Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

On 28/08/2019 at 23:21, The whole world smiles said:

He was absolutely not recovering from a long term injury when he got his deal. He had just played 20 odd games for Barnsley playing Tuesday/Saturday every week and being head and shoulders the best player there.

He then had a cracking pre season playing a full 90 on numerous occasions. - City gave him a new deal because he was in the last year of his contract, had proved his fitness and they were in danger of loosing a valuable asset for little or no money there were clubs in for him (Derby if I remember). I don't know why people don't get this? It's really not rocket science. 

There were no favours given, it was a stone cold business decision that at the time was the right one But with hindsight was the wrong the one so far but there are no guarantees in football all the club can do is weigh each decision up on its own merits and the 4 or 5 million his contract will cost the club is a relatively small amount and if by some miracle he does regain and maintain his fitness we could still get a chunk of it back or even turn a profit as he's a quality player. 

Amen. There are normal, sensible people on this forum. Who'd have thought?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, baldeagle said:

And  done nothing but be injured since which still works out an average of 14 games a season over 7 years . Yes he featured heavily the season we go promoted but He  was subbed off  9 times that season so was he even any good . Then the great escape season he was part of a team that was bottom of the table for 3/4 of the season hardly a glowing reference. We then managed to stay up due to a few smart purchases and a system change . He was also out injured so wasn’t part of the great escape.  

Wow our fans are smart eh! Jesus Christ. :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Getting het up over his contract is a bit daft IMO. The club have a duty of care to their players - especially those struggling with injuries and resulting mental health issues. Putting him on a relatively low-paid, long-term contract gives him the security of an income as well as a platform to recover from injuries and to stay around the club environment. He's a useful voice to have in the dressing room especially as he's been here as long as Kasper, Vards and Wes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rodgers was also asked to provide an update on the fitness of midfielder Matty James, who is recovering from surgery on his Achilles and is due for a spell on the sidelines.

The Northern Irishman continued: "He had an operation a few weeks ago so that’s the reason he wasn’t in the squad for this period of the season, but apart from that, everyone is involved and working.

"He’s till a very important member of our squad. He’s got huge talent. He’s just been so, so unfortunate. I really like him a lot, both as a guy and a football player.

"We’re not putting a timeline on it. He’s working tirelessly to get back and we’ll see how it goes over the next few months."

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Rodgers was also asked to provide an update on the fitness of midfielder Matty James, who is recovering from surgery on his Achilles and is due for a spell on the sidelines.

The Northern Irishman continued: "He had an operation a few weeks ago so that’s the reason he wasn’t in the squad for this period of the season, but apart from that, everyone is involved and working.

"He’s till a very important member of our squad. He’s got huge talent. He’s just been so, so unfortunate. I really like him a lot, both as a guy and a football player.

"We’re not putting a timeline on it. He’s working tirelessly to get back and we’ll see how it goes over the next few months."

My liking of Brendan Rodgers increases even more. He seems to know exactly what to say.

It speaks volumes about James and his attitude that every manager that comes in seems to hold him in such a high regard, even with 98% of his time spent on a treatment table. I really hope this is his last big set back and he can go somewhere and get his career back on track. 

I think one of the reasons he likes James is because he is always after a deep lying playmaker with a degree of steel. You saw at Liverpool he took out Lucas Leiva against poorer opposition and stuck Gerrard deep. Same with Scott Brown at Celtic - Callum McGregor played the deeper role at times, I believe.

I think playing Maddison and Tielemans either side of a similarly creative player instead of Wilf/Hamza could help us break down those structured defences. You notice the teams that did well against us at home under Puel tended to have that type of player - classic example was Shelvey at the end of the 17-18 season, was afforded far too much space to control given we were too busy marking their other attacking players, and we were punished. Steven Defour for Burnley was another one.

Dennis Praet could do it, and he had a brief go at St. James' Park - I heard on an Italian podcast after he'd signed that Marco Giampaolo trialled him in that 'regista' role late on last season to good effect.

But James is naturally that sort of player. Drinkwater dropped significantly deeper under Ranieri, but actually the success in 2013-14 was often down to Drinkwater being allowed to get quite close to Nugent and overload the middle, while James sat back and kept it ticking over. 

Rodgers is such a manager that he will focus on playing his style, but will also chop and change to suit the opposition. Bringing in players to perform different 'roles' rather than fill 'positions' is one of his clear strategies, and thanks to that, I think James has a chance here in the second half of the season.

• Like 3

He looks a lot trimmer this year, perhaps we could get a few good seasons out of him yet. Hopefully he will be ready for a cup game soon? I do like him, he's a good honest player, its such a shame he has suffered through injury. It speaks volumes that the club keeps offering him new contracts even when hes injured. 

46 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It speaks volumes about James and his attitude that every manager that comes in seems to hold him in such a high regard, even with 98% of his time spent on a treatment table. I really hope this is his last big set back and he can go somewhere and get his career back on track. 

They're hardly going to say that he's a parasitic twat who deserves to be injured, are they?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

My liking of Brendan Rodgers increases even more. He seems to know exactly what to say.

The one main worry I had about him when we were initially linked was that he was a right David Brent.

Seems to have calmed down loads, doesn't try and be everyone's mate and his media presence is perfect IMO. Good face of the club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

They're hardly going to say that he's a parasitic twat who deserves to be injured, are they?

When fit he started for both Shakespeare and Puel. Look at the difference in how Brendan spoke about Armartey? Nothing about his talent or being a big part of the squad, just health updates. Theres no need for him to go overboard talking about his `huge talent' is there? Is he just being nice, perhaps... but Ive always heard great things about him that go beyond just being respectful. 

3 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Even when funny fit he wasn't THAT good. I feel bad for him regarding his playing career but he was fortunate to get that 4 year contract when he did.

He wouldn't make our match day squad now despite when Brendan has said.

Agreed with everything you’ve said apart from this. He was extremely talented and could’ve gone on to do big things in my opinion. Injuries have just completely wrecked his career. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Brendan talks about him here, about half way through. 

Seems like he really rates him.

Most of our managers have but  unfortunately the guy just can’t stay fit and I’m not sure his body would cope with the intensity in which Rogers likes  to play . Plus we’ve moved on massively . Would you put him in front of any of our other midfielders ?

• Like 1