Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

YOURI TIELEMANS SIGNS!

3 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Thoughts on his performances since signing permanently?.. 

Bit disappointing? 

Don't think so tbh. He's doing what he's been told to do. He was always going to look a better player when he had 2 wingers constantly in space to play the ball to. Now we play too central forcing harder passes, you're gonna misplace more than you thread through at first. Add to that, so far we've played wolves and Chelsea, 2 very good teams, and at least imo, sheff utd were very well set up too. 

• Like 2

Looked so much better when Maddison dropped back into no.8.

When you have two players of such attacking quality occupying the same lines, it's a nightmare for the opposition - as we've seen with De Bruyne and Silva at Man City. Push one further forward and the opposition will find it easier to mark both players.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

If you ask him to cover the entire right side of the pitch and take him out of the areas where he can make a difference and you're gonna end up with a lesser player. 

That's not been the issue so far with Tielemans though.

The frustration so far has been him turning into Richie Wellens and slowing down our counter-attacks.

In the first 3 games, he keeps getting in great positions when we've just turned the ball over with Vardy and Maddidon bombing forward and instead of playing the quick ball forward, he keeps really frustratingly not looking up, dwelling on the ball and allowing the opposition a chance to get defenders back.

Last season he would have played the quick through ball through. It may not always have come off, but he's not been playing our game si far, he keeps needlessly slowing the game down right when we need him to quick release.

There's other players I think you can say are struggling with the system these first 3 games but I dont think you can with Tielemans, he's just not getting his up and he keeps stifling our counter-attacks and that's nobodies issue but his own.

Of course, its only 3 games and everyone goes through poor form and we all know he could easily turn it back on next weekend, but he's definitely been frustratingly slowing down play so far this season and I don't think you can blame his poor performances so far on the system or the manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeffschlupp said:

Looked so much better when Maddison dropped back into no.8.

When you have two players of such attacking quality occupying the same lines, it's a nightmare for the opposition - as we've seen with De Bruyne and Silva at Man City. Push one further forward and the opposition will find it easier to mark both players.

Yep this is the crux of it. When he has to do it all himself, he doesn't look so good. Remember Praet is a new signing and adjusting to the league. He had some nice touches but the game largely passed him by. But I think when he is up to speed then in theory with Praet, Maddison AND Tielemans in the team, that is more creativity than we have ever had in a Leicester team.

Tielemans certainly hasn't been as good as last season or as good as he was in preseason, but I don't think he's been terrible. It's just that he has set himself very high standards.

I also think that as of right now, Rodgers doesn't know what his strongest team is and not in a bad way. We have lots of good players in the squad and you can make arguments for starting many different players in several different systems. I think we will have a better idea once we are about ten games into the season.

He's had three average games so far by his lofty standards but it's Bournemouth at home next and if you cast your mind back, he gave one of the great Leicester City midfield performances in that fixture last season.

He will come good (again). Keep the faith.

• Like 2

Needs to be higher up the pitch with Maddison, that's where they both do damage. For a supposed master tactician I'm perplexed by Rodgers this season. Baffled why he's trying to over complicate things when we have creativity and class in several areas of the pitch if we go 4-1-4-1 and press.

• Like 2

He isn't effective enough in our current system, it somewhat limits his ability.

Against Wolves it wasn't the fact he was poor, we just didn't get him in the game enough.

Against Chelsea I thought he got better as the game went on, when the game opened up in the second half he played some really nice passes up to Maddison, Perez and Vardy.

Today he picked out some nice passes but he also had quite a few lackadaisical moments.

Three 6/10 performances in a row for me, not good, not bad, bang average.

• Like 1

Today it looked like he thought he had more time on the ball than he actually did. Got caught at least once and was lucky not be dispossessed more. Whether that’s the lack of options, him wanting to play forward rather than sideways/backwards or him just generally being off the pace remains to be seen. 

The talent is there for sure, let’s hope he shows it sooner rather than later. 

2 minutes ago, kingfox said:

He isn't effective enough in our current system, it somewhat limits his ability.

Against Wolves it wasn't the fact he was poor, we just didn't get him in the game enough.

Against Chelsea I thought he got better as the game went on, when the game opened up in the second half he played some really nice passes up to Maddison, Perez and Vardy.

Today he picked out some nice passes but he also had quite a few lackadaisical moments.

Three 6/10 performances in a row for me, not good, not bad, bang average.

Yeah, this is pretty much my take on it. The amount of times he wins the ball in the right centre of midfield with minimal options other than to go square to Ricardo or inside to Choudhury or on our of CB's is frustrating. We need to stretch the play more but 2 of the 3 teams we've played play 5 at the back and we do seem to be laboured and restricted more against teams who play that system than flat back fours. Time we got more support out wide for Tielemans and Maddison to be able to spead play or at least have them pull players out of position to open the pitch up.

Early days. BR seeming to want to build a solid foundation and being far more cautious than he is known to be. We are going to have to spread our wings a bit - literally. Once we do open up a bit and play with more width Youri will start to shine again. I think he has been ok, but little more than that. Then again most of the team have been just about ok and nothing more. 

We do expect a lot, the lads marked as a danger man by every side, so it marked as tight as wet denim and not granted the same freedom on the pitch as others in our starting 11 are. This actually frees up spaces for other players to shine. Maddison has started the season strong, and this will be a factor... if Youri picks up a knock then watch Maddisons form change as hes tracked much tighter than he is now.

squad game and he happens to be the one teams look to nutralise at present, his time will come.

Edited by berniethebolt
  • Like 1

Guest MattP

He's got serious quality, we know that.

I am slightly worried though, because I've seen this before with loan signings going permanent and last year I just couldn't work out how he was surplus to requirements at Monaco.

Hopefully it's just an early season blip.