Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

YOURI TIELEMANS SIGNS!

Some of his passing into the likes of Maddison and our wide players yesterday were sublime.

Second half though for whatever reason he looked absolutely spent by the time he got took off.

When watching him this season the only thing I'm really concerned about is his defensive work, yesterday Ndidi had to do a shed load of covering.

Average is the word to describe him so far this season, constant 6/10 performances.

4 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Not one to shit stur but last season when he was awesome he was also in the shop window hoping to get a big club in for him.

No one came so he signs for us where he knows he is considered a key player and will play all the time without having to deliver the goods.

Doesn't strike me as a player that would do that, another mediocre - crap stint at a club and he'll never reach the heights expected of him. I am not concerned yet, I do wonder if his fitness needs questioning or if that's just the style of player he is.

He doesn't look fit, is gradually getting worse throughout the match. I was surprised he didn't come off sooner as it looked like his legs had completely gone. It could have cost us as the chance Spurs had a few minutes before Choudhury came on where he went to pass it but got nothing on the pass and set them up to go through on goal, they showed it on MOTD.

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Doesn't strike me as a player that would do that, another mediocre - crap stint at a club and he'll never reach the heights expected of him. I am not concerned yet, I do wonder if his fitness needs questioning or if that's just the style of player he is.

Maybe subconsciously he has lost focus and it may just be temporary.

Of course he might just be going through a rough patch like nearly all players do.

• Like 1

A  much better game from him yesterday but his stamina just isn't cutting it this year. what has happened?

We actually looked better after he came off.

Still head and shoulders above what I've seen from Praet though.

I'd like to see the two of them play together with Madders on the bench for the Luton game.

2 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Don't think he was bad yesterday, played a lovely ball through for vardy. He just isn't as stand out at the minute as he was last season. 

Agree with you. I've gone back and watched the game again and honestly he was quite decent. He definitely tired at the end (unsurprising given the press we play) and did have some moments of giving the ball away, but he was generally positive, made some great forward runs and connected defence with attack. It's just that as you say he hasn't hit the form of last season - yet. But even playing the way he did yesterday, which was 6 or 7 out of 10 by his standards, we still won the game and he was effectual for us too.

As our record signing it's more than fair to ask for more for him. But he's been OK and still an integral part of the first team. I do think he should be rested mid week, and bringing in Praet was a good idea - it gives us competition for places and I believe Praet after some more of an adjustment period will be a great option for us.

I think the fact he did 90 against Luton is quite telling, surely it has mainly been a fitness issue, which has had a knock on effect on his confidence. Maddison made a subtle reference to fitness a few games back, when asked about YT, I think.

It's hard to look good in midfield if you are a bit short physically, there are few hiding places. He didn't really get the full pre-season, and there were one or two photos early doors where he looked 'less fit' than the others. He is quite thickset naturally anyway so I think my theory hangs together nicely.

I think he has been managing it, but BR wasn't interested in giving him a rest cos he is still catching up with the rest.

I'm not saying fitness is the only issue, I'm sure BR's conservative tactics also played a part, but I'm thinking fitness has been the main one. Probably.

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Still just pull a startled face every time I realise he plays for us and we own him. How? Why? Bizarre 

What did you make of his performance?

I think he was about a 6 or 7 out of 10 by his standards, mainly because he made a huge cock-up near the end that Burnley scored from before VAR saved us. But  we are learning that Youri Tielemans at 7/10 is still a very good player who can make the difference. There were so many times during the match we were playing the ball side to side, but as soon as it went to him it was forwards, it was creative and it led to openings over and over again. That's what I like about him the most, he tries to make things happen and doesn't give up even if things don't come off.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

What did you make of his performance?

I think he was about a 6 or 7 out of 10 by his standards, mainly because he made a huge cock-up near the end that Burnley scored from before VAR saved us. But  we are learning that Youri Tielemans at 7/10 is still a very good player who can make the difference. There were so many times during the match we were playing the ball side to side, but as soon as it went to him it was forwards, it was creative and it led to openings over and over again. That's what I like about him the most, he tries to make things happen and doesn't give up even if things don't come off.

Good question. Probably 7/10 but was our best player today which isn't as bigger compliment as it ought to be but we weren't that great. Youri was classy in parts, the livelier of him and Maddison and at the heart of the bits of good football we played. Stunning finish but as you say he was caught on the ball for the ruled out equaliser.

I think like Perez though, he has improved a lot in recent weeks but due to expectations or past performances people have stopped going over the top with him, I personally think he's a gift and cherish every performance as I'd be staggered if he's still here aged 25.

• Like 2

As stated above, still hasn’t really kicked on here to the player we know he can definitely be. 

Having said that, a 6-7/10 Youri is still fantastic and has made the difference in a few games already this season. Complete luxury player to have but I love him. Class act.

Just now, TJB-fox said:

As stated above, still hasn’t really kicked on here to the player we know he can definitely be. 

Having said that, a 6-7/10 Youri is still fantastic and has made the difference in a few games already this season. Complete luxury player to have but I love him. Class act.

What I love about him, is he's one of only 3 or 4 players in this team that can and does score goals. He has end product and he might not be as impeccable as he was when on loan but he's still winning us points and dictating play. I think he will improve as the season goes on and do not rule him out for PFA Player of the Season, I mean it.

• Like 4