Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

20 hours ago, Stadt said:

They’re not going to throw Tomori, Mount, James, Gilmour, RLC, CHO and Abraham on the scrap heap because they’ve signed a couple of players. Abraham might play fewer games because of the Werner signing but they’re still going to play more academy grads than probably 90% of English teams. 

You're ignoring the fact that Chelsea have WAY more players on their books than Leicester. For every one that has "made" it they have many many more than us who have not. 

20 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Might have not been such a great loss there. Went back to Romanian champions Cluj. Played four games. Finds himself on loan at the bottom team of the Romanian top flight (until they released somehow magically went on a running run *hint* *nothing to see here* *hint*)

That's surprising news. Pascanu played well for us at a time when we had a lot of good CBs, he also played well in the U21 euros. He seemed a good player who should have made it in championship or even lower prem football.

1 minute ago, FIF said:

You're ignoring the fact that Chelsea have WAY more players on their books than Leicester. For every one that has "made" it they have many many more than us who have not. 

Think this is a really good point, Chelsea have huge numbers on their books so is understandable they'd have more success stories than us. But this is where we need to be smarter with how we do youth recruitment and stop hoarding players in the u23s who clearly won't make it at our level

On 03/07/2020 at 14:09, Cardiff_Fox said:

Helps when it's an incestious jerk circle of agent fees mind 

Not sure if this is a dig at agents and Wolves (Mendes), or about Leicester's over-spending. But you spent nearly twice as much on agent fees as us this season. 

Really don’t get the hughes one at 23. Are we really skint and he’s gunna be in the squad as 5th choice? Benkovic as 3rd, Wes 4th? 

looks like shade has signed an extra 2 year deal

Edited by Lesta2014

We cannot be skint if we are offering Wes a 1 year contract extension.  His weekly salary is most probably higher than most of the under 23 squad combined.   

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Do we think any of the three have a future? Hughes was fondly looked at, but what about Shade?

I like what I've seen of Shade. 

2 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Really don’t get the hughes one at 23. Are we really skint and he’s gunna be in the squad as 5th choice? Benkovic as 3rd, Wes 4th? 

looks like shade has signed an extra 2 year deal

Hughes is a good player and ONLY 23. Vardy was working in a factory at 24.

55 minutes ago, FIF said:

I like what I've seen of Shade. 

Hughes is a good player and ONLY 23. Vardy was working in a factory at 24.

Was thinking more he’s overage for 23s than worrying about his ability at 23! My bad 

10 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Was thinking more he’s overage for 23s than worrying about his ability at 23! My bad 

Every player doesn't need to be u23.

18 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Do we think any of the three have a future? Hughes was fondly looked at, but what about Shade?

Not sure about Hughes?   Decent player with a great attitude but dont think his style or ability will be suited to a club with Top4 PL aspirations....should be good enough for Lg1 or maybe even championship level at some point.

Cant imagine we wont be signing better CBs over the coming season who are already finished article so not sure where he will fit in to the senior set-up (& Josh Knight might be back next season?)

I think Shade has great potential if managed well. Quick, strong, good feet and skillful with a good work ethic. Great bit of scouting from whoever picked him up as got him cheaply from non-league football (possibly Free?). Bit interesting to see how quickly and how well he progresses under BR.... if its left to Beaglehole, it would be a waste of talent just like Ndukwu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Not sure about Hughes?   Decent player with a great attitude but dont think his style or ability will be suited to a club with Top4 PL aspirations....should be good enough for Lg1 or maybe even championship level at some point.

Cant imagine we wont be signing better CBs over the coming season who are already finished article so not sure where he will fit in to the senior set-up (& Josh Knight might be back next season?)

I think Shade has great potential if managed well. Quick, strong, good feet and skillful with a good work ethic. Great bit of scouting from whoever picked him up as got him cheaply from non-league football (possibly Free?). Bit interesting to see how quickly and how well he progresses under BR.... if its left to Beaglehole, it would be a waste of talent just like Ndukwu.

Thought Ndukwu was next best thing? Then couldn’t get a game at an awful Southend side? I don’t get it? He’s got another year left here hasn’t he? Needs a positive loan this coming season and a run of games.

13 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Thought Ndukwu was next best thing? Then couldn’t get a game at an awful Southend side? I don’t get it? He’s got another year left here hasn’t he? Needs a positive loan this coming season and a run of games.

...he needs a lot more than that!!!

Next season will prove to be a watershed moment for him. I really think he is in his head and unable to unlock the player.

Watched him in the Under 23s and he has been poor, the only times when I have seen him look like a player was surprisingly on two occasions when he shot from near the halfway line. Although he failed to score, it was as if he realised he had the permission to express himself and he reveled in the game.He does not carry any confidence into games and upon release from the club he will have to decide if football is what he wants to do as looking at him on the pitch you would never believe it is his passion.

20 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

He's a wide forward/striker, right? I wonder if Brendan will try him out in the first team before the end of the season...suppose it depends if we have anything to play for (which we probably will).

42 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

He's a wide forward/striker, right? I wonder if Brendan will try him out in the first team before the end of the season...suppose it depends if we have anything to play for (which we probably will).

Highly doubt it, in terms of contributions to the U23's this season he is behind Hirst and Eppiah. Shade really needs a loan move next season, we plucked him from non-league and there's definitely a real talent there but needs the next step.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Which ones?

Probably a slight over exaggeration from me given the only name I can think of is George Thomas currently. Could argue Kaputska too. We just have a habit of stocking average talent and blocking progression of those with talent. 

Guest An Sionnach
8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Highly doubt it, in terms of contributions to the U23's this season he is behind Hirst and Eppiah. Shade really needs a loan move next season, we plucked him from non-league and there's definitely a real talent there but needs the next step.

Hirst and Eppiah's agents are going to be looking outwards very soon . They are in their twenties now and being pros. they will want more money. Personally I would pick either of them above Demairi Gray and he is probably on north of £50,000 a week.