Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

Jesus. Poor guy. At this point I'm sure he is gutted. Any professional just wants to play. But his body isn't coping. Such a bitter pill for him

If I were him, with the greatest respect, I'd be starting to plan my life after football because while his mind might be fit, his body is not. 

• Like 1

He was a big piece of the jigsaw that saw us promoted and it pretty sure he was integral to the great escape before the soton game.

thereafter he has contributed little on the field but plenty off it

had he been at a different club then his future would be a lot less secure than it is going to be ...... whilst it is sad to see a pro go through this, it happens a lot more than we realise and Metty has been fortunate that he was at Lcfc and not somewhere else where his career would have probably, in effect ended a few years ago. 

7 hours ago, Nod.E said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ben-chilwell-wilfred-ndidi-latest-3254903

"Sidelined indefinitely" :(

Do feel for him. He was always better than Drinkwater. Could have been as big for us in the title win and now as Vardy was and continues to be.

I mean that in the sense of integrity to the team and legend status more than anything else. Strikers always take more plaudits than those around them.

Must hurt to know you could have been a hallmark player in a historic era for a club but injuries stopped you.

I know he's on a lot of money but in terms of career achievements, job satisfaction and future prospects, it's a sickening state of affairs for him. Always thought he came across as particularly likeable and down to earth for a footballer as well.

Always better than Drinkwater? Hahahahaaaa 

Drinkwater was voted in the top 3 players in the Championship the year we won it, he ran the show. The first season back in the Prem he struggled big time and James faired a little better although in terms of contribution to the great escape James got injured part way through it. Never really been the same again since, even in 2017/18 I thought he was a shadow of his former self. 

It's sad to see, I hope we get him involved in coaching. That 4 year deal was beggars belief though.

• Like 4

James is the luckiest unlucky player in the world.

Imagine the frustration of having injury after injury and then imagine having a club stupid enough to put you on an extended new contract anyway.

I can't bring myself to feel sympathy for someone being so well paid to not do their job.

Edited by murphy
  • Sad 1

I just think that some people rate him far higher as a player than what he actually was. Firstly Drinkwater was the main man in the Championship. Secondly in the great escape where people think he played so well, he only started 4 matches. One of them he got subbed off after 60 mins and was then dropped for next two. 

In his 4th start he then got injured after 13 mins. 

Andy King has done far more for this club than him and I completely understood rewarding him with his contract. James just wasn’t in that category though for me. 

However, it’s the clubs money and not mine so I’m happy for them to spend the money as they see fit and for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Viva said:

I just think that some people rate him far higher as a player than what he actually was. Firstly Drinkwater was the main man in the Championship. Secondly in the great escape where people think he played so well, he only started 4 matches. One of them he got subbed off after 60 mins and was then dropped for next two. 

In his 4th start he then got injured after 13 mins. 

Andy King has done far more for this club than him and I completely understood rewarding him with his contract. James just wasn’t in that category though for me. 

However, it’s the clubs money and not mine so I’m happy for them to spend the money as they see fit and for whatever reason. 

That sums up my take on it all. Never really shared other fans love of him as a player.

46 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

I don't understand your stance on this at all. The guy did a service for us and helped us to get promoted, he also played a big part in keeping us up. I know from well known sources that he he is a great guy on the training ground, always helping to raise morale and keep things ticking over. He does a lot of coaching and mentoring for the younger players too. 

Our chairman believes in honouring those who have given service and as a club we have offered Matty a helping hand in some pretty terrible circumstances for the lad. Other players see the security you have here and opt to choose us over other clubs because they know that working for Top and bless him Vichai, gives you a respect and a blessing you wouldn't get at any other club. 

If it helps us to attract players, creates better morale at the camp and he's offering alternative services to playing. I really don't see the problem. Same with Kingy (who I believe is doing his badges in order to play a coaching role here when he retires) 

Everyone will have had sympathy for him initially and for a fair period after but he won't play for us this season in all likelihood and that'll make it 5 seasons with only something like a dozen appearances made, during which time he will have made millions. Earning 5-6m over the past 3 or 4 years  for being 'a great guy on the training ground' is not gonna get much sympathy from the fans. At this point he just looks like a charity case or a freeloader.

Yes it's unfortunate what happened to him but as mentioned above he's also been incredibly fortunate from a financial pov to get such a long contract (down to idiocy by Shakespeare and Rudkin, not extreme loyalty and benevolence from the owners as you claim) although from an actual playing point of view he'd have been better off not signing it and dropping down to a level of football his body could cope with. Money talks though and is the main reason why he will limp on here til the end of that ludicrous contract. 

29 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Sigh. You're letting Drinkwater's Premier League winning season cloud your judgement. As ridiculous as that might sound, you have to remember he was playing next to Kante. 

According to WhoScored player ratings:

13/14:

MJ - 7.17

DD - 7.16

14/15:

MJ - 6.87

DD - 6.7

In 14/15 Drinkwater started 16 games to James' 20, so a certain Nigel Pearson seems to agree with both me, and the historic ratings of fans.

Drinkwater also only posted a 6.78 rating in 16/17, a score that Matty James never went as low as before injuries.

James would have started alongside Kante in 15/16 and if he stayed at the club, would continue to be in the starting 11 to this date. He'd be held in the same regard as Albrighton and Morgan as lasting components of our greatest ever team.

Short memories.

So based on playing 20 average games in 2014/15 (which suggests he wasn’t good enough to hold his spot in the team), you can just assume he would be a regular in the team for years to come and a great?

Who was in the Championship team of the year and top 3 at the end of the season in 2013/14? Not James. On all known form, he was a decent Championship level player. 

• Like 1

Comparing James with Drinkwater is a fruitless thing to do, especially given that Drinkwater had his best period when alongside Kante.  Something that has to be taken into consideration is that they were both developing players. Drinkwater's progression was allowed to come to fruition, whereas we will never know what heights James may or may not have reached.

I agree with the plus points of rewarding loyalty, even if it seems on the generous side. Those that say he hasn't earned it should pay heed to his value in the changing room and on the training pitch, as well as other off-pitch contributions of which we are not aware.   Our team morale has been a hugely important factor in the club's recent achievements and James continues to play a big part in this.

The value of his still being involved around the playing staff is clearly recognised and appreciated by our owners, and they see fit to reward him according to the value they put on it.  They are business men and it is their money and their judgement.  I am happy to put my trust in that.

Edited by deep blue
  • Like 4

James was rewarded with a new contract for being by far our best player in the first 4 games of the 2017-18 season. Granted it was probably a bit early given his injury issues, but he'd just come back from playing 18 games at Barnsley in the second half of the season, so the medical staff were probably happy his issues were well behind him.

When he came back around the new year, it's telling that Puel rated him over both three-time Europa League winner Iborra and European champion Silva.

It's also interesting that Rodgers says James is a perfect fit for the way his team wants to play, but is just unlucky with injuries. He's only seen the player train for a fortnight at the start of pre-season, and his quality is still clear to see.

He was an underrated cog in the team that got promoted, and then adjusted significantly better to the demands of the Premier League than Drinkwater and King did.

And for the record, his contract is to 2021, not 2022 as this forum seems to think. A four year deal for a 26 year old is pretty common for us (Ward, Perez, Ghezzal).

• Like 3

Kante carried Deinkwater. On his own talent Drinkwater is not a top 10 PL player but he lucked out and got his move. Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, Schmeichel etc all have far superior talent than Drinkwater. It's not unreasonable to suggest James could have taken DD spot in 15/16 and we would still won the title.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Viva said:

So based on playing 20 average games in 2014/15 (which suggests he wasn’t good enough to hold his spot in the team), you can just assume he would be a regular in the team for years to come and a great?

Who was in the Championship team of the year and top 3 at the end of the season in 2013/14? Not James. On all known form, he was a decent Championship level player. 

I place more trust in my observations, the observations of other fans at the time, and Nigel Pearson's selection than I do a team of the season, yes. Teams of seasons are skewed by things like goal contributions which is a bigger part of Drinkwater's game.

If Drinkwater was good enough, then James was. Drinkwater would still be in our team today as well if Chelsea hadn't have bought him.

As we've identified that James was better than Drinkwater then yes we can assume, based on his continued presence in a Premier League winning team, he would have been a great.

Look, none of this is a certainty either way. You never know how form might dip, but you have to at least admit that without injuries there is every chance he would have become a great. He'll be gutted.

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Sigh. You're letting Drinkwater's Premier League winning season cloud your judgement. As ridiculous as that might sound, you have to remember he was playing next to Kante. 

According to WhoScored player ratings:

13/14:

MJ - 7.17

DD - 7.16

14/15:

MJ - 6.87

DD - 6.7

In 14/15 Drinkwater started 16 games to James' 20, so a certain Nigel Pearson seems to agree with both me, and the historic ratings of fans.

Drinkwater also only posted a 6.78 rating in 16/17, a score that Matty James never went as low as before injuries.

James would have started alongside Kante in 15/16 and if he stayed at the club, would continue to be in the starting 11 to this date. He'd be held in the same regard as Albrighton and Morgan as lasting components of our greatest ever team.

Short memories.

I'm not, I said Drinkwater struggled in 14/15 in which James faired a little better than him. However, I hugely disagree with James being anywhere near the level Drinkwater was in 2013/14. Drinkwater's goals, assists and running of our midfield the season we won it put him in the top 3 players in the league. So much so he was voted in the top 3 with Danny Ings and Ross McCormack. He was also in the team of the season with Schmeichel and Morgan. All seems quite surprising for a player who has never been as good as Matty James at Leicester.

27 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I place more trust in my observations, the observations of other fans at the time, and Nigel Pearson's selection than I do a team of the season, yes. Teams of seasons are skewed by things like goal contributions which is a bigger part of Drinkwater's game.

If Drinkwater was good enough, then James was. Drinkwater would still be in our team today as well if Chelsea hadn't have bought him.

As we've identified that James was better than Drinkwater then yes we can assume, based on his continued presence in a Premier League winning team, he would have been a great.

Look, none of this is a certainty either way. You never know how form might dip, but you have to at least admit that without injuries there is every chance he would have become a great. He'll be gutted.

Yet you made the statement that Matty James has always been superior to Drinkwater at Leicester but dismiss accolades which suggest that is wildly inaccurate? Decadent.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Kante carried Deinkwater. On his own talent Drinkwater is not a top 10 PL player but he lucked out and got his move. Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, Schmeichel etc all have far superior talent than Drinkwater. It's not unreasonable to suggest James could have taken DD spot in 15/16 and we would still won the title.

Absolutely zero chance we win the league with a midfield two of Kante and James.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Absolutely zero chance we win the league with a midfield two of Kante and James.

Disagree.

Drinkwater doesnt even make top 5 most important players that season. Vardy, Kante, Mahrez, Schmeichel, Okazaki & Huth all more important. Drinkwster was just a cog in that side, carried by Kante. As shown by the state he's currently in, he was never all that. He wouldnt make our team now whereas all the above mentioned would walk into our team and stay there bar Huth/Shinji due to old age. 

James and Drinkwater were about the same level in terms of talent. One got lucky and the other got unlucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not, I said Drinkwater struggled in 14/15 in which James faired a little better than him. However, I hugely disagree with James being anywhere near the level Drinkwater was in 2013/14. Drinkwater's goals, assists and running of our midfield the season we won it put him in the top 3 players in the league. So much so he was voted in the top 3 with Danny Ings and Ross McCormack. He was also in the team of the season with Schmeichel and Morgan. All seems quite surprising for a player who has never been as good as Matty James at Leicester.

That's like saying you think Lloyd Dyer is a better player than Mahrez because Dyer tore the Championship up.

Regardless, a team of the season selection isn't enough for me to believe Drinkwater was better anyway. 

Sure, he scored more. At the time I believe James contributed more and that's my opinion today, too.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Thanks 1