Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

23 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Multi-storey car park lol

Good luck getting out of that after a game.

Agreed, need to think about options.  There is a really good walk down the river towards Aylestone Meadows, be worth putting a multistory or similar there and encourage people to walk to the ground.  Close links to the M1 and M69 motorway so easy to get in and out.

If the rumours that we were waiting to buy the Eon building are true, that would be game changing in my opinion. I’m hoping that part of the delay has been waiting for that as the shape and follow in and out onto the main road would be substantially better. 
Our owners are amazing and ploughing that sort of of money would make even more sense in the medium to long term as Ap posed to relocating. 
who knows that may open up the option to buy the retail park opposite and go all out down the line.

okay that’s my dream shared, won’t get my hopes up, but thought I’d put it out there!:fc:

18 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's rather sad that the guy at the forefront of the campaign to reopen the Ivanhoe train line, Geoff Bushell, died recently. 

Agreed.  There is general support for the re-opening and Amazon are on-board with it, given that there would be a station next to their massive warehouse in Bardon/Ellistown.  But I do worry that the campaign will lose some momentum as a result of Geoff passing. 

Not least, with all of the spending cuts from Covid, will the government want to put money towards something like this? Could well be mothballed again if the feasibility doesn't stack up..... in all honesty, is a leicester to burton line an absolute priority??? how many people would truly use it on a daily / weekly basis?

• Like 1

A

4 minutes ago, holyfox said:

If the rumours that we were waiting to buy the Eon building are true, that would be game changing in my opinion. I’m hoping that part of the delay has been waiting for that as the shape and follow in and out onto the main road would be substantially better. 
Our owners are amazing and ploughing that sort of of money would make even more sense in the medium to long term as Ap posed to relocating. 
who knows that may open up the option to buy the retail park opposite and go all out down the line.

okay that’s my dream shared, won’t get my hopes up, but thought I’d put it out there!:fc:

And the two car dealerships that would be grand

• Like 1

Just now, Greg2607 said:

Agreed.  There is general support for the re-opening and Amazon are on-board with it, given that there would be a station next to their massive warehouse in Bardon/Ellistown.  But I do worry that the campaign will lose some momentum as a result of Geoff passing. 

Not least, with all of the spending cuts from Covid, will the government want to put money towards something like this? Could well be mothballed again if the feasibility doesn't stack up..... in all honesty, is a leicester to burton line an absolute priority??? how many people would truly use it on a daily / weekly basis?

Trust me it would be worth it, I recently moved to Hugglescote and they are building houses left and right center here. Would make sense to build a railway line from Burton to Leicester, transportation wise I would rather take the train than drive down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Trust me it would be worth it, I recently moved to Hugglescote and they are building houses left and right center here. Would make sense to build a railway line from Burton to Leicester, transportation wise I would rather take the train than drive down.

So in theory, you'd use the train once a fortnight to get to home games......

The proposed Stations would be Drakelow, Gresley, Moira, Ashby, Coalville, Bagworth / Ellistown, Meynell’s Gorse and Leicester South.....

Clearly, I'm not part of any proposals, I just wander what the passenger numbers would look like on a daily use basis....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Guppy Assist said:

Agreed, need to think about options.  There is a really good walk down the river towards Aylestone Meadows, be worth putting a multistory or similar there and encourage people to walk to the ground.  Close links to the M1 and M69 motorway so easy to get in and out.

It's a good idea in principle. But a lot of fans are pushed for time. Will they have the time to make that walk, perhaps have a drink and a pie once at the ground, and make it to their seats before the game starts? Better public transport links are the key. These need to be improved before the club even thinks about ground expansion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Greg2607 said:

So in theory, you'd use the train once a fortnight to get to home games......

The proposed Stations would be Drakelow, Gresley, Moira, Ashby, Coalville, Bagworth / Ellistown, Meynell’s Gorse and Leicester South.....

Clearly, I'm not part of any proposals, I just wander what the passenger numbers would look like on a daily use basis....

Probably a lot because my work is based in London and I am working remotely right now but in the future I guess, I would commute at least 2 days to London so yeah it would be helpful in that regard.

There is a fair few City fans this way, I am sure it would be viable.

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

Probably a lot because my work is based in London and I am working remotely right now but in the future I guess, I would commute at least 2 days to London so yeah it would be helpful in that regard.

There is a fair few City fans this way, I am sure it would be viable.

on those routes though, there isn't a connecting train to London.  You'd have to walk from the KP through to the main train station I think to catch a connecting train to London. 

I don't disagree with you about fan volumes this way on, I've lived in  Market Bosworth, Bagworth, Ibstock and now Ashby.  I'd love there to be a train station in Ashby, so that I could catch the train into Leicester, plus no doubt, it would increase house prices... but we'll see. We can all live in hope!

48 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

on those routes though, there isn't a connecting train to London.  You'd have to walk from the KP through to the main train station I think to catch a connecting train to London. 

I don't disagree with you about fan volumes this way on, I've lived in  Market Bosworth, Bagworth, Ibstock and now Ashby.  I'd love there to be a train station in Ashby, so that I could catch the train into Leicester, plus no doubt, it would increase house prices... but we'll see. We can all live in hope!

I thought the planswas to take it all the way to London Road Station

Councils pledge £20k to investigate re-opening rail line - Leicestershire  Live

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

I thought the planswas to take it all the way to London Road Station

Councils pledge £20k to investigate re-opening rail line - Leicestershire  Live

You're probably right @davieG.  I was sure i'd heard something about being a problem with connecting to the mainline from where the KP line would intersect.... I may well be wrong though. 

***edit *** I've found this.....

Sadly, when the route was closed to passengers in 1964, British Rail simplified Knighton Junction at the Leicester end of the line. Wikipedia says this.

At the Leicester end of the line, Knighton North Junction has been dismantled and the former course of the line to the junction has been sold and turned into an industrial estate. The line’s remaining connection with the Midland Main Line is Knighton South Junction, which faces southwards, away from Leicester station. Trains between Leicester and the line therefore have to reverse direction at the junction.

Edited by Greg2607
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Multi-storey car park lol

Good luck getting out of that after a game.

Well exactly.... but i've never had much sympathy for people who can't be arsed to park half an hour away and walk if i'm being honest lol**

**Obviously hope there's space for those who NEED it for accessibility reasons.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

You're probably right @davieG.  I was sure i'd heard something about being a problem with connecting to the mainline from where the KP line would intersect.... I may well be wrong though. 

Sadly, when the route was closed to passengers in 1964, British Rail simplified Knighton Junction at the Leicester end of the line. Wikipedia says this.

At the Leicester end of the line, Knighton North Junction has been dismantled and the former course of the line to the junction has been sold and turned into an industrial estate. The line’s remaining connection with the Midland Main Line is Knighton South Junction, which faces southwards, away from Leicester station. Trains between Leicester and the line therefore have to reverse direction at the junction.

Yeah, I was aware of that but I'm sure they'll have something in mind otherwise as you suggest it's probably not going to be used enough.

5 hours ago, UHDrive said:

I've looked at this a heck of a lot and I can see that the internal elevs particularly to the corner stands make it look like the corner of the south/north stand is going to be blended in with the main new west stand (seating shape changes of course) This would add a good few thousand seats and possible (left+right) and send it to 46k total. It would make sense as the corners right now are dead space and the last current cantilever roof steels to the corners have been taken out of the drawing. This would also replicate the shape and curve of the roof and mean that all seats still flow at the same pitch but youd get that additional corner seating increase.

I agree with with everything you say, I guess they've designed it this way for 2 reasons, aesthetics and acoustics for atmosphere (which would benefit it).

I doubt adding to the corners in this way would happen. You run into visibility problems when building up corners past the height of the adjacent stand's roof. This is why corners tend to get filled in only after the stand on either side of it has been expanded. You could raise the roof of the north/south stand to get around this, or slope it up towards the east stand, but there's no sign of that on the images.

I'm hoping we do get something like 48k. That would be amazing, but I don't think it looks likely, at least with this expansion. I think it will probably be something like 40k-42k. Any extra seats would be welcome, really. Hopefully, we'll be filling the expanded stadium and planning to extend the north and/or south stand before too long, anyway.

I think you're right about aesthetics and acoustics. I kind of veered off in my last comment from replying to you to instead having an imaginary conversation with someone designing a curved-roof stadium. I just like the idea of possible further expansion in the future, and a curved roof suggests to me that it's less likely to happen.

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I doubt adding to the corners in this way would happen. You run into visibility problems when building up corners past the height of the adjacent stand's roof. This is why corners tend to get filled in only after the stand on either side of it has been expanded. You could raise the roof of the north/south stand to get around this, or slope it up towards the east stand, but there's no sign of that on the images.

I'm hoping we do get something like 48k. That would be amazing, but I don't think it looks likely, at least with this expansion. I think it will probably be something like 40k-42k. Any extra seats would be welcome, really. Hopefully, we'll be filling the expanded stadium and planning to extend the north and/or south stand before too long, anyway.

I think you're right about aesthetics and acoustics. I kind of veered off in my last comment from replying to you to instead having an imaginary conversation with someone designing a curved-roof stadium. I just like the idea of possible further expansion in the future, and a curved roof suggests to me that it's less likely to happen.

Look at the side elevation as it shows the corner turning stand to be increasing in rows/height just pass the midway 45 degree demarcation. The building facade has been upgraded to all sides and I'm sure if it was an option for them for the seating to be 360 symmetrical then that would be perfect. To me it seems like they've factored in the width of the building and they have got more than enough height. Having said all of that it makes you wonder how many seats that would benefit you from.

I totally agree with having the 48k seater stadium. This is a once in a lifetime development and 40-42k seems too low for how it is and the management wanted is regularly in europe which in 10--15 years is for me too much on the low side. It sounds greedy from me I know but maybe we dont have the fan numbers to go above 42k? I wouldn't be happy with 40k, it would all feel pointless.

13 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Look at the side elevation as it shows the corner turning stand to be increasing in rows/height just pass the midway 45 degree demarcation. The building facade has been upgraded to all sides and I'm sure if it was an option for them for the seating to be 360 symmetrical then that would be perfect. To me it seems like they've factored in the width of the building and they have got more than enough height. Having said all of that it makes you wonder how many seats that would benefit you from.

I totally agree with having the 48k seater stadium. This is a once in a lifetime development and 40-42k seems too low for how it is and the management wanted is regularly in europe which in 10--15 years is for me too much on the low side. It sounds greedy from me I know but maybe we dont have the fan numbers to go above 42k? I wouldn't be happy with 40k, it would all feel pointless.

Adding the extra capacity in future will cost more and require further alteration to the ground. It would make longer term to put the extra seats in now, this also builds the profile/image of the club along with the amazing training ground investment.

All sounds really promising if those eon buildings go, a proper stadium site.

6 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

From what I've heard adding a Leicester bound junction is feasible, though it does look tricky on Google maps without drastic changes to the industrial estate. 

Soulsby has been quoted as being keen on re-opening the line, it's the county council that seem less keen. If it happens it will take years, you can't just build a new junction, and you'd still need to fund an actual train service. I recall there being a train stop behind the Ricoh Arena, yet trains hardly ever actually stop there. Why would you!

It would be great if it comes to fruition, if it was used. Much of the line is just single track, which would restrict the number of trains running. My only reservation is that it runs past the bottom of my garden!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

From what I've heard adding a Leicester bound junction is feasible, though it does look tricky on Google maps without drastic changes to the industrial estate. 

Soulsby has been quoted as being keen on re-opening the line, it's the county council that seem less keen. If it happens it will take years, you can't just build a new junction, and you'd still need to fund an actual train service. I recall there being a train stop behind the Ricoh Arena, yet trains hardly ever actually stop there. Why would you!

It would be great if it comes to fruition, if it was used. Much of the line is just single track, which would restrict the number of trains running. My only reservation is that it runs past the bottom of my garden!

Replace your fence with a little home made platform and you are sorted for transport to future home games 

16 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

It never stopped at the Ricoh due to station size I believe and not enough room for flowing traffic 

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just bloody remember that when this does start and is costing the best part of £200m, that you try and refrain yourself when we haven't signed 3 players on transfer deadline day that we don't really need. 

Wont this count as the owner infrastructure so the club itself can still invest in playing staff?

Edited by Fox in the North