Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

What kind of a CB is Dunk? How good is he on the ball? For £45m you'd expect him to start and then you've got Evans as our other best CB. I guess signing Dunk allows Benkovic and Soyuncu to bed in further without as much pressure on them, but surely one of them will be off before long if they're not playing regularly? Also, does a Dunk and Evans partnership change the way we play significantly?

I'm a little dubious about this, although clearly Dunk is a very good CB. Currently, if we're going to spend a good chunk of the Maguire money I'd rather we rivalled Everton for Pepe to be honest (it sounds fanciful, I know) and use Cags and Benko a bit more with Wes and a U23 player stepping up to matchday squads.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though. I have my reservations but the team always has my support :scarf:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ronnup said:

The irony of complaining about an inflated market for Dunk and accepting that Maguire is worth 80 milion

Just cos they’re daft doesn’t mean we have to be.

Is a 28 year old CB really where we’d like to set a new club record? This seems to be retrograde thinking in the recruitment dept if true, repeating mistakes from previous signings. Personally I think it’s actually the club trying to justify the Maguire price tag.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Rather get a decent player from the continent or give soyuncu a chance. 

If we aren't prepared to give either of the two defenders we bought from the continent a go, then I am happy that the Club looks at someone familiar and comfortable with the Premier League.

12 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

If we aren't prepared to give either of the two defenders we bought from the continent a go, then I am happy that the Club looks at someone familiar and comfortable with the Premier League.

Yeah true and understand where you are coming from as good to have a player adjusted to the league, just think 40m is way to much for him. As a short term fix, Cahill is no worse on a free. 

1 minute ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Yeah true and understand where you are coming from as good to have a player adjusted to the league, just think 40m is way to much for him. As a short term fix, Cahill is no worse on a free. 

I agree, but would be happier if the club tried to sign Lascelles from Newcastle.

On 04/06/2019 at 07:34, Finnegan said:

I don't care who it is, if we spend half of the Maguire money replacing Maguire then it's bad business. 

We're nowhere near a club that should spend forty million on a centre half. 

I think you got unrealistic expectations to the transfer market lottery, unless we were prepared to promote one of the backup's we have we were likely to spend a huge chunk of change on the replacement as the other club knows we have the money from the maguire sale and will up their price.

I dont think it will be as high as 45m tho but probably would be higher than 30m so still a chunk of change.

So if we say halfway between 30 and 45 so 37.5 million, we sell for 80 million, hull get 12 million, thats circa, 31 million cash + downgraded defender.  Personally dont think thats worth it.  I probably would rather give our backup a try as everyone is claiming he is a ready made ball playing defender.  But there must be a reason we are not prepared to do that.

Also I am pretty sure there is costs to be taken out of selling fees for players, tax, fees etc.

Edited by Chrysalis

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

What would Bournemouth ask for Ake?  

They sold their fifth choice defender to Villa for £26m and we’ll have £80m burning a hole in our pockets. 

This market who knows anymore. 

Sadly, probably more than the £45mil Brighton want for Dunk.

That said, I genuinely think £60mil for Ake is a better deal than £45mil for Dunk.

Dunk is a solid-ish defender in a defensive side by nature and turns 28 early this season. He's not worth £45mil to us and the Maguire sale has no bearing on that point to me.

Don't get me wrong, we are likely to be fleeced if we go to replace him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Just cos they’re daft doesn’t mean we have to be.

Is a 28 year old CB really where we’d like to set a new club record? This seems to be retrograde thinking in the recruitment dept if true, repeating mistakes from previous signings. Personally I think it’s actually the club trying to justify the Maguire price tag.

Like the Slimani signing for me. Signing a 28 yo for huge money that hasn't really performed at top level in the game and no resale value. That's why I think this is rubbish and we've probably encouraged the Dunk to Leicester for £45m as its a statement to Man Utd that they can't get Maguire below our asking price if we have to pay £45m for Dunk. 

• Like 2

We will break our transfer record, if we sign Dunk. A player no other club shows any interest in him, is Dunk right for the type of football we play, we play open football, he might have a problem if we get caught on the break. Dunk is good when his team plays just defensive football. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sm1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we piss 45M on Dunk. Recruitment is Brendan's supposed weak point and now he's got his mate Congerton a job here as well. I hope I'm wrong. 

This is precisely my fear.

• Sad 1

Maguire for 85m? great business. Dunk for 45m makes me want to throw myself through the window. We were warned about this with Congerton and if this is him setting his mark we should be VERY worried. A few more of these signings could be the destruction of everything we've been building imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Like the Slimani signing for me. Signing a 28 yo for huge money that hasn't really performed at top level in the game and no resale value. That's why I think this is rubbish and we've probably encouraged the Dunk to Leicester for £45m as its a statement to Man Utd that they can't get Maguire below our asking price if we have to pay £45m for Dunk. 

In fairness to Slimani he had been banging goals for ages so atleast he had some sort of record to demand a higher fee. Dunk has just been one of the better players of one of the worst prem teams i've seen in ages. Brighton were complete anti football last season. 

think people are doing Dunk a disservice here. Brighton's woes are not really a fault of his (and they have to be half decent to have lasted two seasons now)

he earned an England call-up last season and performed excellently. He's superb at playing out from the back, he's not just some hoof-first clogger

The fee is what it is, we are going to have to over pay for whoever it is, we are coming into negotiations, no matter which player its for, from a weak point. Rodgers has begun to earn my trust and if Dunk is the number 1 player on his list then just go and get him, no ****ing around, and lets get him in and gelling with the team quickly so any upset is minimal

• Like 1

Maguire speaks to his partner defenders and Dunk does not. As a covering defender it helps of there is verbal exchanges. Bruno is the one did the verbals for Brighton and now he has retired.

Latest word is that Dunk is accepting the challenge to be more influential in defence for Brighton which might be beyond his ken. Technically, Dunk is quite good at passing out of defence, and is about the same speed as Maguire (which I think is too slow for a top six side, or any side that plays in the opponents half and has to beware of breakaways). 

Status quo seems the best bet for all clubs in this fantasy. Dunk has got a lot of experience and no longer makes individual mistakes. He might not be such a lynchpin for Brighton. Not a Houghton acquisition and may play better under Potter. Houghton was the revelation in Dunk's career, when BHA signed Duffy as an emergency replacement (because  of an injury to Goldson) and the partnership worked. 

Waiting for a twist in the story. Overall, BHA need a new right back. 

• Thanks 1