Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

YOURI TIELEMANS SIGNS!

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it's when he plays deeper for us with very little width outside of him that he has struggled and seemingly dithered on the ball. His best performances for us are when he and Maddison push further up with the protection of Ndidi or Choudhury and have a multiple of options with wingers and full backs overlapping. 

I just find it quite alarming how restrictive the flow of our system is when we add in another DCM and everything seems to change. Theres just no impetus or zip about our play and players then stop moving automatically and everything feels a bit unnatural. 

If Rodgers doesn't understand this or continues to ignore our strengths then I honestly can't cut him any slack, if this was a manager with less of a glowing reputation then he'd be slaughtered. There's another 2 huge games coming up where he's bound to be tempted with the same system and personnel with a bogey team at home in between. 

We really could see our season feel and appear in disarray after just 8 games if we aren't careful. 

Tielemans needs to certainly step up his game, we can make excuses and moan about how he is being deployed incorrectly but if I'm really honest I held him in such a high regard last season that I thought he would be our lynchpin week in, week out and at worst would just be a bit ineffective but so far this season he has been borderline anonymous. 

Time for Rodgers to swallow his pride a bit and stop overthinking the tactics and science of the game. He's probably boring them all, just stick them out there and fire them up.

Spot on. Especially the highlighted paragraph. 

We have to play with wide men. It gives Maddison & Tielemans the pockets and space to create. In yesterday's midfield we had Maddison starting on the left wing. How crazy is that? No wonder the players look confused as to their roles in the team!

And we have to have some belief from BR. It really gives the players a negative vibe when he sets up like yesterday. Man Utd are nothing but a bang average mid table P/L team and we should have set up in a way which showed that. Showing respect to a team is correct, but our line up actually helped give Man Utd confidence. 

Tielemans is a shadow of last season's Tielemans. Perez looks totally wrong in our line up. Maddison only comes to life once proper wingers are in the team.

It all points to the balance and set up of the team.

If Rogers wants to play Ndidi & Choudhury in the same team we will continually see our creative players under perform.

• Like 2

Choudhury has done really well, don't get me wrong, but he's a battleaxe. He's very limited offensively. At the moment he's not a viable option in a midfield 2 with Ndidi. It has to be one or the other them unless one of them becomes far more creative. 

I'd play Ndidi and Tielemans in midfield and Maddison as a number 10 every single game. Build the team around him. 

Looked better when we shifted Maddison forward. Id say its not so much Youri playing poorly, I think everything about our attack is labored with extremely limited options when we play 2 CDM's who don't have the ability to receive a pass and look forward. Was clear as day after 20 mins yesterday we were not going to score with it as it was, shame we waited until 70 mins to change shape. Just seems to be reactive rather than proactive at the minute with every tactical decision. 

Edited by L3n9a

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If he's that desperate to get Choudhury and Ndidi in together then I'd rather he stick one of them in a back 3 as a sweeper and then have Maddison and Tielemans together with Barnes up front with Vardy.

Which makes a lot of sense.

I've said the same in other posts. A back 3 would give Maddison & Tielemans the central positions and more space to create. I'd also like to see Perez have a more forward role, just behind Vardy, and not stuck out on the wing looking like the lost soul he has become.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

I was thinking that , Wilf goes back on the left side , frees up Chilwell and Pereira as wingers and you have 5-1-3-1. Praet - Maddison - Tielmans in front of Hamza.

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it's when he plays deeper for us with very little width outside of him that he has struggled and seemingly dithered on the ball. His best performances for us are when he and Maddison push further up with the protection of Ndidi or Choudhury and have a multiple of options with wingers and full backs overlapping. 

I just find it quite alarming how restrictive the flow of our system is when we add in another DCM and everything seems to change. Theres just no impetus or zip about our play and players then stop moving automatically and everything feels a bit unnatural. 

If Rodgers doesn't understand this or continues to ignore our strengths then I honestly can't cut him any slack, if this was a manager with less of a glowing reputation then he'd be slaughtered. There's another 2 huge games coming up where he's bound to be tempted with the same system and personnel with a bogey team at home in between. 

We really could see our season feel and appear in disarray after just 8 games if we aren't careful. 

Tielemans needs to certainly step up his game, we can make excuses and moan about how he is being deployed incorrectly but if I'm really honest I held him in such a high regard last season that I thought he would be our lynchpin week in, week out and at worst would just be a bit ineffective but so far this season he has been borderline anonymous. 

Time for Rodgers to swallow his pride a bit and stop overthinking the tactics and science of the game. He's probably boring them all, just stick them out there and fire them up.

I really don't think it's implausible we don't win again until November. If we're going to keep playing this daft system, with a mix of tough games and then ones we're likely to struggle against stylistically (Newcastle, Burnley). If he sees sense and goes back to 4-3-3 with Maddison and Tielemans in the middle it'll take off again but I'm not convinced. I thought he'd shaken it after that Bournemouth game but he hasn't.

On 15/09/2019 at 11:03, Ric Flair said:

Spot on in every way for me Ric I can't really add anything to that. I just hope like you that Rodgers hasn't got a Messiah complex.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I really don't think it's implausible we don't win again until November. If we're going to keep playing this daft system, with a mix of tough games and then ones we're likely to struggle against stylistically (Newcastle, Burnley). If he sees sense and goes back to 4-3-3 with Maddison and Tielemans in the middle it'll take off again but I'm not convinced. I thought he'd shaken it after that Bournemouth game but he hasn't.

In his post match interview, Rodgers quickly jumped in before they could ask about why Maddison was being played out of position on the left. He pointed out how outstanding Maddison was ‘on the left’ against Chelsea. I think he sees it as a good option so my worry is, it continues against the better sides. It spoils Maddison, spoils Tielemans and isolates Vardy to the levels we saw under Puel. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Starting to make me wonder whether ‘the bigger clubs’ didn’t come in for Tielemans for a reason? 

I still believe he’s a great player but MUST be played correctly and he must step up himself. I’m afraid at the moment he’s looking lightweight

Slight upgrade to Silva on this seasons showings. 

29 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Slight upgrade to Silva on this seasons showings. 

Well he's already contributed a goal and an assist which ultimately gained us two points so that's a massive upgrade on Silva's contributions for us. Quite astonished at how very ordinary he has been though compared with last season, but until we go back to 4-1-4-1 and he still looks shit then i'll stand by my judgement that he is a class act for us and it's beggars belief that Rodgers is willing to make the whole flow of our team less fluid and dangerous just to give us some supposed extra protection with a 2nd DCM, which so far has culminated in us conceding the first goal in the opening 10 mins in both away games we've done it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dickov22 said:

In his post match interview, Rodgers quickly jumped in before they could ask about why Maddison was being played out of position on the left. He pointed out how outstanding Maddison was ‘on the left’ against Chelsea. I think he sees it as a good option so my worry is, it continues against the better sides. It spoils Maddison, spoils Tielemans and isolates Vardy to the levels we saw under Puel. 

Maddison could have a blinder every week out on the left but if Vardy, Tielemans, Ricardo and a few others game seems way below how they play when we're playing to our strengths then what's the point? For all his outstanding play vs Chelsea it was only a corner from him that got us any tangible end product. He missed an absolute sitter as per usual and continued his abysmal composure in front of goal from open play.

I'm furious today after this weekends results. It shows just how ordinary the majority of teams are in this division and yet we are shooting ourselves in the foot by trying to be too clever and tactical. Rodgers is his own worst enemy at times, a purveyor of the beautiful game but seemingly over complicates it on occasions. He has talked a number of times about how he doesn't view formations as being set in stone and he likes his players to be fluid and harks back to his front 3 at Liverpool, this is all fine and in essence when a manager can operate a team like that it can be devastating but it is also hard to execute and we evidently don't have the right players for it yet.

I cannot for the life of me understand why he is determined to move away from a system that will see us beat 65-70% of teams in this division, probably enough to get us top 6 if things go to plan. The reputation he had of not bowing down to bigger teams and at times being a bit naïve defensively is either wildly inaccurate or he is trying to learn from that and right now it's hindering us. We are a fast and direct team that plays on the front foot, if this means we are vulnerable at the back at times then so be it, we have 2 of the best tacklers in Ndidi or Choudhury that we aren't sitting ducks.

I feel mildly let down by Rodgers so far this season and perhaps the expectation and hype that he has helped stir is at play here. All things considered why should we suddenly be a top 6, maybe even top 4 team given we've barely signed anyone and there are many sides like us trying to upset the applecart. But then we have many incredibly talented young players and a manager who is happy to publicly talk about his visions and ambitions, which we'll inevitably get caught up in.

Get out there on Saturday and put a marker down.

• Like 3

Yt certainly played the Belgium Scotland game for 85  mins and covered a lot of ground constantly asking for the ball in generally deep role Looked pretty spent when taken off so a weeks rest may do the trick,he plays a lot of simple stuff but keeps the ball and then lets go the odd killer ball.I think he will be OK

Yeah I really don't know why people were persisting with this "the reason he is playing poorly is because of the system" excuse. When the issues with Tielemans have been him dwelling on the ball, slowing the game down and not spotting passes, which are individual issues, not something you can put down to a system change. The formation doesn't stop a talented footballer like Tiekenans from getting his head up and spotting a simple through ball.

He played back in the middle of park like he did last season today, and he looked the same lethargic player who seemed to have a slowness of thought and kept missing potential passes he's been all season so far.

I'm hoping Praet will come in for the League Cup and be given a chance to show what he can do so Rodgers has to make a decision against Newcastle, but I'd certainly be tempted to drop Tielemans against Newcastle for a game or two if Praet is ready to step up.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1