Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

They’ve already started on opening up the access rd through the industrial estate to freeman’s Common to ease congestion and big talk about the Ivanhoe line opening back up. Obviously the stadium signed off and ready for mcclaren to move straight from the training ground on completion to start work on the stadium! Great times 

9 hours ago, UHDrive said:

I think the draft images were just that - draft. I think you could certainly get 14'000 to 16'000 extra in it. 

If you look at the internal pitch elevation you'll see that it doesn't match the elevations/roof which wraps itself around the whole building from end to end. This is where you get an extra 2-3'000 seats formby straightening the corners going up. As the upper tier rises up you would obviously get more seats because it wouldn't be an amex style expansion and it would have more more width. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the extension is indeed around 44-46'000 seater stadium.

I can't see what you're seeing. To me, the internal view of the east stand elevation does match the outside elevation.

There's never an extra 14k-16k extra seats with that design, anyway. I estimate that the east stand currently holds about 8k between where the curve on either corner begins. Adding 16k to it would make it 3 times bigger than it is now. That design appears to make it barely twice as big. I'd guess that design would add 8k max.

An extra 16k seats all on the east stand would make it about the same size as the north stand at Old Trafford, which is immense. That's just not going to happen.

We don't know that's what they're going with, though.

There may be plans to expand to 48k, but I strongly doubt it will be done without expanding the south and/or north stand as well as the east stand.

I'd prefer a straight roof, myself, mainly because you'd get more seats in. If you're going to make it that tall, why not make it that tall all the way across, rather than just at one point? I don't think a curve looks any better, if that's why. The Colosseum doesn't have bumps on the top of it.

7 hours ago, kenny said:

Also clear from that that the North and South stands are being extended to line through with the corners of the west stand. They may just be extending the concourses, but I doubt it somehow and some of the new seats will be accommodated here.

I think that's just the rooves being tarted up. One of those pictures shows how there is a new roof on the north stand which blends into the side of the new east stand. It doesn't look much taller, and it doesn't appear to have any added seats on the interior view.

The football club will have done more for the city than anything or anybody for probably centuries. An arena and facilitating the reopening of a railway line (if it happens) will be amazing. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Heymister2015 said:

They’ve already started on opening up the access rd through the industrial estate to freeman’s Common to ease congestion and big talk about the Ivanhoe line opening back up. Obviously the stadium signed off and ready for mcclaren to move straight from the training ground on completion to start work on the stadium! Great times 

The stadium expansion am I right in thinking has not even gone to the council yet for planning and sign off? Surely not starting work on it in the immediate.

9 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I can't see what you're seeing. To me, the internal view of the east stand elevation does match the outside elevation.

There's never an extra 14k-16k extra seats with that design, anyway. I estimate that the east stand currently holds about 8k between where the curve on either corner begins. Adding 16k to it would make it 3 times bigger than it is now. That design appears to make it barely twice as big. I'd guess that design would add 8k max.

An extra 16k seats all on the east stand would make it about the same size as the north stand at Old Trafford, which is immense. That's just not going to happen.

We don't know that's what they're going with, though.

There may be plans to expand to 48k, but I strongly doubt it will be done without expanding the south and/or north stand as well as the east stand.

I'd prefer a straight roof, myself, mainly because you'd get more seats in. If you're going to make it that tall, why not make it that tall all the way across, rather than just at one point? I don't think a curve looks any better, if that's why. The Colosseum doesn't have bumps on the top of it.

I've looked at this a heck of a lot and I can see that the internal elevs particularly to the corner stands make it look like the corner of the south/north stand is going to be blended in with the main new west stand (seating shape changes of course) This would add a good few thousand seats and possible (left+right) and send it to 46k total. It would make sense as the corners right now are dead space and the last current cantilever roof steels to the corners have been taken out of the drawing. This would also replicate the shape and curve of the roof and mean that all seats still flow at the same pitch but youd get that additional corner seating increase.

I agree with with everything you say, I guess they've designed it this way for 2 reasons, aesthetics and acoustics for atmosphere (which would benefit it).

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

The stadium expansion am I right in thinking has not even gone to the council yet for planning and sign off? Surely not starting work on it in the immediate.

It's alright, the speed they are going Mcclaren won't be finished on the training ground until summer. 

But seriously, this will have to go to planning and the size of the project there will be a lengthy consultation period. I'm going to presume they've been dealing with the council in the background and working to address any concerns etc. But still, there is a process to go through. 

Guest Markyblue
Just now, UHDrive said:

13-16 weeks max.

Season ends end of may, planning application jan/feb. Start after last match , its doable for a start at the end of this season possibly. 

27 minutes ago, thesilverfox said:

From what I understand the club are quite a long way down the path with the council, so when it goes to planning it should be a formality.

The only likely sticking point is the increase in traffic volume in the surrounding area

The traffic and parking would be a major concern.  Hope they are thinking through all possibly options, such as investing in park and ride schemes (sites are in place around the city) and looking at the rail line option - don't know if that is viable but would make sense also.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Guppy Assist said:

The traffic and parking would be a major concern.  Hope they are thinking through all possibly options, such as investing in park and ride schemes (sites are in place around the city) and looking at the rail line option - don't know if that is viable but would make sense also.

There's a multi story car park on the plans. I'd assume that'll be in consideration for Arena and Matchday so they'll likely outsource that/sell it so that it can be for public and not just a membership thing like current at ground parking.

Granted this doesn't solve the traffic issue.

31 minutes ago, thesilverfox said:

From what I understand the club are quite a long way down the path with the council, so when it goes to planning it should be a formality.

The only likely sticking point is the increase in traffic volume in the surrounding area

Planning is never that simple. If it is classed as a major multi development then it's a minimum of 13 weeks. If they require an environmental impact assessment (which I'd say so) then you are pushing 16 weeks. There is a big difference between council consultations and a full application requiring in depth reports and objections etc together with all of the detailed information that needs to be sent to the council that wouldn't form part of the pre app. Personally I think the highways infrastructure could be the biggest factor in this although I cant see to many issues with the development as a whole considering it will benefit leicester city centre as a whole.

6 minutes ago, AjcW said:

There's a multi story car park on the plans. I'd assume that'll be in consideration for Arena and Matchday so they'll likely outsource that/sell it so that it can be for public and not just a membership thing like current at ground parking.

Granted this doesn't solve the traffic issue.

Multi-storey car park lol

Good luck getting out of that after a game.

• Haha 2