have a good record of picking out and developing top talents (Wanyama, Ki, van Dyke), it's usually when they get away from that club and spend a year in a better division which they shine - because its essentially been a top Championship team vs Championship relegation fodder for an entire season for about a decade now, which isn't especially demanding.

I think the quality is there in the pair of them but they've not been seen as ready in a professional sense. It was strange recruitment to sign the pair of them last season, certainly preemptive of Harry's departure but the timescale on that moment at the time and still now seems unclear.

Edited by Jaspa

Is Benkovic already back to full fitness?

Might as well see either him or Söyüncü going out on loan for a season, maybe a smaller PL club, one of the newly-promoted ones?

Morgan's an emergency option, anyone to pair Evans. And more to add to the homegrown contingency. Not sure any of the U-23 lads are already prepared for the step up.

Edited by MC Prussian

4 hours ago, Dave Fishwick said:

not quite sure Benkovic is the answer. Hardly stood out like a diamond in the pub league up north

He's actually strolled it in the pub league up north, absolutely cruised it and would be more than comfortable in the EPL.  We know a thing or two about good defenders when we see them given we sold the current best defender in the world to the EPL a few years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

Soyuncu was only trusted in League games against Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff & West Ham, the latter where he was brought off towards the end of the game. In two of those games he made serious errors leading to goals. He clearly wasn't seen as completely ready by both coaching teams we've had in place and that was backed up in his performances. Caglar was error prone, hot headed and inexperienced at this level.

Not to completely write him off, he might've developed under this new coaching and mentally come to terms with the demands of this League over the summer. He has quality attributes, is good pedigree and is very young for a full International CB.

Benkovic did well on loan in Scotland but got injured for a large chunk. I think he is the classier player out of the pair but is further behind in his development than Caglar and Rodgers has seen something in him in the past. Although Scottish Premiership football is played by the standard of low end Championship and even League 1 teams most weeks. Celtic have a good record of picking out and developing top talents (Wanyama, Ki, van Dyke), it's usually when they get away from that club and spend a year in a better division which they shine - because its essentially been a top Championship team vs Championship relegation fodder for an entire season for about a decade now, which isn't especially demanding.

I think the quality is there in the pair of them but they've not been seen as ready in a professional sense. It was strange recruitment to sign the pair of them last season, certainly preemptive of Harry's departure but the timescale on that moment at the time and still now seems unclear.

What serious errors? Wasn't the penalty vs Huddersfield very harsh and the goal vs Fulham he slid in and it was taken around him? The mistakes Soyuncu did make such as crazy balls across the defence in games didn't lead to goals but could have obviously. Maguire made enough as well though, actually being a good defender seems secondary in this era.

• Like 2