Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

7 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Not at £45 million. Look elsewhere for a younger talent. 

One thing I will say I dont know why everyone on here is obsessed with age.

The advantage of buying 28-30 year olds, is if they come good, we can get 5 years out of them, as bigger clubs wont come in for older players, surely thats better value for money.

We will e.g. keep evans until his legs go now, he wont move again until "his last pay check" day.

Whilst buying young players if they come good, they will want out after 2 years or so.  The club may make cash profit on the players, but it will be constant turnstile of players.  Which granted foxestalk seems to love.

3 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

While it was obvious that we were defensively a lot worse with Maguire in the side I am surprised it is quite as much as that.

To be fair to him, those 821 minutes were against Burnley, Brighton, Watford, Fulham, Bournemouth and Huddersfield, four of whom were relegated or involved in a relegation battle. You'd expect us to concede less against them anyway.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dave Fishwick said:

not quite sure Benkovic is the answer. Hardly stood out like a diamond in the pub league up north

He got rave reviews up there until injured. I watched him few times and looked great

18 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

He got rave reviews up there until injured. I watched him few times and looked great

Yeah but Dunk ahs EPL experience.....…...most of it in a losing side.

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sigh - of course it can be argued. Its a sellers market. We value Maguire at 85m (He is not worth that in this market, but we say he is to us). Dunk ain`t worth 40m in this market, Brighton say he is to them)

Yes, the market is buggered good and proper, but that is where we are. As a side point, who are the better options you mention?

(This is starting to read like Red Cafe)

That isn’t an argument. I said they can price how they like but we don’t have to buy at that price. As for better options - you think Dunk is the best at that price?

3 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

That isn’t an argument. I said they can price how they like but we don’t have to buy at that price. As for better options - you think Dunk is the best at that price?

:) The argument bit related to your previous post,  it anyway, no, I think we can do better but that’s not what I meant.

Maybe I should just jack it in and have me tea.... lol

:thumbup:

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Haha 1

Benkovic is a very good player (coming from my bff - who is a Croatian and watches Zagreb most weeks) He comes from good stock, apparently with his father is involved in Football and his sister is also playing professional too. 

He has played for U21's at National level and has stepped up to the main team earlier this year if i recall. 

As @henrik_62has pointed out on numerous occasions, he was very good for Celtic and made a vast contribution to their season earlier on, prior to injury.

The only worry for me is his injury record, which isnt horrendous but he has missed a few games which could be crucial if he is the Harry replacement. Personally would like to have Soyuncu alonside Evans and see how it goes as im sure he can step up to the roll. 

28 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Benkovic is a very good player (coming from my bff - who is a Croatian and watches Zagreb most weeks) He comes from good stock, apparently with his father is involved in Football and his sister is also playing professional too. 

He has played for U21's at National level and has stepped up to the main team earlier this year if i recall. 

As @henrik_62has pointed out on numerous occasions, he was very good for Celtic and made a vast contribution to their season earlier on, prior to injury.

The only worry for me is his injury record, which isnt horrendous but he has missed a few games which could be crucial if he is the Harry replacement. Personally would like to have Soyuncu alonside Evans and see how it goes as im sure he can step up to the roll. 

Makes him sound like a bloody horse.

• Haha 1

I think between Soyuncu and Benkovic, one of them (maybe both!) will give us enough to competently play alongside Evans. Maguire didn't exactly set the world alight last season and I don't think they are that big shoes to fill to be honest. We also have Wes who surprised me last year on how well he still competed, so he is capable of covering as 4th choice too. 

I really think we should put faith in Soyuncu and Benkovic for 6 months and in January we can always look to get someone in if both look out of place. We also have Amartey as 5th choice if we are hit by injuries, not ideal but still an option if has to be. 

I would much rather this than spend £40-50m on a CB, which would spend most the Maguire money and also push Benko and Soyuncu back to the bench. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

Classic case of us wanting to rip off Man Utd for a Maguire fee whilst simultaneously complaining about Brighton wanting to rip us off on a fee for Dunk.

This is exactly what is happening. It’s a sellers market in the premiership, those who need have to pay. 

Brighton will in turn sign a CB from a top championship club who will charge an inflated price. Or a perhaps CB from europe who’s price is inflated as they know Brighton have 45m in the bank 

In the end it’s life...piss flows down as they say.

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

I think between Soyuncu and Benkovic, one of them (maybe both!) will give us enough to competently play alongside Evans. Maguire didn't exactly set the world alight last season and I don't think they are that big shoes to fill to be honest. We also have Wes who surprised me last year on how well he still competed, so he is capable of covering as 4th choice too. 

I really think we should put faith in Soyuncu and Benkovic for 6 months and in January we can always look to get someone in if both look out of place. We also have Amartey as 5th choice if we are hit by injuries, not ideal but still an option if has to be. 

I would much rather this than spend £40-50m on a CB, which would spend most the Maguire money and also push Benko and Soyuncu back to the bench. 

Agree with all of the above, just go get a top class winger with the money. Use the players we have until January and see where we are. 

Its a mistake to go spend 40-50 on Dunk there has to be better options at that price.

• Like 4

Dunk looks good because Brighton played with 9 players behind the ball, much easier to head the ball away with a packed defence, while we are playing open football , where Dunk might find it hard if the opposition hits us on the break. 

Edited by Crispin LA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Never played played in the Prem.  Too risky if we’re pushing for top 6.

Not being snarky but it’d be interesting to see where Southampton finished in VVD’s first season in England. He wasn’t too shabby from the off.