Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

CB Targets : Who would YOU choose?

If Harry does leave - who should we replace him with?  

427 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one of the following, or suggest alternative

• Nathan Ake
    • James Tarkowski
    • Lewis Dunk
    • Jamaal Lascelles
    • Jonathan Tah
    • Çağlar Söyüncü
    • Filip Benković
    • No-one
    • Someone else - please specify

5 minutes ago, Dave Fishwick said:

can't believe Ake has so many votes. Maguire's presence would be a big loss

we need someone with physicality and stature, especially when defending set pieces

Bournemouth's defensive record is atrocious

Yep. Ake is tiny. Literally bumped into him down here once and thought he was a kid. Him in a back 4 of Chilly, Ricardo and Evans would leave us susceptible to being bullied I feel. 

And like you say he's at the heart of a horrendous defence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

Soyuncu:

Cost £18m

23 years old

50 games in the Bundesliga

Made team of the season in the Bundesliga

24 caps for Turkey

We also have Benkovic who Celtic fans think is the best SPL centre back in Scottish football since Van Dijk.

If we don't think either of these is good enough to partner Evans then what a waste. I still think we're encouraging being linked to Tarkowski and Dunk to strengthen our stand on £90m Maguire by highlighting if we get our asking price then we still have to pay half of it on a much inferior CB. 

I thought it was fantastic forward planning of the club snapping Soyuncu and Benkovic up at the end of the last summer window. I'd love it if one of them played their way into the first XI this season.

The truth is, though, I don't think many of us can be confident that either is ready to do that yet. Centre-half is a position where mistakes can be costly, and both are at an age where they are bound to slip up occasionally.

In an ideal world, if Maguire does get sold on, then the CBs we have will be enough and we won't be forced into paying through the nose for a sub-par replacement. Since it looks like this season will be a great opportunity to kick on and challenge for the top 6 or 7, though, I'd understand if we did bring in a more experienced player to replace Maguire if he leaves, and loan out one of CS or FB. I just hope we find someone decent abroad for a sensible price if we do that.

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 06:30, Raw Dykes said:

I thought it was fantastic forward planning of the club snapping Soyuncu and Benkovic up at the end of the last summer window. I'd love it if one of them played their way into the first XI this season.

The truth is, though, I don't think many of us can be confident that either is ready to do that yet. Centre-half is a position where mistakes can be costly, and both are at an age where they are bound to slip up occasionally. 

In an ideal world, if Maguire does get sold on, then the CBs we have will be enough and we won't be forced into paying through the nose for a sub-par replacement. Since it looks like this season will be a great opportunity to kick on and challenge for the top 6 or 7, though, I'd understand if we did bring in a more experienced player to replace Maguire if he leaves, and loan out one of CS or FB. I just hope we find someone decent abroad for a sensible price if we do that.

Agree, the same as Wes, Harry and Evans did at various times last season.  Humans make mistakes. 

On 30/07/2019 at 12:10, RumbleFox said:

@henrik_62 Howdy.  Quick question and apologies if already covered.  I always thoguht Ajer at Celtic looked a real prospect and wondered what your thoughts on him are?  Do you think he has the potential to step up to the EPL?

No problem mate.

Hmmm good question, the answer will undoubtedly be yes if he keeps developing the way he is.  However at the moment I'm not sure he's ready to play week in week out in the EPL just yet, he's only been playing as a CB the last few seasons after Rodgers converted him from his natural position as a midfielder.  That said he is a top top player in Scotland and has done well in Europe for us, one of his biggest strengths is his ability to come out from the back with the ball and step into midfield and start attacks.

I'd be loathed to lose him just now as he's got so much improvement in him and already a vital player for us given we lost our two first choice CB's from last season.  AC Milan have been linked with him in the press up here today.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Rodgers go for him at some point now Maguire is gone as he was a huge fan of him.

• Like 1

SSN suggesting that Leicester City (quite rightly) will not be held to ransom by the likes of Burnley and Brighton for James Tarkowski and Lewis Dunk respectively. Having a substantially-boosted transfer budget will have its drawbacks and we should be very keen not to pay over the odds. And in my opinion, which often doesn't go down well around here, I don't rate either of these targets, especially at the valuations coming out of both of those clubs who are just protecting their assets or (at the risk of sounding hypocritical) letting them go for a substantial/overpriced transfer fee.

SSN also mentioned that LCFC may well just stick with what they have. And in my unpopular opinion, if that's the stance they are taking, I think Top 6 may well be optimistic, as our current set of CBs (Jonny Evans aside) are either unproven at this level (no, I'm not counting Benkovic's accolades from Celtic) or just not up to the standard for a Premier League CB pairing, week-in, week-out. People may not like this and nurse their keyboard egos with a witty remark, but that's my opinion.

6 days is a long time in transfer windows. Look at the Ayoze Perez signing came out of nowhere? Signing a decent replacement for a good, not great, England-international defender should not be as difficult as some make it out to be. Have pulled a blinder with the ~£80m for Harry Maguire, need to finish the job and use that financial nous to find that signing that no-one saw coming, at the right price.

Have the utmost faith in our club, that before the season starts, they will make the right decision.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2019 at 21:17, Gerard said:

Soyuncu:

Cost £18m

23 years old

50 games in the Bundesliga

Made team of the season in the Bundesliga

24 caps for Turkey

We also have Benkovic who Celtic fans think is the best SPL centre back in Scottish football since Van Dijk.

If we don't think either of these is good enough to partner Evans then what a waste. I still think we're encouraging being linked to Tarkowski and Dunk to strengthen our stand on £90m Maguire by highlighting if we get our asking price then we still have to pay half of it on a much inferior CB. 

I wouldn't say they aren't good enough to partner Evans, I still have question marks over them being ready for first-team football in the Premier League. I'd rather we continue to develop them for one more season (Söyüncü) or two (Benkovic). Benkovic has just come back from a lengthy injury spell and needs finding back to full fitness, I suppose a loan deal is on the cards.

Söyüncü does still come up with the odd blunder here and there, I can see him being our first choice CB - on the bench.

We do need a more experienced PL defender, so either Aké oder Lascelles for me.

Tah is a great call, as well. May I suggest Kevin Vogt (Hoffenheim), too?

Edited by MC Prussian

We’ve surely got to persevere and see how it goes until January otherwise what does it say about our ethos for giving youngsters a chance? And these are ones we’ve spent 35mil on not even from the academy loll

Edited by Clarkey123