Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

1 hour ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

This is all there is to say really.

How the hell we've had three pages of this just because someone posted what a waste it was that MJ couldn’t fulfill his potential I’ll never know. If you feel the need to say he was never all that anyway and all fading Leicester players are actually shite, go and join a Forest forum.

When somebody starts talking about him being far superior to a player that was a key part in us winning the league, or could have been on a similar level to Vardy, then people will disagree. We don’t all have to gush about a player that has not shown us anything for a long time and not at all really in the Premier League. 

People also have a right not to feel desperately sad for a person on such a contract like his.

So no, i’ll be sticking around thanks. 

Edited by Viva

8 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

I don't understand your stance on this at all. The guy did a service for us and helped us to get promoted, he also played a big part in keeping us up. I know from well known sources that he he is a great guy on the training ground, always helping to raise morale and keep things ticking over. He does a lot of coaching and mentoring for the younger players too. 

Our chairman believes in honouring those who have given service and as a club we have offered Matty a helping hand in some pretty terrible circumstances for the lad. Other players see the security you have here and opt to choose us over other clubs because they know that working for Top and bless him Vichai, gives you a respect and a blessing you wouldn't get at any other club. 

If it helps us to attract players, creates better morale at the camp and he's offering alternative services to playing. I really don't see the problem. Same with Kingy (who I believe is doing his badges in order to play a coaching role here when he retires) 

I might seem hard-nosed, but I have to ask myself what is so special about James?  Why don't we have Wasyl or Simpson hanging around on expensive contracts after they have outgrown their usefulness?

We have a lot of players on expensive contracts such as Slim and Silva, we cannot shift them for that reason and it is crass mismanagement to then throw contracts around on players that are injured.  Whatever happened to testimonials?

To extend your argument, let's suppose player X is a first teamer that unfortunately sustains a potentially career ending injury.  His contract is up, do we then give him another playing contract?  After all, he is a great guy and coaches some of the youngsters.

Player Y is also a jolly decent chap, but he can't cut the mustard on the pitch.  When his contract ends, do we do likewise?  If not, I have to ask again, what is so special about Matty James?

Giving James a new playing contract when he was still recovering from a season long injury was immense folly.  MJ won the jackpot that day, he earns more than most of us could dream of for doing very little which is why I think that any sympathy might be better reserved for the more deserving.   Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Matty James has been a decent player for us at Championship level and, occasionally, at Premier League level. He played a role during our Championship seasons and our PL great escape season.

i also think he’s a player who has gone through that classic cycle of having his stock rise through absence. People remember the good bits, forget the bad bits and have a great deal of sympathy because of his injuries.

MJ was always a limited player in my opinion. He could sit in midfield and look nice and comfortable, but didn’t have a great range of passing, acceleration to get  past opponents or the disruption qualities of a Kante or N’didi. Just average to good at Championship level and average at PL level. 

You can pick moments when he was a better performer than the likes of Drinkwater out, but to say that he’s ever threatened the heights reached when Drinkwater was at his best is nonsense. He’s never reached anything like the quality of Cambiasso, Kante, Drinkwater, N’didi or Tielemans. To some extent I’d even rather have Hamza, Mendy or even King in the team.

If he was fit and available and we were still using him then I’d take it as evidence that we’d failed quite badly in the transfer market since 2015. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, murphy said:

I might seem hard-nosed, but I have to ask myself what is so special about James?  Why don't we have Wasyl or Simpson hanging around on expensive contracts after they have outgrown their usefulness?

We have a lot of players on expensive contracts such as Slim and Silva, we cannot shift them for that reason and it is crass mismanagement to then throw contracts around on players that are injured.  Whatever happened to testimonials?

To extend your argument, let's suppose player X is a first teamer that unfortunately sustains a potentially career ending injury.  His contract is up, do we then give him another playing contract?  After all, he is a great guy and coaches some of the youngsters.

Player Y is also a jolly decent chap, but he can't cut the mustard on the pitch.  When his contract ends, do we do likewise?  If not, I have to ask again, what is so special about Matty James?

Giving James a new playing contract when he was still recovering from a season long injury was immense folly.  MJ won the jackpot that day, he earns more than most of us could dream of for doing very little which is why I think that any sympathy might be better reserved for the more deserving.   Just my opinion.

In the cut-throat, ruthless football industry, do you really think the club would have done it unless they felt that something could have been gained overall? Far be it for me to assume that I know exactly why they wanted to extend James' contract, but I think for you to suggest that it's 'crass mismanagement' doesn't really have much basis either. While I do think that once his current contract runs out, he won't be offered another, perhaps the club foresaw a different speed of recovery? Maybe even a sense in training that he was reaching a suitable level to fulfil a need we'd have? They have a fully qualified team of doctors, sports scientists and analysts after all - I'd prefer to place a bit of trust in them. 

Also, this issue is very separate from the Slimani and Silva business we did in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

In the cut-throat, ruthless football industry, do you really think the club would have done it unless they felt that something could have been gained overall? Far be it for me to assume that I know exactly why they wanted to extend James' contract, but I think for you to suggest that it's 'crass mismanagement' doesn't really have much basis either. While I do think that once his current contract runs out, he won't be offered another, perhaps the club foresaw a different speed of recovery? Maybe even a sense in training that he was reaching a suitable level to fulfil a need we'd have? They have a fully qualified team of doctors, sports scientists and analysts after all - I'd prefer to place a bit of trust in them. 

Also, this issue is very separate from the Slimani and Silva business we did in my opinion. 

Yes, they probably thought he would recover,  it was a mistake.  The player was long term injured at the time.

My post was in response to somebody saying that the club looked after James rather than offered a contract on it's merits, so you and I actually agree, at least in part.

I don't put James in with Slim and Silva but they provide the context of long expensive contracts that the club is tied to for no reward. 

many moan about the salary he is drawing, however, as has been pointed out it seems that, whilst currently not fit enough to play in the PL he is obviously valuable in the training routines and coaching with the youth squad etc. Nobody really knows exactly what his contribution may or may not be apart from those within the club. whilst players salaries are bandied around on the media (with varying degrees of accuracy) does anybody know what a coach gets paid. Considering they are ex players, (usually at a top level) I can only assume that in the over-inflated micro economy that is the world of professional football they would be on a fairly decent screw, so what he is getting paid may not be that outrageous?

37 minutes ago, urban fox said:

many moan about the salary he is drawing, however, as has been pointed out it seems that, whilst currently not fit enough to play in the PL he is obviously valuable in the training routines and coaching with the youth squad etc. Nobody really knows exactly what his contribution may or may not be apart from those within the club. whilst players salaries are bandied around on the media (with varying degrees of accuracy) does anybody know what a coach gets paid. Considering they are ex players, (usually at a top level) I can only assume that in the over-inflated micro economy that is the world of professional football they would be on a fairly decent screw, so what he is getting paid may not be that outrageous?

He won’t be on that much i would not have thought.

Should be moved on at the first opportunity in my eyes and maybe we shouldn’t of offered him a new deal but we gave him a chance. It’s not worked out, we move on, not the end of the world.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

On 28/08/2019 at 18:20, murphy said:

He was absolutely not recovering from a long term injury when he got his deal. He had just played 20 odd games for Barnsley playing Tuesday/Saturday every week and being head and shoulders the best player there.

He then had a cracking pre season playing a full 90 on numerous occasions. - City gave him a new deal because he was in the last year of his contract, had proved his fitness and they were in danger of loosing a valuable asset for little or no money there were clubs in for him (Derby if I remember). I don't know why people don't get this? It's really not rocket science. 

There were no favours given, it was a stone cold business decision that at the time was the right one But with hindsight was the wrong the one so far but there are no guarantees in football all the club can do is weigh each decision up on its own merits and the 4 or 5 million his contract will cost the club is a relatively small amount and if by some miracle he does regain and maintain his fitness we could still get a chunk of it back or even turn a profit as he's a quality player. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can make this argument for any fringe player.

Look at andy king, he's averaged 10 starts in the PL in 3 seasons prior to  getting injured for Derby, and managed to get a 4 year deal in 2016.

MJ was injured and got better, king was fine and then got injured and we paid his wages for 6 months while he recovered.

You pay these players as insurance, in  case you need them.

• Like 1

Bored of all the ifs and buts about this guy  he simply shouldn’t have been given a 4 year deal and is a sick note .  Pay per play or a rolling contract that’s all we owe this guy . He even hasn’t been massively influential for Leicester just a bit part player the guys has managed about  100 appearances in 7 years average of roughly 14 appearances a year which most were probably subbed on of off . If we’re serious about top six we need to get shot of players like him and King 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, baldeagle said:

Bored of all the ifs and buts about this guy  he simply shouldn’t have been given a 4 year deal and is a sick note .  Pay per play or a rolling contract that’s all we owe this guy . He even hasn’t been massively influential for Leicester just a bit part player the guys has managed about  100 appearances in 7 years average of roughly 14 appearances a year which most were probably subbed on of off . If we’re serious about top six we need to get shot of players like him and King 

He started 32 games in the season we won the championship finishing 23 of them (not sure why it matters if he got subbed of for the last 10/15 minutes?) And started 22 during the great escape season finishing 20. 

Not what I'd call a bit part player in 2 of our biggest ever season s.

But hey let's not get little, inconsequential things like facts get in the way of a good bashing.

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

He started 32 games in the season we won the championship finishing 23 of them (not sure why it matters if he got subbed of for the last 10/15 minutes?) And started 22 during the great escape season finishing 20. 

Not what I'd call a bit part player in 2 of our biggest ever season s.

But hey let's not get little, inconsequential things like facts get in the way of a good bashing.

And  done nothing but be injured since which still works out an average of 14 games a season over 7 years . Yes he featured heavily the season we go promoted but He  was subbed off  9 times that season so was he even any good . Then the great escape season he was part of a team that was bottom of the table for 3/4 of the season hardly a glowing reference. We then managed to stay up due to a few smart purchases and a system change . He was also out injured so wasn’t part of the great escape.  

2 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

And  done nothing but be injured since which still works out an average of 14 games a season over 7 years . Yes he featured heavily the season we go promoted but He  was subbed off  9 times that season so was he even any good . Then the great escape season he was part of a team that was bottom of the table for 3/4 of the season hardly a glowing reference. We then managed to stay up due to a few smart purchases and a system change . He was also out injured so wasn’t part of the great escape.  

I think he hot injured in the swansea game. .. so he did his bit.

However it ckear he id blighted by injury.  I kiked the way he pkayed dbd the way he fronted up when interviewed.... but i am sad to say we cannot rely on him.... so its a no from me

6 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

why is that relevant? Shinji Okazaki was subsituted off 28 times and substituted on 7 times when we won the league. was he even any good?

I'll give you a clue...

yes, yes he was.

Image result for shinji okazaki trophy

11 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

where are you getting this from? James got injured in the Southampton match so only missed the final sunderland nil nil through injury. he started the West Ham, West Brom, Chelsea, newcastle and southampton games in the great escape period but like I say why let facts get in the way of a good bashing.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

where are you getting this from? James got injured in the Southampton match so only missed the final sunderland nil nil through injury. he started the West Ham, West Brom, Chelsea, newcastle and southampton games in the great escape period but like I say why let facts get in the way of a good bashing.

My memory is playing tricks on me - I thought he got injured in the Newcastle game (which I went to). 

I'm quite prepared to be told I have false memory syndrome on this one.

On 28/08/2019 at 18:20, murphy said:

He wasn’t recovering, he’d played half a season in the championship getting rave reviews. The length of the contract is up for discussion, but not getting him to

sign something. 

19 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

why is that relevant? Shinji Okazaki was subsituted off 28 times and substituted on 7 times when we won the league. was he even any good?

I'll give you a clue...

yes, yes he was.

I was sure he got injured early in the season so I have no problem saying I was incorrect . But the fact still remains in 7 years he’s hardly played because of injury an average of 14 games  a season . And I was going on about him being subbed as this reduces his minutes still further. So if you worked out the actually time he’s spent playing for us it makes woeful reading . 

7 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

I was sure he got injured early in the season so I have no problem saying I was incorrect . But the fact still remains in 7 years he’s hardly played because of injury an average of 14 games  a season . And I was going on about him being subbed as this reduces his minutes still further. So if you worked out the actually time he’s spent playing for us it makes woeful reading . 

Fair enough not arguing that he's had a very limited contribution since his his injury more arguing that he wasn't a bit part player before it.

45 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I'll give you a clue...

yes, yes he was.

You need to get your facts sorted yourself. He started 4 matches overall in the great escape. He was subbed off after 60 mins in one of them before not playing the next 3. He then got injured against Southampton after 13 mins in the last of the 4. 

Edited by Viva
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Viva said:

You need to get your facts sorted yourself. He started 4 matches overall in the great escape. He was subbed off after 60 mins in one of them before not playing the next 3. He then got injured against Southampton after 13 mins in the last of the 4. 

West ham won 2-1 started

West Brom won 3-2 Started

Swansea won 2-0 on the bench

Burnley won 1-0 on the bench came on for last 15

Chelsea lost 3-1 started on bench played 71 minutes

Newcastle Won 3-0 started

Southampton Won 3-0 started got injured horrifically after 13 minutes with city 1-0 up.

Whether he started 5 or started 4 and came on for 2 it's still a significant contribution to a 8 game period.

• Like 1