Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

30 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Most of our managers have but  unfortunately the guy just can’t stay fit and I’m not sure his body would cope with the intensity in which Rogers likes  to play . Plus we’ve moved on massively . Would you put him in front of any of our other midfielders ?

Seems like the kind of player who could come on with 10 mins to go to sure the game up. But with Hamza now, I struggle to see him getting the opportunity. Even Mendy is probably a better alternative.

James is too defensive and too accident prone to be of much use. Rodgers is probably hoping to talk the player up to be able to ship him out on loan or sold. His contract is coming up for renewal in 18 months I think and he has hardly played in the last 3 years. Can anyone seriously think he has another contract extension pending?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bazly said:

James is too defensive and too accident prone to be of much use. Rodgers is probably hoping to talk the player up to be able to ship him out on loan or sold. His contract is coming up for renewal in 18 months I think and he has hardly played in the last 3 years. Can anyone seriously think he has another contract extension pending?

He's not defensive. Are Busquets and Gerrard too defensive? He's that mould of player - a ball recycler.

Accident prone? Is that in terms of injuries (one was ACL and the other has been a totally unrelated Achilles issue), or him making mistakes (not something I ever recall)? Santi Cazorla has shown you can come out the other end of an incredibly long and painful injury lay-off (Achilles all the same) and still play at a high level. James was touted by many on here as in with a shout for an England cap before he got injured.

Given he's back in training, you'd hope he can get some fitness back in the next 2 months to be in with a shout of the FA Cup third round. Get the lad playing and back in the squad, and that allows you to assess him for 6 month. Then let Mendy go, and you could have a perfect Mendy replacement in terms of depth who probably won't be that desperate to play football every week.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Given he's back in training, you'd hope he can get some fitness back in the next 2 months to be in with a shout of the FA Cup third round. Get the lad playing and back in the squad, and that allows you to assess him for 6 month. Then let Mendy go, and you could have a perfect Mendy replacement in terms of depth who probably won't be that desperate to play football every week.

Brendan has said he wants a tight squad. Mendy and Armartey can't make the bench in a cup match, and I expect them to go in January, at least on loan. If we are lucky, James will play a few U23 matches in December to prep for a loan in January. I can't see him featuring at all for the squad this year. If healthy, he will need game time.

• Like 1

Always liked Matty as a person but never really rated him as a player. Was a good Championship player but never did anything in the Premiere League. Drinkwater was a much better player for us imo. Sad what he has gone through. No player should suffer but the original injury was of his making with a silly challenge. He has surely cost us a lot of money, money that should be reinvested to help pay for a back up left back and new back up striker. Same with Morgan and possibly less so much Fuchs. They are surely on big money after our League win and really aren't good enough now for where we are and where we are going. For me there is sentimental attachment for we have to be realistic. If Vardy is out with an amstring etc for 4-6 weeks I don't see Nacho or Perez filling the void. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

He's not defensive. Are Busquets and Gerrard too defensive? He's that mould of player - a ball recycler.

Accident prone? Is that in terms of injuries (one was ACL and the other has been a totally unrelated Achilles issue), or him making mistakes (not something I ever recall)? Santi Cazorla has shown you can come out the other end of an incredibly long and painful injury lay-off (Achilles all the same) and still play at a high level. James was touted by many on here as in with a shout for an England cap before he got injured.

I never ever want to see him play for us in an easy 3rd round FA Cup game again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The repeated resurrection of Matty James is one of the miracles of modern sports science. With the amount of problems he’s had I’m surprised he can blink his eyes nevermind play football.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

The repeated resurrection of Matty James is one is the miracles of modern sports science. With the amount of problems he’s had I’m surprised he can blink his eyes nevermind play football.

I would imagine James would be eternally grateful to a club that has shown such loyalty to a player who has played such little football.

James makes Andy Carroll look like a paragon of fitness and vitality

• Like 4

On 21/11/2019 at 20:24, UniFox21 said:

Interesting that they've got him coaching, wonder if that where his future lies after playing

Maybe the long term contract was part of the bigger picture, they saw something in his influence in the dressing room and might have seen his potential attributes in coaching.

Saying that, I just realised he's only 28 so not exactly a Wes lol

39 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Maybe the long term contract was part of the bigger picture, they saw something in his influence in the dressing room and might have seen his potential attributes in coaching.

Saying that, I just realised he's only 28 so not exactly a Wes lol

Maybe, he could have a very good footballing brain in terms of tactics. But wouldn't surprise me if that's been identified and they're helping him through. 

• 2 months later...