Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

CB Targets : Who would YOU choose?

If Harry does leave - who should we replace him with?  

427 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one of the following, or suggest alternative

• Nathan Ake
    • James Tarkowski
    • Lewis Dunk
    • Jamaal Lascelles
    • Jonathan Tah
    • Çağlar Söyüncü
    • Filip Benković
    • No-one
    • Someone else - please specify

Guest bss9401

We would still have two senior centre backs plus Amartey. We would also still have two junior centre backs plus Amartey, not to mention under 23's. I would consider Tah to be the best of the rest given his age and promising form for Leverkusen. That choice might also release some funds towards another attacking midfielder/winger.

Of the domestic options I'd want Dunk. Better on the ball than Lascelles and Tarkowski and while Ake is almost certainly the better player, losing Maguire would mean losing a big physical presence and I'd maybe be a bit hesitant to replace him with someone under 6 foot. Not seen enough of Tah to judge - nor of Benkovic, but if anyone ought to know whether he's capable, it's Rodgers. Soyuncu I like and with experience should grow into a really good player but it's a bit of a gamble if we want a real good go at top 6.

Ultimately, every option's a risk. Buy locally and we'll get absolutely rinsed given the price for Maguire, buy abroad and there's no guarantee they'll settle in quickly and prove any more reliable than our current back-ups, whilst we've not seen enough of Soyuncu or Benkovic to know if they're up to it.

1 hour ago, LinekersApples said:

Based on? 

Ake has won Bournemouth's player of the season a number of times and that's despite their defence being poor. He's more suited to a Rodgers side as well, as well as being left sided like Maguire. There is a possibility that in selling Maguire and signing Ake, we actually improve.

Dunk and Tarkowski are both for me unquestionable downgrades on Maguire. Ake might not be. That's why I favour him - with all three likely to cost Tielemans money, if not more.

• Like 1

Encourage..motivate,what we have..

Soyu and Benny for me. We back what we have,we have no need to go on any speculative buying spree. We took on the normal path and found these 2,

What & how others believe new buys will be better...We started out backing our own,so why change now.Just because some think they know better..!!

Evans was bought has cover if he stays injury free,it's a bonus. Maguire stays gives Rodgers time to rebuild from within...with a good rotation and cover mentality...Our CB ,& whole B.line & cover is now healthier than any time since ,our Championship days...

Why waste money,when we invested last season. A bit more trust in those investments would be posts and opinions,better spent for this forum.

We have 4-6 CBs,potentially the best group over the last 6 years!!

3-5 FBs now potentially the best all round cover also for since promotion..

We are having too many plastic over zealous thoughts and blind ideas!!

recently. We have taken sometimes been forced to take the easy,easy approach,but it's given us a respected ethos,with a respected owner & management character. Why disrupt or change it,we have suffered tragedy but still been allowed to dream and keep our ambitions and potential high.

We shouldn't wander off that path now!!

We have players who also see the idea of strength in the team,a worthy value...

The club as become family...that ideology has gave us PL above top 10,

Chasing the higher covetted spots...

It's brought us an higher ambitious plain,with the next Manager compliment that next level dream of fans & management, but we still have to stay cautious,level-headed, even humble,the players are aware it can take them further...some fans need,to remind themselves,and not go into entitlement roles..also not become snidey or know-,alls over our Players...

• Like 1

Tarkowski is the replacement if we need one. I expect the deal is already well discussed. He's on the verge of an England call up and has tidy feet. He's fine. I could see Harry and United having a mare and Tarkowski overtaking him when we cruise into the too 6 

Totally confident that Soyuncu can fill the position if it becomes vacant......but not convinced that the vacancy will occur in this window .

Edited by PaulW
  • Like 1

Daniele Rugani linked to a loan move to Arsenal today, reports reckon Juve would want about £36m for a permanent.

6 ft 3, 25 tomorrow, plenty of Serie A and European experience. Juventus CBs always useful with the ball too.

I'm increasingly confident we won't need a replacement though. United have been adamant all summer they're working on one deal at a time, and Lukaku hasn't left; while Bruno Fernandes is seemingly the more active incoming at the moment.

If Maguire starts on Friday night I cannot believe we'd still be willing to sell in the final 6 days. It's this week or bust, IMO.

• Like 2

If £60 million would get Zaha, I would use the money from the Maguire sale on him, then offer Bournmouth Gray +£20 million for Ake. Selling either Mendy or Silva, plus Slimani, Diabate, Ghazzel, King and James would more than cover the £20 mil.

Don't need one as of yet, if Man Utd do sign Maguire then I think panic buying will not be helped, I think Rogers has looked at the defenders he has at hand and will of decided already and I guess initial contact has been made already to certain CB, or none at all. Think the money if Maguire is sold will be kept until January to push us towards a European place.