Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

1 minute ago, orangecity23 said:

Always gets me how they can have a train between 2 major cities like Leicester and Brum and its just 2 locomotive carriages coupled together. If you are defining a "train" as a number of carriages coupled together, then its literally the smallest combination they could use before you couldn't honestly even say it's a train anymore lol

Imagine my surprise coming home from the Villa semi final when they had three carriages. And then imagine my disappointment to discover that one of those three carriages was out of service :dunno:. Such an unpleasant journey - and there were people who didn't manage to get on. 

• Haha 1

The reason this game has not sold out is because the FA/Premier League have totally ruined the greatest competition in the world by making the 5th round a nondescript midweek date. If this game had been on a Saturday people would be begging for tickets.

In the great days of the 1960's & 70's, when I first went to Filbo, the FA Cup meant everything, especially as we were such a great cup side. I well remember queing over the bridge on Upperton Road on many Sunday mornings praying that I would get a ticket for a guaranteed 40k + sell out. In fact I remember Brum at home, I think it was 1961, where the gates were smashed down with at least 45k in there already.

In those days there was no question of playing a weakened side in the Cup, if anything players were left out of league games.

Halcyon days gone forever

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Imagine my surprise coming home from the Villa semi final when they had three carriages. And then imagine my disappointment to discover that one of those three carriages was out of service :dunno:. Such an unpleasant journey - and there were people who didn't manage to get on. 

What a troll move. Unbelievable that they can't even make the effort for major sporting events, it would be guaranteed to be full, just turning down free money.

Wait a minute - are all the people in here worried about expanding the ground because of cup match attendances, actually in charge of train sizes at Cross Country? Would make a lot of sense. Shall we have an extra carriage? Nah, could have an empty seat on a bank holiday, better leave it as 2.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

What a troll move. Unbelievable that they can't even make the effort for major sporting events, it would be guaranteed to be full, just turning down free money.

Wait a minute - are all the people in here worried about expanding the ground because of cup match attendances, actually in charge of train sizes at Cross Country? Would make a lot of sense. Shall we have an extra carriage? Nah, could have an empty seat on a bank holiday, better leave it as 2.

Positively they have announced they will be adding extra carriages for the trains on that route - although that won't kick in until the end of the season - obviously! 

• Like 1

I've still not got over Villa Park on that night in '74. If we got out on Wednesday without a whimper with a weakened side it will feel far worse than any League Cup defeat. The FA Cup's magic and prestige is long gone but its still an unscratchable ich. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

Always gets me how they can have a train between 2 major cities like Leicester and Brum and its just 2 locomotive carriages coupled together. If you are defining a "train" as a number of carriages coupled together, then its literally the smallest combination they could use before you couldn't honestly even say it's a train anymore lol

When I'm heading back on the train from Liverpool I often hop on the service running through Nuneaton (I think it starts at Birmingham but could be wrong) that goes through about 20 stops before it gets to Cambridge or Stanstead. It always has 3 carriages and without fail, every time I've got on this train it has been fvcking rammed, even at lunchtime on a Tuesday. It beggars belief.

Edited by ajthefox

36 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

The reason this game has not sold out is because the FA/Premier League have totally ruined the greatest competition in the world by making the 5th round a nondescript midweek date. If this game had been on a Saturday people would be begging for tickets.

In the great days of the 1960's & 70's, when I first went to Filbo, the FA Cup meant everything, especially as we were such a great cup side. I well remember queing over the bridge on Upperton Road on many Sunday mornings praying that I would get a ticket for a guaranteed 40k + sell out. In fact I remember Brum at home, I think it was 1961, where the gates were smashed down with at least 45k in there already.

In those days there was no question of playing a weakened side in the Cup, if anything players were left out of league games.

I remember joining a queue for cup tickets that ran from Filbert St, Burnmoor St, Raw Dykes Road, Aylestone Road to the railway bridge.

i was also locked out with 1000s of others from. 40k gate at probably one of the best games of the 60s when we beat Man U 4-3. My brother got in.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

When I'm heading back on the train from Liverpool I often hop on the service running through Nuneaton (I think it starts at Birmingham but could be wrong) that goes through about 20 stops before it gets to Cambridge or Stanstead. It always has 3 carriages and without fail, every time I've got on this train it has been fvcking rammed, even at lunchtime on a Tuesday. It beggars belief.

That's the one. It's a joy. Hate Crosscountry trains. So expensive, never have decent advanced priced tickets, and trains always seriously overcrowded. 

4 hours ago, shanetko said:

Judging by the fact we still have 5,000 tickets left to sell 2 days before a last 16 cup match, I’m yet to be convinced we’re ready for expansion.

People are using the cost as an excuse for our fan base. It’s £20/25. We were selling Championship tickets for more than that seven years ago. It’s a local derby and it’s not even televised. 

A lot of the home games go quite late and some don’t 100% sell out in full.

Does expansion just suit a few fans who wanna watch us against Liverpool, Man Utd etc but aren’t interested in likes of Burnley and Watford?

Why do you care if there's some fans that just want to go see the big matches? I cannot see what problem some fans have if there's a couple of thousand seats empty, does it ruin there enjoyment of the match?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I used to catch the said train a lot always full

I remember the 

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

I remember joining a queue for cup tickets that ran from Filbert St, Burnmoor St, Raw Dykes Road, Aylestone Road to the railway bridge.

i was also locked out with 1000s of others from. 40k gate at probably one of the best games of the 60s when we beat Man U 4-3. My brother got in.

I remember a queue for the final tickets v tranmere that went the same route was loads waiting

2 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Officially 41,916. Feb 1961

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/matches/?mid=2712

Edited by Blue Fox 72

Trains in this country are absolutely arse. Sheffield to Leicester should be a doddle but it’s increasingly becoming a bastard of a journey for no explicable reason 

15 hours ago, shanetko said:

Judging by the fact we still have 5,000 tickets left to sell 2 days before a last 16 cup match, I’m yet to be convinced we’re ready for expansion.

People are using the cost as an excuse for our fan base. It’s £20/25. We were selling Championship tickets for more than that seven years ago. It’s a local derby and it’s not even televised. 

A lot of the home games go quite late and some don’t 100% sell out in full.

Does expansion just suit a few fans who wanna watch us against Liverpool, Man Utd etc but aren’t interested in likes of Burnley and Watford?

We literally had this same discussion on here prior to the Wigan game and in the end we got over 30K - at the end of the day, its a mid week cup game that is scheduled about 2/3 weeks or so beforehand unlike PL games which we know are coming from July onwards. The demand is there, cup games are always slow burners until we get to the day of the game when it usually shoots up.

We've shown as a club, consistently, that we have great attendances and the demand is there - increasing capacity is the way forward. We grew from Filbert St. and people had the same concerns. If we want to move forward and match the ambitions that the owners have set its the only way forward.

53 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Tomorrow night hasn't sold out becasue of the pricing, nothing else. Why else would we have sold 28K home tickets for Wigan and 20K for Birmingham. 

Midweek makes a big difference too. Just doesn't feel like an FA Cup tie.

• Like 3

The fa concerned about the diminishing prestige of the fa cup ask fans for ways to improve it. ‘Make the final last game of the season, make more Saturday 3pm kick offs’ they say. So they play a round midweek and stream it on fvckin* Facebook, and they wonder why it’s taken less seriously.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Midweek makes a big difference too. Just doesn't feel like an FA Cup tie.

Let’s pretend we drew 4-4 in a thriller at St Andrews and that this is the replay - midweek cup replays always have a good atmosphere.  It is played to a finish tomorrow anyway.

The clubs, the FA and everyone else can **** off

Lcfc have spent years not giving a flying shit about this competition, continually putting out shit teams and disappointing the fans that would stupidly turn up. 

Unfortunately they are reaping the effects of this long term approach of rubbishing the competition. 

And as for them making these mid week just so it doesn't offend ***** like Klop, they will get what they deserve. 

The best domestic competition in the world has been systematically destroyed. 

Can't judge the need for expansion on this 

Edited by Lako42
  • Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Leicester City's catchment area is 3/4 million so 40000 is about right , perhaps won't fill it every match but if we become a fixture in the top six , most matches will be at capacity.