Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

CB Targets : Who would YOU choose?

If Harry does leave - who should we replace him with?  

427 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one of the following, or suggest alternative

• Nathan Ake
    • James Tarkowski
    • Lewis Dunk
    • Jamaal Lascelles
    • Jonathan Tah
    • Çağlar Söyüncü
    • Filip Benković
    • No-one
    • Someone else - please specify

3 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

If £60 million would get Zaha, I would use the money from the Maguire sale on him, then offer Bournmouth Gray +£20 million for Ake. Selling either Mendy or Silva, plus Slimani, Diabate, Ghazzel, King and James would more than cover the £20 mil.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think Mendy's the only one who would fetch a half-decent fee out of all those.

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think Mendy's the only one who would fetch a half-decent fee out of all those.

I would still run with Zaha and Ake  even if we didn't get £20 million for those named above. For that money I think we would be a real attacking force without being any weaker in defence.

Edited by MGLCFC

No chance Zaha comes to us. He's had his agent and the press in his ear telling him Champions League. Plus, Palace want stupid money for him because he is invaluable to their team. I think Palace shouldn't let him go for anything less than £60 million, possibly even £65 million because he is the difference between staying up and relegation.

If we sell Maguire then go after players without prior contact, everyone puts their prices up because we'll have just got a phenomenal amount of money. At best we'll get one good defender in the time left of the window. 

5 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

No chance Zaha comes to us. He's had his agent and the press in his ear telling him Champions League. Plus, Palace want stupid money for him because he is invaluable to their team. I think Palace shouldn't let him go for anything less than £60 million, possibly even £65 million because he is the difference between staying up and relegation.

If we sell Maguire then go after players without prior contact, everyone puts their prices up because we'll have just got a phenomenal amount of money. At best we'll get one good defender in the time left of the window. 

So no chance him going to Everton I presume. If Everton can attract him, surely we can. I take your point though, I don't think he would come to us or Everton as he probably sees this as his last big move and will want European football on a regular basis.

Edited by MGLCFC

If Harry goes I'd be in favour of sticking with Soyuncu and Benkovic until January.

Someone mentioned Vardy getting stick when he didn't make an immediate impact and how he turned it around. The same could apply with the 2 we have.

We have better attacking options which we were crying out for. It could keep us ticking over until the next transfer window.

Soyuncu could grow into a decent player for us. Plus with the whole head thing he's the ideal Maguire replacement!

• Like 4

If he does go, just hope we do not start with the tortoise Twins in tandem.  Would rather see Benko being given a go with Evans.

What do nearly a quarter of people on the poll see in Soyuncu that I don’t? I want him to be good, but he’s never had an outstanding game and drops a couple of clangers every match even against lower league opposition. Would love to be proven wrong, but I don’t think he’s got it and definitely not to replace Maguire at the start of a season when we’ll hope to challenge for Europe. 

Ake would be fantastic but seems a long shot (surely any of the top 6 would take him?). I would not be unhappy with any of Dunk, Lascelles or Tarkowski - all in and around the England team, solid Prem defenders. I don’t think we have the time to bed in another from outside the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plastik Man said:

We could pair him with Knight in the U23s!

He's 22 and will have great potential resale value! I rather pay a cheaper price for someone in Europe then an overpriced Premier league defender! 

8 hours ago, ScotchFox said:

He's 22 and will have great potential resale value! I rather pay a cheaper price for someone in Europe then an overpriced Premier league defender! 

I don't disagree, but I was just making a play on words...  Having a knightmere! ? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ScotchFox said:

In which case stick with Soyuncu and Benkovic? 

So, Wes, Jonny, Caglar, Filip and Josh as our 5 first team CB's

Seems not unreasonable, but Rodgers has said he would get another if slab leaves

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So, Wes, Jonny, Caglar, Filip and Josh as our 5 first team CB's

Seems not unreasonable, but Rodgers has said he would get another if slab leaves

He's also said he is happy with the others and might not, I think we could be tempted to wait if there's no viable replacement that doesn't cost us £40-50m

Just now, Ric Flair said:

He's also said he is happy with the others and might not, I think we could be tempted to wait if there's no viable replacement that doesn't cost us £40-50m

Because I can be pathetic, childish and petulant when an entitled club comes in for one of our best players, I would love it (Full Kit Kevin Keegan invoked) if we could nab someone like Tah, just so their fans could moan about it. :thumbup:

• Like 2

No replacement - anyone we signed will take till mid-September to be up to speed with the defensive organisation, the relationship with centre backs and Schmeichel. 

It will be great getting the £90million or whatever but I'd like to tell United its too late on the principle we won't be bullied, we are ambitious and we won't allow you affect our season scratching around overpaying for a replacement. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

5 minutes ago, Cheesemaker22 said:

Vogt from Hoffenheim is another good ball-playing defender that could potentially replace Maguire

Excellent shout. Gerrimin.

His tackling and positioning seem superb from said extensive youtube video scouting :ph34r:

For this interested in this sort of thing

• Like 1

On 28/07/2019 at 19:41, ronnup said:

Tarkowski is the replacement if we need one. I expect the deal is already well discussed. He's on the verge of an England call up and has tidy feet. He's fine. I could see Harry and United having a mare and Tarkowski overtaking him when we cruise into the too 6 

He’s played twice for England, other than that I agree he’d be the guy I’d go for