Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

14 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Probably a stupid question that's been asked / answered elsewhere but could we use KDH in our squad for the remaining games of the season given the circumstances?

Why would we? We are stacked with midfield players who won't be getting playing time, if we can add players then other positions should take priority.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

Why would we? We are stacked with midfield players who won't be getting playing time, if we can add players then other positions should take priority.

In case of injury, perhaps - beats him doing nothing for months on end. It was a question born out of curiosity, calm down.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

In case of injury, perhaps - beats him doing nothing for months on end. It was a question born out of curiosity, calm down.

I'm not excited. You don't need to get defensive.

Just seems strange we'd put him in a squad that is midfield heavy. 

2 hours ago, FIF said:

I'm not excited. You don't need to get defensive.

Just seems strange we'd put him in a squad that is midfield heavy. 

Because Mendy is out of contract at the end of the season, James is more then likely going to be fit for any considerable amount of time.

So we are left with Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi, Praet and Choudhury, so finding out if KDH can cut it at PL level at some point is a good idea. 

We have got the money of the big clubs, so every Barnes, Chilwell or Choudhury we can develop is massively important to us? 

Seen some Peterborough fans on twitter say Josh Knight has been the best all round midfielder they've had there in years. Interesting position for us to be in with both KDH and Knight in the periphery when we will be losing Mendy, King, James, Silva all in the next year. There's a definite need for a 5th/6th choice option with Europe likely on the horizon.

• Like 2

don't the club still see Knight as a Cb long term, another ball playing CB is never a bad thing, Wes will only have maybe another season at his age leaving Evans, Soyuncu and Benkovic as first teamers

Edited by Jimmy

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Seen some Peterborough fans on twitter say Josh Knight has been the best all round midfielder they've had there in years. Interesting position for us to be in with both KDH and Knight in the periphery when we will be losing Mendy, King, James, Silva all in the next year. There's a definite need for a 5th/6th choice option with Europe likely on the horizon.

Would love to see him given an opportunity. From clips I've seen, looks a decent player and could potentially fill a hole in defence should we need. Hopefully both are either given an opportunity or loaned to upper championship clubs.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

...I see where you are going with this!!!

The problem I see is that we have held both these players back playing U23 football. We can not in all honesty stall their process by bringing them back into the same situation that they had left.

I still feel we brought Barnes back too soon as he was clearly developing away from us in a team pushing for promotion.

We need to let our players develop even if it means they want to sign to another club, we owe it to them.

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Because Mendy is out of contract at the end of the season, James is more then likely going to be fit for any considerable amount of time.

So we are left with Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi, Praet and Choudhury, so finding out if KDH can cut it at PL level at some point is a good idea. 

We have got the money of the big clubs, so every Barnes, Chilwell or Choudhury we can develop is massively important to us? 

I'd take Josh Knight over him every day of the week.

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I see where you are going with this!!!

The problem I see is that we have held both these players back playing U23 football. We can not in all honesty stall their process by bringing them back into the same situation that they had left.

I still feel we brought Barnes back too soon as he was clearly developing away from us in a team pushing for promotion.

We need to let our players develop even if it means they want to sign to another club, we owe it to them.

I think the only thing we got wrong with Barnes was bringing him back from his loan spell at Barnsley and not then loaning him out to another Championship club at the end of that January window. 

The experience he gained in the PL after his loan spell at West Brom was all part and parcel of his development to where he is now. Our form player of 2020 and one of our most exciting talents. 

It would be nice to involve a few more next season with extra games but loan soells are essential for the majority of our 18/19+ academy players. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FIF said:

I'd take Josh Knight over him every day of the week.

I haven't seen enough of ethier to comment who better. 

They have both shown they are ready and need a step up in quality to carry on their development.

In the U23 midfield we have younger players that have shown at least as much promise as Dewsbury hall. Leshabela, callum Wright and even Connor Tee who is 2 years younger. I just can't see KDH being good enough to make our squad, when you think back to Lawrence not being able to make it and he was imo far better. Of course KDH could seems to have benefited greatly from his loan spell so perhaps I'm being rough on the kid. For me our GKs were outstanding , Iverson and Johannson, with Sam Hughes and Josh Knight having great potential even though time seems to be passing them by whilst we stuck with Morgan at the back (and brought in bennett). I thought Ughelumba had serious potential but maybe they've decided to go with Luke Thomas who also looks very good and is 18 months younger. Darnell Johnson seems to have halted in his progress wince before his loan which was a disaster for him.

As for the forwards we have a number who show flashes but none of them seem to have the all round consistent ability that we need, I think I've now moved onto Shade as our next hope.

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Bearing in mind how well he did on loan there last year, that was a strange move to send him back to League One considering he's 22. Seems like yet another failing from the under 23's but maybe that full year in a settled environment will actually be a genius move. Always looked very good the little I have seen of him so hope he's involved here at some point.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I think we’ll find Atleast one of KDH or JK fighting for a place next season, especially with the midfield losing a fair few players; with the other going out on loan to a championship club.

I’d rather we invest in Tavares next year. He can play in the cup games & provide cover for our 6 first team CM’s (Ndidi, Choudhury, Tielemans, Praet, Maddison & possibly Lallana). 

KDH is better off out on loan & there’s still a good chance Knight ends up as a versatile CB. 

Edited by Shane

Just now, Shane said:

I’d rather we invest in Tavares next year. He can play in the cup games & provide cover for our 6 first team CM’s (Ndidi, Choudhury, Tielemans, Praet, Maddison & possibly Lallana). 

KDH is better off out on loan & there’s still a good chance Knight ends up as a versatile CB. 

Tavares has barely played for the u23s as of yet so I’d be steady when thinking about him getting even a cup game.

ideally both KDH and Knight both get championship loans but we’ll see. Knight seems to be being moulded into a midfielder (Atleast that’s how Peterborough have seen him)

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Tavares has barely played for the u23s as of yet so I’d be steady when thinking about him getting even a cup game.

ideally both KDH and Knight both get championship loans but we’ll see. Knight seems to be being moulded into a midfielder (Atleast that’s how Peterborough have seen him)

Fair enough. I do wonder if Knight would be a better option than Bennett. His ability to cover CB/RB/CM would make him a very useful squad player. 

Just now, Shane said:

Fair enough. I do wonder if Knight would be a better option than Bennett. His ability to cover CB/RB/CM would make him a very useful squad player. 

Yes! That’s why I could see him being the one to stay but does depend if we sign a centreback like rumoured this summer

4 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

..he looks good enough to be on the bench!!

Not playing in the U23s is not a drawback to advancing ones career.

On 15/06/2020 at 21:02, An Sionnach said:

What we really need is a U28 team so we can bring these lads on carefully.

Well Brendan is trying to introduce an O35  team so you never know....

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Eppiah also called up to train with the first team this week, glad he's involved.

Leshabala has been training too hasn’t he? Also seen dewsbury-hall warming up in the practise match at the kp on one video (I know KDH can’t play)