Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nickbluefox

Dunk??!!

11 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Maguire is an England internationalist, had a great world cup and is attracting the likes of Man City who are the top team in the country and one of the best in Europe.

Dunk has a single England cup that he'll likely not add to, is older, not tested at anywhere near as high a level and plays for a side who barely stayed in the league last season.

For those reasons alone I don't think it's outlandish at all to suggest Maguire is 3-4 times the player and as such 3-4 times more valuable.

What great teams did we play in the World Cup? The hype around him is ludicrous and unwarranted based on who he’s performed against. 

£15m gets you nothing at all when buying from premier league teams. In fact you probably couldn’t buy much for that from the championship now.

Maguire isn’t 3/4 times the player either. 

• Like 2

Just now, Babylon said:

What great teams did we play in the World Cup? The hype around him is ludicrous and unwarranted based on who he’s performed against. 

£15m gets you nothing at all when buying from premier league teams. In fact you probably couldn’t buy much for that from the championship now.

Maguire isn’t 3/4 times the player either. 

Guess it's down to opinion but from what I've saw Maguire is a far better player than Dunk, the fact one is an England regular and attracting the likes of Man City, Man Utd etc and one isn't definitely suggests that also.  I don't see clubs battering the door down to get Dunk, in fact I've not heard anyone linked with him other than Leicester.

Easy to say that but however you get to a World Cup semi-final is not to be sniffed at, if anything it enhances Maguire's reputation further as that run was built on a strong defence and he was a threat in both boxes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I get that but sending them out to France or Germany for another couple of years isn't going to do much good at their age for equipping them for life in the EPL.  At age 22 and 23 if your not considered good enough having already been at the club for a year to play 10-15 games then imo your never going to be good enough.  They aren't going to rock up at 25 with no EPL experience to speak of and suddenly be good enough.

I can't speak for Soyuncu but having watched lots of Benkovic he's already good enough imo.  Having seen the likes of Van Dijk, Denayer, etc, etc come before him he'd be more than comfortable in the EPL now, even your manager has said so himself countless times.  Benkovic stands a far better chance of becoming a first choice EPL centre back by playing games in the EPL now, even if thats 10 games in the league and in the cups, as opposed to being sent on loan back to Scotland or Germany or somewhere like that.

Having thought it through, I honestly think I’m for having an replacement brought in. One of Lascelles, Ake or Tah who all have age on there side & potential sell on value. 

However I wouldn't loan out either Soyuncu or Benko. Even though imo Morgan had his best season for us last year I would have him as our 5th choice, with Benko & Soyuncu starting all our cup games together as a pair blood through that partnership & blood them into the team next season.

• Like 1

Just now, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Having thought it through, I honestly think I’m for having an replacement brought in. One of Lascelles, Ake or Tah who all have age on there side & potential sell on value. 

However I wouldn't loan out either Soyuncu or Benko. Even though imo Morgan had his best season for us last year I would have him as our 5th choice, with Benko & Soyuncu starting all our cup games together as a pair blood through that partnership & blood them into the team next season.

If you can get a replacement that is obviously an upgrade on Benkovic and Soyuncu, someone like Tah or Ake then by all means I agree with you.  My point was more around I don't feel Dunk is an obvious upgrade on what you already have and when you add in the very large fee it's not a wise move.  Someone like Ake for example if you could get him for around the same price would be a far better proposition.

Agree entirely on the latter around drip feeding them into the side this season if need be, that's really what will have to happen imo if they are to make it, more loans and they'll just be consigned to the wilderness.

• Like 1

I think we’ve just got to look ourselves in the mirror and accept the fact that we’re a massive part of the problem with the transfer market in this country if we pay anywhere near £50 million or Lewis Dunk. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we have to go and get a 5th centre back why the need to buy domestically for a player who is going to be hugely overpriced like Dunk or Tarkowski? I just find it really short sighted and a little bit alarming. We seemingly did our forward planning by getting in Benkovic and Soyuncu last summer and I know neither are an upgrade on Maguire or even a like for like switch but they may well be quite quickly if they are given a chance. Dunk is nearly 28 and we will have to pay more than we paid for Tielemans to get him, a player we spent months negotiating to get for lower and who has only just turned 22, is not far off first choice for Belgium right now and one of the most gifted young players in Europe. It makes me feel sick, decisions like this really make me question how clued up we are as a club, just steer clear of domestic transfers if we are going to be held to ransom like we are doing for Maguire. We don't have to follow suit, we have an opportunity to get obscene money and utilize it in areas of the squad that need strengthening like out wide. We could go and spend £50-60m on one of the very best young wingers who are looking for a move to the PL and an increase in wages and exposure.

Imo Newcastle would sell Lascelles for £30m if we are looking at proven premiership quality he’s the best value for money.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we have to go and get a 5th centre back why the need to buy domestically for a player who is going to be hugely overpriced like Dunk or Tarkowski? I just find it really short sighted and a little bit alarming. We seemingly did our forward planning by getting in Benkovic and Soyuncu last summer and I know neither are an upgrade on Maguire or even a like for like switch but they may well be quite quickly if they are given a chance. Dunk is nearly 28 and we will have to pay more than we paid for Tielemans to get him, a player we spent months negotiating to get for lower and who has only just turned 22, is not far off first choice for Belgium right now and one of the most gifted young players in Europe. It makes me feel sick, decisions like this really make me question how clued up we are as a club, just steer clear of domestic transfers if we are going to be held to ransom like we are doing for Maguire. We don't have to follow suit, we have an opportunity to get obscene money and utilize it in areas of the squad that need strengthening like out wide. We could go and spend £50-60m on one of the very best young wingers who are looking for a move to the PL and an increase in wages and exposure.

Nail on head.

44 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You can't demand £75m plus for Maguire and say he's a £15m player FFS. 

Why not?  That’s my opinion. I don’t set either players value. Our club asks what they see fit for Maguire as Brighton do for Dunk. I gave my opinion on Dunk’s value. I didn’t give one on Maguire. 

I take it then that you think Dunk is worth more?

I never really noticed Dunk, and now papers are saying we going to £45m for him, this is big money, the kind of money the top 6 clubs pay for young new foreign players. 

My concern is we are paying for to much for a player who turns 28 in a couple of months and who looks good in packed defences but might struggle with our counterattacking style when we get caught out on the break. 

Edited by Crispin LA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

I never really noticed Dunk, and now papers are saying we going to £45m for him, this is big money, the kind of money the top 6 clubs buy for young new foreign players. 

My concern is we are paying for to much for a player who turns 28 in a couple of months and who looks good in packed defences but might struggle with our counterattacking style when we get caught out on the break. 

He’s a genuine carthorse. Carthorse’s are good for something but you wouldn’t enter one in the Grand National. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree with this, but don't underestimate the possibility of breaking into that Top 6!

One thing we will never truly know is whether we choose to bring in a domestically proven CB to replace Maguire or not, if we fork out 40-50m on a CB with Prem experience it could be the difference of 6th to 7th place. 

As mentioned several times over, this is the year to break the top 6 with at least 3 teams walking wounded. If the club see this as the opportunity and it gambles on a CB then I think the club has to gamble and go for it.

They will know enough about Benko and Soyuncu, very possible they've not shown the promise that's needed to make the step up.

• Like 2

Ignoring the price tag, the signing of Dunk would be the first signing we've done for a while that really doesn't inspire me. Include the price tag, and it just becomes ludicrous. 

If Maguire goes then I'd rather we banked the cash and invested later down the line when a signing becomes available at a more reasonable cost that will actually improve the squad. Spending £45m on Dunk screams of a panic buy imo, and I don't think we should be in that position with Benko and Soyuncu waiting in the wings.

• Like 3

Prove you're a FoxesTalk veteran by quoting the players next age rather than his current age! 

"Vardy needs support, he's 33 this season" 

"I'd be careful with Dunk, he's 28 this year" 

I mean I'm all for debate but it's ridiculous lol

For what it's worth, I'd say Vardy has got years left in his legs, he was only 30 at the beginning of last year 

I KNOW IT'S THE DUNK THREAD 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The lad is nearly 28, in what world is he worth £45m? If we pay that for him, I honestly want us to pack in it. That's astonishing.

In a world where a club and manager think we need a CB with EPL experience. 

34 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Why not?  That’s my opinion. I don’t set either players value. Our club asks what they see fit for Maguire as Brighton do for Dunk. I gave my opinion on Dunk’s value. I didn’t give one on Maguire. 

I take it then that you think Dunk is worth more?

Because it's deranged and totally ignores the market we're dealing in.

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

I will be disgusted if we spend anywhere near the £40-45million on Dunk!

Simply cannot be true. 

TalkShite:ph34r: are claiming Brighton want UKP 50M.  So we sell off Harry and pay Hull their dues and end up with what exactly?   This would undo the brilliant job the Club has done thus far in this window.

I too hope this is not true.

• Like 3

I'm starting to think the Dunk link and £45M might be a ploy from our end to push up the Maguire price. If Harry's replacement is going to cost £45M, it strengthens our case to demand £80M+.

We know any replacement is going to be at an inflated price because Maguire's price will be inflated. If we had any sense we would have signed his replacement last summer in a more sensible market and spent a year bedding him in...:fc:

50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agree with the bit in bold - plenty of cheaper continental options, with significant resale values.

Do not accept that the Tielemans fee is relevant, purely because, whether it was intentional or not, having him on loan secured this signing as much as the fee.

And we cannot (And definitely must not)  in good conscious believe that Harry is worth 80+m but refuse to accept that another club who do not wish to sell their player is only worth a fee of our choosing.

If we do believe this then we ARE already at Man Utd's level (of delusion), and we should stop right there....

:nono: