Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Morgan Sanson

People were convinced Perez at £30m wouldn’t start every week until Tuesday night. It’s feasible a midfielder like Sanson could play, with Maddison moved out wide on occasion as last year, although he’s much better in midfield. If anyone loses form, or injured, having quality options to come in is no bad thing. Quality competition keeps everyone on their toes

52 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wasn't this guy highly linked with Wolves? They were prepared to break their club record for him or something?

I've heard good things about him, though I wonder if whoever comes in is happy to be a squad player rather than first team? I will say though that the recent friendly made it understandable why Rodgers wanted another number 8. In the first half the crisp passing was being led by the Mendy / Tielemans / Leshabela trio. In the second half, the passing was slower and it slowed the whole team back down to Puel pace. We will start with Tielemans and Maddison, but having someone who can step in during the season to help out / rotate would clearly have value. 

Totally agree with this. Cant make too many assumptions after only 1 pre season game but most of the players in that 2nd half won't feature much this season imo. Maguire if he stays and Justin are the only ones likely to play much this season and possibly Leshabela as he looked decent. Shame he went off injured. Can definitely see why BR wants 1 or 2 more signings. Our starting 11 as it stands is excellent but our squad depth not so much. 

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

Will someone like that join and risk being on the bench? The club would have to sell the long term plan of competing on all fronts/European competition and rotating similar players to snag another finished article. If they can, the price and wage isn’t an issue at all. 

We're not going to sign someone to sit on the bench, half of last season Maddison needed a kick up the arse I think with all the hype over the summer alot of us have forgot how bad he was at times. I'm delighted Rodgers is looking for an alternative.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

We're not going to sign someone to sit on the bench, half of last season Maddison needed a kick up the arse I think with all the hype over the summer alot of us have forgot how bad he was at times. I'm delighted Rodgers is looking for an alternative.

Likewise 

Edited by LinekersApples
But... if he does step up and new player only gets last 30 for a while... win/win

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

The manager will make that call, I'm sure he's perhaps looking at it and with one injury you're forced to play someone out of position or change your entire formation. With the wingers, and Perez playing wider then if means there as plenty of options out there... if a few question marks. 

The more I think about it, the more I think we will play a slightly narrower style of play from our attacking midfielders. We have two hugely gifted full backs as well as players like Perez and Barnes who can and will give us width if needs be too. A lot of the top sides are not stacking their team with traditional wingers anymore and I am 100% behind the desire to get another attacking midfielder in. I think we would get a fast and direct winger if we move on Gray or Ghezzal but it seems to be less of a priority. Barnes is our game changer in many ways next season.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Teams had worked out that Maddison was our only creative outlet in that 10 role with the double pivot. It wasn’t that Maddison needed a kick up the arse, he needed support, which is why YT was bought in.

• Like 4

I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Montpellier after they won Ligue 1. I watched Sanson whilst he broke through there & followed him since... the lad is one serious talent & would improve our squad massively. Technically gifted on the ball. Very similar to YT.

47 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

Very good player.

Fits the bill as much as that other Praet.

Will someone like that join and risk being on the bench? The club would have to sell the long term plan of competing on all fronts/European competition and rotating similar players to snag another finished article. If they can, the price and wage isn’t an issue at all. 

With the position OM are in I wouldn’t be surprised if they force him out with the fee being quoted.

If they do spend on Samson though, I could imagine @LinekersApples Quotes about Townsend could be pretty legit as it’s a cheaper alternative if big money is being spent on a number 8.

Edited by Bluearmyfox28
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

... just from viewing this clip, I was thinking this was what Maddison was meant to be doing! 

I know it was his first season in the league, but going by his "Yellow" video he appeared to be not too short of world class.

There seems to be something missing, not sure if it is lack of pace or thought, but through out the season, he failed to exploit opportunities by either delaying the pass, not seeing the pass or being caught in possession. I know there are stats out there extolling his contribution to the team which are said to be the best in Europe, but viewing with your eyes it bears little correlation. 

Every time you watch his "back-foot turn" it oozes class and you feel like there is nothing he can not do...... but then....! 

Back to this guy, I think that he has what we are looking for, composure, intelligence and the ability to finish. 

I think if Tielemans was not an option Rodgers would be looking to bring CM from Celtic, he can't now be guaranteed time on the pitch but he would have been a good fit. 

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... just from viewing this clip, I was thinking this was what Maddison was meant to be doing! 

I know it was his first season in the league, but going by his "Yellow" video he appeared to be not too short of world class.

There seems to be something missing, not sure if it is lack of pace or thought, but through out the season, he failed to exploit opportunities by either delaying the pass, not seeing the pass or being caught in possession. I know there are stats out there extolling his contribution to the team which are said to be the best in Europe, but viewing with your eyes it bears little correlation. 

Every time you watch his "back-foot turn" it oozes class and you feel like there is nothing he can not do...... but then....! 

Back to this guy, I think that he has what we are looking for, composure, intelligence and the ability to finish. 

I think if Tielemans was not an option Rodgers would be looking to bring CM from Celtic, he can't now be guaranteed time on the pitch but he would have been a good fit. 

Maddison under Rodgers was a different beast to Maddison under Puel. He was arguably our best player in those final dozen or so games, including Tielemans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maddison under Rodgers was a different beast to Maddison under Puel. He was arguably our best player in those final dozen or so games, including Tielemans.

Maybe you'd make that argument, but I sure wouldn't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Maybe you'd make that argument, but I sure wouldn't.

I could provide a load of stats but I know how dismissive many are of Maddison when it comes to number crunching. I am to a certain extent but in terms of fan viewing I much preferred his dual 8 role with Tielemans under Rodgers than him playing as a 10 under Puel where for a few months spell he was largely average. I feared under Rodgers he wouldn't be aggressive and fast enough and would want too much time on the ball to slow things down, but he actually met what was asked of him surprisingly well. I think next season should see an even better year. 7 goals and 7 assists when he was muck from October to December and then January to March, if he can maintain consistency then he will be a sensation for us. So much ability running through this team now and Tielemans must be a gift to play alongside, still astonished we've got him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I could provide a load of stats but I know how dismissive many are of Maddison when it comes to number crunching. I am to a certain extent but in terms of fan viewing I much preferred his dual 8 role with Tielemans under Rodgers than him playing as a 10 under Puel where for a few months spell he was largely average. I feared under Rodgers he wouldn't be aggressive and fast enough and would want too much time on the ball to slow things down, but he actually met what was asked of him surprisingly well. I think next season should see an even better year. 7 goals and 7 assists when he was muck from October to December and then January to March, if he can maintain consistency then he will be a sensation for us. So much ability running through this team now and Tielemans must be a gift to play alongside, still astonished we've got him.

There’s areas of Maddison’s game that some on here simply can’t see too. A short example is the amount of times we’ve been massively under pressure defensively, Madders has got the ball, forced the opposition to take him down with his first touch which results in us getting a free kick. The team then reset & recover. Small things like this are crucial but hardly noticed.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Exactly.

Under Puel Maddison was the creative force of the side, so teams could easily freeze him out of the game (he's not quite at Mahrez's level where he could make something happen regardless). To make it even harder for him, he had the ultra-defensive CDM duo of Ndidi/Mendy behind him, so he's not getting the right kind of service. And to top it off, its his first season in the PL.

With Tielemans alongside him the shackles are lifted somewhat and he has more time to dictate the play, and he's seemed much more influential since Rodgers came in. He's taken remarkably well to Rodgers' pressing style and he genuinely seemed much less lightweight than he had done earlier in the year, getting stuck in more often where he otherwise shied away. 

Perez is well known for making intelligent runs and linking with the midfield so thats yet another outlet for Maddison to make use of, and I'm excited to see how it pans out. If he can get off to a good start and stay consistent, he's capable of potentially getting into double figures for both goals and assists next season, which would be hugely impressive.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

There’s areas of Maddison’s game that some on here simply can’t see too. A short example is the amount of times we’ve been massively under pressure defensively, Madders has got the ball, forced the opposition to take him down with his first touch which results in us getting a free kick. The team then reset & recover. Small things like this are crucial but hardly noticed.

....yes Maddison goes down a lot, under very little if any pressure!!

We castigate Dele Ali for the same and I wish Madders would take this aspect out of his game. This is not a let's bash Madders session just purely an observation.

Could potentially line up in midfield with

N didi

tielmans sansom

perez Maddison (both free roles) 

Vardy

not playing with actual wingers although Perez Maddison would filter to there when we don’t have the ball to form 4-5-1 defending? 

Barnes/Gray/albrighton on the bench to provide width if needed? 

Also can see albrighton and one of gray/Barnes starting against the top teams for a more rigid shape for defending purposes?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....yes Maddison goes down a lot, under very little if any pressure!!

We castigate Dele Ali for the same and I wish Madders would take this aspect out of his game. This is not a let's bash Madders session just purely an observation.

Hell no.. Madders eases the pressure when we need it most, and allows us to get on the front foot... he gets fouled so much, you can hardly blame him when he anticipates contact on the few occasions there isn't any.