Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

41 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Rodgers in post match interview on RL yesterday said he’s had a slight recurrence of an injury and out for 10-14 days. Said it was a shame as he’d trained very well. 

Thanks Nick, it is a shame I'm a big fan of his and hope there is a place for him but realistically I feel that is dwindling the longer he's out.

Hope he does make a full recovery to assist LCFC in some capacity and/or gets a move to continue his career, the lads been through the ringer and just needs something to fall his way.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 02:14, inckley fox said:

I don't think you can put James' contract extension on the same scale as splashing 29m on Slimani, or any of those other signings.

Back in 2014/15, he was rightly first choice at the beginning of the Great Escape, and had been on a par with Drinkwater over the past couple of seasons. When we gave him the extension I believe we'd not long seen him come back from injury, impress on loan at the end of one season, and boss the midfield against Chelsea (is that right? or Everton? can't remember!) half-way through the next.

So the club were probably realistic about it. They knew, as we did, that back at the time of his 2015 injury he was little more than a work in progress, knew that he'd probably never be able to pick up where he left off, but I suspect they saw two advantages: First, that they were sending out a message to players who might see us as a stepping stone that, while we might not be able to compete with the riches of the Big 6, we could treat our players a whole lot better. Second, that a questionable post-Drinkwater/pre-Tielemans midfield which needed significant investment could add strength in depth on the cheap if James continued his recovery. It was a gamble, a fairly cheap one, and it didn't work out.

It's nice, though, to see so many positive things being said about him on here. It's only fair to remember that he looked like a decent, if unspectacular, PL-level centre mid four years ago, and his downfall was down to a spectacular run of foul luck, rather than his own disposition or lack of ability. It's a lot of money in wages, by my standards, for very little return, but it's good to support a club which, from time to time, tries to do the right thing.

And I don't know who the little French winger is either! DIabate?

All you say is bang on.

However, it doesn't hide the fact that dishing out a four year contract to him was an act of extraordinary largesse. 

We could've easily stuck by him by letting his contract run down but allowing him to train, rehab and be treated as a fjrst team squad player on a pay as you play deal (presumably with a very modest basic wage)

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to pick up a huge wage for nigh on 5 years for doing nothing other than train and sit on the physio table. I'd genuinely turn down a contract offer til I had something to give back

• Like 1

Really feel for the lad, he's been terribly unlucky with injuries and without knowing the extent of the latest, it's surely only a matter of time before he can't possibly consider carrying on. 

I hope we encourage him to undertake some sort of coaching role. 

2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Who is injured?  Do you have a link ?  I can’t use twitter on my phone as forgot password and Ita too nice weather to go inside to pc. ?

Mostly related to the Cambridge friendly but talks about Matty which is why I put it in this thread: 

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1291015/city-creating-a-winning-mentality-says-rodgers

City Creating A Winning Mentality, Says Rodgers

Published 3 hrs 46 mins ago

- A winning mentality is currently being crafted by Leicester City’s players in pre-season, according to Brendan Rodgers
- City have this summer beaten Scunthorpe United and Cheltenham Town, and next face Cambridge United
- Rodgers discussed the fitness of Ayoze Pérez, Ben Chilwell, Kasper Schmeichel and Matty James after the win in Gloucestershire

The Foxes head into the clash at Abbey Stadium, which will be broadcast live on LCFC TV, having emerged victorious in both of their pre-season outings this summer.

Regardless of opposition, Rodgers wants his side to tackle every pre-season game with the aim to win, as his stars continue to notch up valuable minutes.

“There’s a growing mentality in the squad,” said Rodgers after Saturday’s triumph. “We’ve spoken about pre-season games, no matter who you play, you want to win, as well as gaining fitness. That’s what the players have done.

“The priority was developing our football fitness and not having injuries, and we’ve done that. We’re creating a mindset within the squad to be focused and be hungry to improve and to win.

Brendan Rodgers

The Foxes manager oversees the warm-up at Cheltenham last week.

“We’ve got a lot of really talented players, but it’s no good having talent. You have to be able to be a working talent. At this point, it’s about creating that mentality to work and to win.”

After Saturday’s game, Rodgers provided a fitness update on a number of the Club’s stars, including Ayoze Pérez, who missed the weekend’s triumph with an ankle complaint.

“He should be fine next week, it was just that he took a knock in training which meant his ankle swelled up,” Rodgers said of the Spaniard. “We’re hopeful next week that he’ll be back.

[Ayoze Pérez] should be fine next week, it was just that he took a knock in training which meant his ankle swelled up

Brendan Rodgers LCFC TV

Ben [Chilwell] had a slight issue with his groin but he’s fine now, he’s okay for Tuesday and he’s back in training.

Kasper [Schmeichel] just needs a bit of time so we’re building him up, so he’ll feature over the course of the next week.

Matty [James], unfortunately, had a little reoccurrence of an injury, but it should only be 10 days to two weeks before he’s back, which is a shame because he’s worked ever so hard in pre-season.”

Tuesday's fixture against Cambridge United will be broadcast live and free on LCFC TV from 7pm BST.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Matty [James], unfortunately, had a little reoccurrence of an injury, but it should only be 10 days to two weeks before he’s back, which is a shame because he’s worked ever so hard in pre-season.”

Injured again - and you got to' feel sorry for the fella'. Forget how much he may earn - he pretty much sat the whole of THAT SEASON on the sidelines and watched from afar.

As fans it were great - obviously.  As a pro sportsman however injury must suck and be hard enough mentally to get through. But to have to watch a team you'd been apart of and integral too, then go on to achieve the success they did must be hard.  

I was really hoping he'd revive his career if not with us then elsewhere. He's 28 now so he'll be desperate for his body to hold together this season. I hope it does. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Claudiofox said:

Slightly overweight and never recovered from that horrific break, not sure why he is still here he needs to drop down a couple of levels 

He is on a very good contract here, so nobody else would pay even close to his wages. 

• Like 1

there's other examples but I guess our owners think James has played a big enough part for this club when he was fit, prior to injury; so they would probably want to make sure he's reasonably well looked after. he did potentially finish his career getting injured at the club. 

seems like the kind of thing we'd do rather than just binning him off onto the rubbish heap

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

there's other examples but I guess our owners think James has played a big enough part for this club when he was fit, prior to injury; so they would probably want to make sure he's reasonably well looked after. he did potentially finish his career getting injured at the club. 

seems like the kind of thing we'd do rather than just binning him off onto the rubbish heap

Surely the fact that he's still here has less to do with the fact that the club are so kind and generous that they feel that 40k a week for 4 years is just reward for doing a reasonable job in midfield for us for 2 seasons, and more to do with the fact that, at this point, absolutely no one else will take him and we're legally stuck with him till that foolish contract runs out. I'm sure in reality they'd be quite happy to end the contract but they're simply unable to. 

Edited by Gubbins
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ithuriel said:

To be fair, when he went down towards the end of our first season back and was stretchered off, I never thought he would make a come back.

Got to give him credit for not giving up

I don’t think many people would give up the chance to earn millions of pounds by following a recovery and training plan. So I can’t give him too much credit as most people in his position would keep going rather than doing a normal job like the rest of us. 

Edited by Viva
  • Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ben-chilwell-wilfred-ndidi-latest-3254903

"Sidelined indefinitely" :(

Do feel for him. He was always better than Drinkwater. Could have been as big for us in the title win and now as Vardy was and continues to be.

I mean that in the sense of integrity to the team and legend status more than anything else. Strikers always take more plaudits than those around them.

Must hurt to know you could have been a hallmark player in a historic era for a club but injuries stopped you.

I know he's on a lot of money but in terms of career achievements, job satisfaction and future prospects, it's a sickening state of affairs for him. Always thought he came across as particularly likeable and down to earth for a footballer as well.

• Like 2