Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

Its not about market value anymore, thats for sure,its about how much your going to have to fork over to pry a player away from a club. Look at the deal with Harry. Tbh i dont think hes a £75m+ player,but that what hes gunna cost for us to let him go. We will end up over paying for whomever we get. In all likelihood

It bothers me if what Ashley said about him being close to Rodgers son is true.

If we do get him in that context, it feels like jobs for the boys, 28 y/o Dunk on a dodgy price, just like Congers on a dodgy CV.

• Sad 1

Dunk is a decent player imo but no more than that imo. £45m for him, even by EPL standards is bonkers imo, smells of them driving up the price as they know your about to get circa £80m for Maguire. 

A fit Benkovic is already as good a player as Dunk imo and with a year or two of EPL football under his belt will be far better.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, brucey said:

It bothers me if what Ashley said about him being close to Rodgers son is true.

If we do get him in that context, it feels like jobs for the boys, 28 y/o Dunk on a dodgy price, just like Congers on a dodgy CV.

Rodgers being the manager will hold a lot of influence within the club, but I’m not sure he has £45m worth. 

Dunk is expensive because Brighton do not want to sell him.  He’s on a long contract as he’s extended at least once per season.  You are talking about the guy that is about to Ben the captain and has posted consistently good numbers in both his PL seasons - admittedly he has

more chances to block in a team like Brighton, still doesn’t take anything away from him

£45m is madness, but £80m+ for Maguire is ridiculous also

I don’t think there is much in it between Dunk and Harry. We will need a CB to fit into the squad quickly who has EPL experience. Brighton know this and the price reflects that. Just like we have to in the Maguire deal, both clubs are having to pay for what they want which is a good thing.... no more bullying by the bigger club in both cases. 

It still beggars belief why Harry would want to go united at this point in their history. Another good season at us and a top four side surely will go in for him - but then that’s another year into his contract. 

Dunk had little resell value but that doesn’t bother me as long as he turns out a decent signing. But then didn’t WBA turn down 25m for Evans a couple of January’s back?

Dunk might just win the Ballon’dor and Harry might end up shagging Neville’s wife. 

• Like 1

I would personally rather we bought a prospect CB and trusted in the 4 1st team CBs we have, but I have yet to own or manage a premier league football team, so my opinion is worthless :thumbup:

Dunk is okay, is he that much better than what we already have though? 

I’d rather not spunk the balance of the Maguire transfer on him.

Edited by Sly

8 minutes ago, Sly said:

Dunk is okay, is he that much better than what we already have though? 

I’d rather not spunk the balance of the Maguire transfer on him.

Agree. If this is true, then I personally have serious concerns on the direction we are heading.   He is 28 years with no resale value, plus we bought two young CB's last summer, both are Internationals for their respective Countries. Then we gave Wes a contract extension.  WTF is going on in recruitment?   Why did BR state last October that Benko was ready for the EPL?    Surely this Dunk stuff is Red Top paper bollox?

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Agree. If this is true, then I personally have serious concerns on the direction we are heading.   He is 28 years with no resale value, plus we bought two young CB's last summer, both are Internationals for their respective Countries. Then we gave Wes a contract extension.  WTF is going on in recruitment?   Why did BR state last October that Benko was ready for the EPL?    Surely this Dunk stuff is Red Top paper bollox?

Panicking much?

6 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Relax. Some fabulous, tantamount to mind blowing recruitment thus far, with seemingly more to come.

CBs, I am not worried, trust the club. If we get Dunk, it will be because he is a good Harry replacement to slot straight in, but if we go with what we have, thats good too, means Brendan has seen enough to say so.

Or we get a young un, great, or a prospect, thats great too.

Basically, everythings great. 

Group Hug. :thumbup:

Edited by Dahnsouff

We won’t pay more than 25m for this fella if we go for him - there will be add ons which could make it look like a bigger deal but I would guess these would make any seemingly over inflated fee bearable given what we (and dunk) would have achieved to trigger them 

27 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Agree. If this is true, then I personally have serious concerns on the direction we are heading.   He is 28 years with no resale value, plus we bought two young CB's last summer, both are Internationals for their respective Countries. Then we gave Wes a contract extension.  WTF is going on in recruitment?   Why did BR state last October that Benko was ready for the EPL?    Surely this Dunk stuff is Red Top paper bollox?

No point holding Rodgers to stuff he said about Benkovic last year when he had no idea he was getting the Leicester job. Of course he's going to big up any loanee that he's got to make it look like good business. Managers do it all the time. His opinion of Benko at Celtic and Leicester might be slightly different.

I personally think Dunk will be a sound signing. Shame about the price, but as Man United have found out - if a club don't want to sell, it's pretty hard to buy from them at a price you seem to be acceptable. At 28, if we get four good seasons out of him then this will represent a good deal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

No point holding Rodgers to stuff he said about Benkovic last year when he had no idea he was getting the Leicester job. Of course he's going to big up any loanee that he's got to make it look like good business. Managers do it all the time. His opinion of Benko at Celtic and Leicester might be slightly different.

I personally think Dunk will be a sound signing. Shame about the price, but as Man United have found out - if a club don't want to sell, it's pretty hard to buy from them at a price you seem to be acceptable. At 28, if we get four good seasons out of him then this will represent a good deal. 

Regarding your first comment, would such a glowing report not be an open invitation for the owning Club to press the 'recall' button in January?  Plus Celtic were 'apparently' looking to keep him.  You would think he would have played his ability down.

Is there a stats guru out there who can do some comparative work on Dunk and Maguire please?

I’d be interested to know why he’s allegedly our first target as a proven Prem CB. 

• Like 1

We have plenty of cover at centre half with Evans and Morgan with experience, but give the Turk and benky a chance along side Evans, we have already spent a fortune on these two, why not run with them, 4 centre half’s is enough 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We won’t pay more than 25m for this fella if we go for him - there will be add ons which could make it look like a bigger deal but I would guess these would make any seemingly over inflated fee bearable given what we (and dunk) would have achieved to trigger them 

Why would a mid table team sell their best CB for 25m? Whether or not there's add ons involved... whatever price they would accept for him would be more than we should pay

11 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Regarding your first comment, would such a glowing report not be an open invitation for the owning Club to press the 'recall' button in January?  Plus Celtic were 'apparently' looking to keep him.  You would think he would have played his ability down.

Man management to encourage a kid plagued with injury?

• Like 1