Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Bookies don't fancy us for a Euro Spot.

21 hours ago, MattP said:

On what logic are you thinking that Spurs will finish below Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd? 

They haven't lost anyone and have added a player. The others have lost players (Chelsea a World Class one) and have barely strengthened. 

Thier time has passed , I feel they will decline now , Bruno might paper over the cracks , but I think the manager is eyeing up Madrid and the team will be unsettled by that I expect them to have an average year , ok manure is the one I was basing on getting a few more in but they haven’t so the will drop down my thinking , but spurs will also struggle this year 

On 31/07/2019 at 15:01, MattP said:

On what logic are you thinking that Spurs will finish below Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd? 

They haven't lost anyone and have added a player. The others have lost players (Chelsea a World Class one) and have barely strengthened. 

you mean apart from Trippier going to Madrid ...

I'm no bookie, but the title is between scousers and man  city.

spurs have lost trippier (not that he was that great last season).

chelsea still have the manager problem (they're a great squad in search of a great manager), and have lost a world class player in hazard.

i reckon those two teams are about equal.

the arse are still transitioning.

man utd have made a big mistake with  ole, i think he'll be out by xmas.

i  think  us, wolves, everton, and maybe west ham or watford, have a real chance of getting amongst the top six, and annoying the pundits.

apart from positions 1-3 i  think the rest is up  for grabs this season.

Edited by Swiss_tony

Top two same as last season. Spurs will be 3rd or 4th and the other place between the same three as last season.Chelsea have a very good squad. Arsenal's signing of Pepe is a big deal and really strenghtens them, Man Utd have spent 150 million so far, more likely to follow, and have just bought one of the best central defenders in the league and in so doing have weakened us considerably.

Same top 6 as last season for me.

Guest MattP

No idea why anyone thinks they would, on paper we aren't as good as the team we had at the end of last season.

Who knows though? Continuity can be a good thing but I can't see any logical reason for us to finish in the top six.

I believe,we are a better team as last year,on paper and actual!!

Maguire away is only one position...but even with our other positional/experience improvements like the other also rans...Top 6 have also

had their changes..

So like you I see no reason to have more than fleeting ambition to compete for

Top 6,but no expectation..

I just want to see improved around the park performances,..a character and ethos that entertains the terraces..

I am more interested to see Tielemans & Maddison (also maybe Praet), show us what they have to offer! They excite me!!

Unless I am missing something, I cannot see Chelsea or Manchester United being able to challenge for the top 4 or even having a comfortable top 6 finish. Depending on how Wolves deal with Europa, them, us, and West Ham all have a shot at 5th.

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

Our defence is average at best, I just can't see a Europe spot, let alone 5th.

What team outside the top 3 (Liverpool, Spurs, Man City) doesn't have some averageness in their team?

Edited by FireFox

2 minutes ago, FireFox said:

What team outside the top 3 (Liverpool, Spurs, Man City) doesn't have some averageness in their team?

They do but not as much as us.  Guess we'll see, I'll take a bet with you that we won't finish top 6....and hope I lose.:)

15 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

That's a bit of an overreaction imo. In terms of goals conceded we had the 7th best defence in the league last season. Under Rodgers, it was the 4th best. 

Yes Maguire is a loss, but Soyuncu is capable and should get better with time. 

Edited by Poznan34

13 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Chilwell, Ricky P and Evans haven't exactly been average at best? we haven't seen Benkovic kick a ball yet but everyone at Celtic loved him. Soyuncu looks to gain confidence with every game.

The only player last season in that defence who was bang average was Maguire, in fact he was absolute pony. We played better without him and thats backed up with the stats. lets for gods sake 

see what Soyuncu and Benkovic can do because that's who were getting like it or not.    

19 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Shows you the game is about opinions! Now the window has closed I think we are in a very good position. I was fearful that either Everton or Wolves would make some killer signings to push us out but I don’t think that has happened.

Everton signed Kean who could be great but they lost Zouma and Gueye. And if they sign Iwobi, well he’s no Zaha, Neres or Malcom who they were previously linked with. 

Wolves I’m almost shocked by the lack of signings. Still a very good team but with those additional European games they will inevitably drop points. 

West Ham on paper did sign well but they always seem to self destruct so I don’t see them grabbing Europe. 

So with all that, I believe 7th is very achievable. Chelsea look very short of players and Man United also poor even if they fixed their defence and hurt ours. Only time will tell how they fare but both look vulnerable to me. So I think even 6th could be taken with a very good season. 

Arsenal I think had a great window. Still have problems but Tierney, Pepe and Ceballos I think are great deals. David Luiz is well David Luiz but I’d say he is an improvement over what they have. 

As for Leicester I whilst we lost Maguire we kept Youri, signed his mate and in Perez might have one of the most underrated signings of the summer. Not glamorous and seems expensive, but he already seems to fit the team well and can finish. 

Of course we will see what happens but I think our team and squad is far better than 12 months ago. 

17 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Top 6, swap these around as you choose:

Man City

Liverpool

Arsenal

Spurs

Then two of the following;

Leicester City

Manchester United

Watford

Wolves

Everton

You don't think Chelsea will even be in the equation of 4-6?

7 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

Nope, transfer ban, not necessarily a happy camp and an inexperienced manager. I think they’ll be in the top ten but not too 6. You?

The optimist in me says that all those things you say give us a chance to potentially overtake them this year and you could be right! the pessimist in me says that the gap is so big that even with those factors, they still are favourites to finish 4-6 above us!

I do think that this season has the most uncertainty in terms of those places than for a long time.  Really hope we are part of the equation by the end of the season! 

Whilst I am a little optimistic that the transfer ban, plus a manager with only Championship experience and losing a couple of big players, will all have an effect in varying degrees, Chelsea should be strong enough for Top 6. Just may be a tough couple of months ahead for them.

Think Arsenal are the ones to potentially try to catch, maybe even Manchester United. It's going to be a case of pushing them all the way whilst keeping Everton, Wolves, West Ham and Watford at bay. If our young squad can hit the ground running despite today's somewhat-blunt showing, we have a very good chance of breaking the Top 6.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/07/2019 at 23:01, MattP said:

We are LCFC , logic is something applied to ordinary clubs 

we are not Ordinary we are an exceptional club 

C30E3C88-D989-4283-B5E7-9CB91CE1A1B3.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I mean, we're one point above 14th but OK. 

Exactly.

Talking about league table positions after only 3 games is a waste of time. 

• Like 4